I Pads

cheri

Has anyone taked a Ipad on the ship and what are your thoughs about it. I am pretty sure I am getting one for my birthday in Nov. and we are getting on the ship then also and would like to take it with me. Is there a charge for using it. Thanks for all your help. Chderi

I have an IPad. You will love it!

If yours is wi-fi only, there will be a charge to use the ship's wi-fi. You can buy different packages of minutes. It can get pricey and the wi-fi is very slow.

I do not have 3G on mine so I can't speak to that, but I would think it would be the same as an iphone and you do pay for that access also. I understand it can get pretty steep, which is why some posters give specific instructions on how to turn off the features that access 3G.

I'm planning to borrow my brother's i-pad to access funville and to use his kindle app on board.

I've never even used it, so any tips anyone has on disabling wi-fi and/or 3g when reading (or playing angry birds..lol) would be appreciated. :D

I carry mine to download my digital pictures, watch movies, and listen to music. I use the free WI-FI in ports because it's faster, and FREE. You have to sign up for the WI-FI package to use the internet, so there's no accidental charges with WI-FI.

I've used mine and also don't have 3G on mine so can't comment on that. But you will be charged to access he ships Wi-Fi just like you would with a laptop.

I really enjoyed mine for playing Angry Birds :p and of course reading during down time. I would also watch a movie on the trip down and also while on board. I do suggest you get an anti-glare shield on your IPad so it is easier to see in the sun.

Yes, it's pretty simple to turn off the wifi. As I'm taking mine (and my wife is taking hers) in November, we use ours for the Kindle and transferring pictures.

I got an SD EyeFi card for my camera. The camera and my iPad set up their own Ad-Hoc network and all pictures from my camera are transferred to the iPad automatically. Ones that have been successfully transferred are automatically deleted when space is needed on the camera card. Amazing what technology can do these days isn't it?

Have fun on your trip!

I'm taking mine, but with the wifi turned off.

Settings -> Airplane Mode slide to ON

Settings -> Wi-Fi (select it first) -> Slide to OFF

Unless you have 3G no need to fool with any of that. You cannot connect to the wi-fi unless you set up an account and pay for it. It is much different than a phone.

I used mine on board Fantasy last month and had no problems at all. I even used it to connect to the Internet. As long as you log out you will not incurr any wi-fi changeds. Be sure and turn off 3G.

The real reason to turn wi-fi on and off is to save battery, not to avoid charges.

I carry mine to download my digital pictures, watch movies, and listen to music. I use the free WI-FI in ports because it's faster, and FREE. You have to sign up for the WI-FI package to use the internet, so there's no accidental charges with WI-FI.

Same here:) Download my pics and to watch movies while on the plane, I download them from netflix.

Yes, you can use your iPad as long as you don't need data (e.g. play games that don't need data, access locally stored info like photos, read downloaded books). I agree with the others, you don't have to turn wifi off to avoid accidental charges, you have to log in to access the ship's wifi.

As for iPad wifi+3G, you have to disable data roaming to avoid accidental charges. Go to Settings > Cellular Data, then switch off Data Roaming. You can also disable cellular data, but not necessary. I like to keep my cellular data enabled so as soon as I get a local AT&T (my service provider) signal, I get updates and/or use data right away.

I have the wi-fi 3G but never bothered to turn it off.

I still find it much harder in sunlight to read on the iPad even with the glare shield. Maybe I'm used to the Kindle since that is so clear even in bright sun.

I'm taking mine, but with the wifi turned off.

Settings -> Airplane Mode slide to ON

Settings -> Wi-Fi (select it first) -> Slide to OFF

Im thinking about taking my readr also and it has wifi also and the 3g. Im guessing I will have to turn that off also. Thanks Cheri

Has anyone taked a Ipad on the ship and what are your thoughs about it. I am pretty sure I am getting one for my birthday in Nov. and we are getting on the ship then also and would like to take it with me. Is there a charge for using it. Thanks for all your help. Chderi

I try to avoid going on the web while on a cruise but use my Ipad2 for

downloading camera pics, music, podcasts, games and apps.

Angry Birds HD and RIO are the bomb. Addictive.

Star Walk is awesome app for a clear night sky.

Sudoku, Pinball, Kindle....all great apps. No need to go online

if you put apps on the IPad before you go.

....this is sent from my Ipad2.

Enjoy.

:cool:

How do you transfer pics to the iPad without a computer? I just got my iPad and am still figuring everything out. I must say it is amazing! Thanks!

Same questions, I have a iPad and just learning how to use it.

Here is the "official" adapter that you can use with your iPad: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

This comes with one adapter to add the USB port and one for SD memory cards. If your camera use XD or another format you can connect it using the USB cable that came with your camera.

I'm sure there are some other versions out there as well. Pretty easy with just a plug in and away you go.

The nice thing about this is heaven forbid you loose your camera on day 4 or 5, you still have everything up to that point if you transfer them over. It also gives you a chance to sort through your pics little by little rather than 1600+ (the way I take pics!) when you get home. The other nice thing is that if you are traveling with a group you don't see at home, you can put together a pretty quick and easy slide show on a good size screen (as opposed to the little camera LCD) to show off the various shots you got. Might be something to pass the time for non-Bingo players before the main show :)

How do you transfer pics to the iPad without a computer? I just got my iPad and am still figuring everything out. I must say it is amazing! Thanks!

I believe you need the camera connection kit. You can buy it at any major electronic retailer.

Check out EyeFi camera cards. It's a mini-wireless network radio / camera card in one. Sets up a secured wireless network between your camera and ipad/android device to transfer pics automatically. Pretty amazing.

Check out EyeFi camera cards. It's a mini-wireless network radio / camera card in one. Sets up a secured wireless network between your camera and ipad/android device to transfer pics automatically. Pretty amazing.

do you need to access the ship's wi-fi for this?

and also, this may sound like a stupid question (forgive me). Since i'm borrowing said I-pad, would I be able to transfer the pics to my own laptop somehow, once I get back from vacation?

Archived