Help just booked Sept 25th Magic need hotel help please

thelistmaker

Just booked the Magic Sept 25th last night late and knew there was a festival in Barcelona but didn't think it would be this hard to find a reasonaable room for the 23 and 24th. I have booked the Aeta BCN40 for 495 euros for the 2 nights because it was cancellable if I find something better. I have looked at everything mentioned on this board back 10 pages and most not available for under 500 euros. I did find the Ayre Rosellon for 484 euros for 2 nights. Any help would be appreciated, my hands hurt from searching.

I did a quick search and I see what you are talking about! Try VRBO.com and look at apartments. Go to that site and in the lower right hand corner of the home page, there's a box that says VBRO #. Here are some that may work for you, just plug the numbers into that box and it will pull them up:

#357675, #337385, #372672

These are just a few, you can search for more. Just narrow your search function to the days you need. Note, even though an apt. may say they only rent weekly, they will often negotiate if it isn't rented, and rent for less days.

Thanks rugrats for the reply. I'm at it again today and I appreciate your help, I will look those up. I worry about finding a good price but getting in the wrong neighborhood so suggestions from those who know is extremely helpful. I'll get it all figured out here soon.

Hi,

I just used http://www.venere.com to see availability .

The NH Calderon Hotel and the NH Duc de la Victoria have available rooms. The Calderon is on my favorite street , Rambla Catalunya(not the same as Las Ramblas) a wide pedestrian boulevard just above Placa Cataluny.

It is a great convenient area to stay.

The Duc is in the older part of the city just below Placa Catalunya. Either one would be fine. They are both less expensive than what you booked.

Here are reviews for the Calderon:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d206921-Reviews-NH_Calderon-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Here's the Duc

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d230832-Reviews-NH_Duc_de_la_Victoria-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Thanks riffatsea I tried and when I went to those it showed no availability on Venere, must have missed it. Rugrats, really like those you sent, one responded to me the #372672 and has said he has availibility on HomeAway #902335, it looks great and perfect price. I would appreciate your thoughts on location and he is asking for e-mail credit card payment. I guess I have to assume that is safe since I contacted him? Your imput is much appreciated.

Try the Hesperia Ramblas just off Las Ramblas, on Calle Hospital. we stayed there in June prior to sailing.Nice hotel and staff were great. they even let us come back after we had debarked at the end of the cruise and use their luggage storage as we had a late return flight. That gave us an extra day in Barcelona

Thanks bluwes I checked it out and great location but for this festival weekend the price is over 750 euros. Still like the vacation rental, it offers a wire transfer payment option for the deposit which I may do to feel safer. Still looking, thanks everybody for the suggestions so far.

Thanks bluwes I checked it out and great location but for this festival weekend the price is over 750 euros. Still like the vacation rental, it offers a wire transfer payment option for the deposit which I may do to feel safer. Still looking, thanks everybody for the suggestions so far.

NO!! Never do a wire transfer! You have absolutely no protection if something goes wrong. We probably have rented ~15 houses/apartments from VRBO.com and have had only one problem and that was not due to a credit card. We just didn't find the apt. acceptable, and we did receive a refund in full. You can't keep your listing on this site if you are cheating renters.

Use your credit card (not a debit card). You have protection that way if there is a problem. Many owners will accept a credit card payment through PayPal (though some will charge a small surcharge for this), which adds another level of protection.

VRBO.com/Homeaway.com has a very good reputation. It is so much nicer, at least for us, to have the amenities that an apartment or house provides versus a hotel. This apt. looks as if it's in a great central location, and so much cheaper than the hotel you found. Please post what you decide to do.

rugrats, thank you so much for your insight. I have never done a wire transfer and probably wasn't going to do one here but it was a thought. Now I know, thank you. I too think this is a great value and a good location. I also appreciate that you have delt with VRBO and Homeaway and have eased my worries about doing this. As soon as my DH approves I will book and post here. Thanks again!!

Just booked the Magic Sept 25th last night late and knew there was a festival in Barcelona but didn't think it would be this hard to find a reasonaable room for the 23 and 24th. I have booked the Aeta BCN40 for 495 euros for the 2 nights because it was cancellable if I find something better. I have looked at everything mentioned on this board back 10 pages and most not available for under 500 euros. I did find the Ayre Rosellon for 484 euros for 2 nights. Any help would be appreciated, my hands hurt from searching.

Try: http://www.MarinaViewBcn.com great B&B not far from the Columbus Monument

Thank you scottbee, I have sent an e-mail request and waiting for a reply. Rugrats, well I thought I had an apartment #902335 at HomeAway but the reply to my questions about the apartment and payment were responded to with the message that it had been rented. The response was short and in very broken English which left me feeling that it was not what it seemed. I had asked about exact location and specifics for deposit before providing credit card info. So I am back at it this morning.

