Veendam Qs - ok for solo? which NYC airport/how to get to ship from airport?

bottomfeeder

I'm considering a solo cruise to celebrate a "milestone" birthday, at the last minute. Currently considering the Veendam to Bermuda on September 4th.

I have a couple questions though that I"m hoping someone here can help with. Was going to try the roll call but it seems there isn't one!

First, in terms of getting there, if I fly in that morning what time would my flight need to arrive to get me to the ship by say 2 PM? And of LGA/EWR/JFK is there one that is much better or worse in terms of convenience/cost to the pier? And what transportation options are best? Should I buy a transfer from HAL? (It looks like it would be cheaper than a taxi, but not sure what public trasnport options there might be.)

Second, while I'm certainly happy by myself most of the time, I am a little worried that everyone on the ship will be part of couples or family groups and that I"ll really feel like a 5th wheel. Does anyone have feedback on that?

Third, am I crazy to think of flying in the day of the cruise? (I know it's safer to come in the day before, but I'm a little leery of hotel costs and hassles and reluctant to impose on my former in-laws who live in the area for a night's lodging.)

Thanks for any assistance!

Laguardia is probably the best airport but all depends on the price you get. The subway is not close to the port so the best idea is a cab or a shuttle from the airport. I would say the cab ride is about 30-45 minutes. The cab will probably cost around 30 bucks tops. I assume the shuttle will go to the port and should be around 15 bucks.

Have fun!

LGA is the closest and therefore the cheapest by taxi. HAL transfers are $37 pp each way for either JFK or LGA, so for a solo traveler its a toss-up cost wise and there's some benefits to each choice. HAL transfers are the most convenient but you may sit a while waiting for the bus to fill up. You can also pre-book some group vans for a little cheaper than a taxi, but they make multiple stops and are the least attractive choice to me. Since we are a couple, we're taking a taxi.

I don't think you'll feel like a fifth wheel at all. You'll find lots of others traveling alone. Most activities don't need a partner, and for meals you'll either either be seated with others (MDR) or you can ask to join someone you see eating alone in the Lido, or simply sit at a small table alone if that's your choice. On a ship it's very easy to start a conversation!

Even in the summer we don't think it's a good idea to fly in on embarkation day. If you stay out near LGA it's not hard to find very reasonable priced hotels and take a taxi to the pier in the morning. On a Sunday morning it should take no more than 30 min to go the 10 miles.

BTW there is a pretty good sized Roll Call ... about 20 posters and almost 100 posts: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1440159

I cruise solo a lot. Many cruises I don't know a soul aboard before I get there. A cruise is an easy environment to meet new people and have folks to pal up with---or not, as you choose.

I suggest you consider fixed dining, as you will have the same people to look forward to seeing every night. You'll get comfortable with them, and be able to share the details of the day.

I don't know where you're flying in from, so can't speak to the advisibility of coming in the day before. When I have sailed out of NYC, and flown in, I have come that day.

I prefer to fly in to Newark, then take the HAL transfer. No muss, no fuss. Meet the HAL representative at baggage claim, then let the rep take care of everything.

When going as a solo it's usually less expensive to use a HAL transfer than any other method.

I'm considering a solo cruise to celebrate a "milestone" birthday, at the last minute. Currently considering the Veendam to Bermuda on September 4th.

I have a couple questions though that I"m hoping someone here can help with. Was going to try the roll call but it seems there isn't one!

Here's the link to your Sept 4th roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1440159

I went as a solo on a 17 night cruise around South America in January on the Veendam. I had a great time. I met up with someone from my roll call before boarding in Buenos Aires, and met others from the roll call on the ship. Attended trivia and met people there also.

I'd have no problem going solo on the Vendamm to Bermuda. We were on several weeks ago and this is what HAL "suggested" for time/$$$$$ from airports to pier. LaGuardia to Pier:45 min/$35 JFK to pier 1 hr/$45 Newark to pier 45 min/$60 Penn Station or Port Authority to Pier: 10 min/$10. If you really don't want to fly in a day prior, arrive by noon. It will take you a while to collect your luggage and get to a cab. You will have no problem getting a cab and being a SUnday around noon, you should have to travel problems from the airport to the pier. Being a single passenger, on your return, it might end up being a better deal to take a HAL transfer to the airport. I don't recall what the fare was, but being a single, it might be even less than getting a cab, solo. Again, I would not plan on a flight home before noon. You most likely wont' have any weather issues delaying or canx your flight, but there are a multitude of other reasons that a flight could be delayed or canx. Depending where you are flying from, and if they can't get you onto another flight to get you to NY by noon.............come the day before! You certianly won't be bored in the big apple on a Saturday evening. Labor day weekend, I'd bet you could get your choice of any broadway play ticket at the 1/2 price kiosk and check on Expedia or Travelocity....not all NYC hotels are an arm and a leg! Again, last weekend of summer, you'd probably get a pretty good rate. Everyone else will be "out on the island!"

Consider using Dial7 limo service from LGA if you fly in the morning of your cruise. An online booking will get you a sedan for $29.00 plus tip and any tolls. If you stay at one of the LGA area hotels you can have them pick you up on cruise morning at the hotel for a few dollars more than the $29.00 rate. If your stuck in traffic in a taxi or your driver decides to take the "scenic route" to the pier, that meter keeps ticking.

Last Sept. we took a cab from the Manhattan pier to LGA and the cost was $27.00 plus tip. No scenic routes or heavy traffic:).

Flying in a day early is advisable. Good luck.

Archived