I do understand that rugrats but this return e-mail was very different from the first one and it was very short almost as if they were aggrivated that I had asked for particulars. Then the e-mail directed me to yet another web site for rentals, I'm just moving on from that even though it looked perfect for us. I am currently waiting on a reply for an apartment through lovingbarcelona.com. It is in El Born #11352. Just waiting, thanks again.

Have you checked the Marriott website. The Renaissance (where we have our reservations) shows availability for $215 a night and a boutique hotel (Gava Mar) which is 3 miles from the airport shows $144.50. Photos of each are available. We always book Marriott when available.

B. Cole

Thanks Cole, yes, I checked Marriott first as we are gold members but nothing was available with points and the only property I would want to stay as far as location is the hotel arts which is 605 euros/night. The others just are not in the city where we want to be. Finding a lot of different apartment rental agencies now and they have some very reasonable apartments. I'm checking reviews on tripadvisor and will probably book something tomorrow. I got sidetracked today looking at port information for our cruise, so excited. Thanks again for your reply.

Possibly the most popular weekend of the year in barcelona, La Merce is a superb festival.

Try Catalonia Portal de l'Angel on BOOKING.com E524 including Breakfast

http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/cataloniaalbinioni.en-gb.html?aid=303619;sid=f8b8ca5978259e8a16dc0dd25ca21040;checkin=2011-09-23;checkout=2011-09-25;srfid=c3e2ff6c5c28ab4a107c541ec7c8da1aX13

Whatever you do, don't hesitate, everything is filling quickly.

Thank you Andym, I did see that hotel earlier and like the looks of it. I currently have the Hotel Acta BCN reserved but I can cancel. That is on a cruise special of $669 for the 2 nights. This hotel would be $663 for 2 nights but I would have to pay in advance for that. Since I am still looking at apartments that are much cheaper I want to have the cancel option but I do understand your point of booking now because everything is being taken. If I spend less money on a hotel I have more money for touring, shopping and drinking.

Well I just booked Circa 1905 which is a B & B for $346 for the 2 nights and it includes breakfast. It's an interior courtyard room with a bath.

http://www.circa1905.com/eng/home

I think I like this area and everything about this so I may quit looking. Oh, this is also cancellable until 7 days prior but I don't think I will find anything better. I would appreciate info on this area please and feedback if you think this would be a mistake. Thank all of you for responses.

Well I just booked Circa 1905 which is a B & B for $346 for the 2 nights and it includes breakfast. It's an interior courtyard room with a bath.

http://www.circa1905.com/eng/home

I think I like this area and everything about this so I may quit looking. Oh, this is also cancellable until 7 days prior but I don't think I will find anything better. I would appreciate info on this area please and feedback if you think this would be a mistake. Thank all of you for responses.

I do not know this B&B but like what I see on the web page.

We stay in Barcelona quite frequently and are always on the lookout for new places to stay.

It would be nice if, when you get back from your stay, you could post and let us know what you thought of it.

It is a wonderful neighborhood!!

You can stroll down my favorite street ,Rambla Catalunya which has outdoor cafes/bakery/grocery/wine/cheese shop etc. You can walk to La Pedrera, one of Gaudi's masterpieces and down Passeig de Gracia which is like 5thAve in Manhattan.

I would love to hear how you like your stay as the place looks just lovely!!

English & riffatsea, Thanks for your responses. Yes, I will definately post when we return. My google search didn't find many reviews but their web site does look really good doesn"t it. When I booked it was their last room, they only have 9, so I feel lucky to have happened upon it.

• 1 month later...

Just returned last evening from our cruise and our pre cruise stay in Barcelona. Carol: we loved Circa 1905 and riffatsea: the area was perfect. This small B & B is a gem. It is located on the second floor of an apartment building. You enter a huge woden outside door and assend the stairs to the entrance of Circa 1905 (there is a lift). They buzz you in to an entrance area that makes you feel like you are in a home in the countryside. Our room was their only interior room and it was bigger than out inside cabin on the cruise. It is exceptionally clean and well appointed.The staff spoke English well, which was good for us because my Spanish needs work. (My new task is to study Spanish and Italian before our next trip) We looked into the room across the hall as the guests left and it was perfect. Large room with high ceilings and a perfectly lovely ourdoor terrace. There are 4 rooms with the outdoor terrace with a little table and chairs for each and 4 rooms with a balcony overlooking the street. Ours was the only interior room but it had it's own atrium access. One wall was french doors opening into this skylight atrium which had a table with chairs that you could sit and take breakfast, lovely. It was quiet and just steps from everything.

We loved Barcelona and felt very safe. We NEVER saw the pickpockets and we looked. Both of us felt safer than New Orleans or New York in the states and we go to those cities all of the time. Yes, we appreciate being forewarned and we were cautious but it was not even close to what we immagined because of the posts here. I will post a trip report later but I'm knee deep in laundry right now.

Archived