Two days in Bermuda (King's Wharf) need advice..

nitka

Hi, what is there free or cheep to do in King's Wharf Bermuda, we are on a budget, also want to know if the horse shoe beach is free.. And is Kings Wharf a good port? Any suggestions are greatly appreaciated from the ones that have been to Bermuda.. :)

Have you been to the Ports of Call board for Bermuda? I think the beaches are free...My last visit I bought the bus/ferry pass, got on one bus at King's Wharf and rode it to Hamilton, stayed on it all the way to St. George's. Got off and walked around, then got on another bus back to Hamilton, where I changed for a fourth bus back to Dockyard. They each took different routes, so I got a good look at the island. I also rode the ferry over to Hamilton and did a little shopping. Window shopping is free, and I believe the Dockyard Museum is reasonable. EM

Nitka:

You need to know that King's Wharf is basically just a cruise ship dock, and it is some distance to Hamilton and most of the popular beaches. Lots of busses will take you all over the island and they are fairly inexpensive. There is also a ferry from Kings Wharf to downtown Hamilton which is also fairly inexpensive and will get you there faster than the bus. They have built lots of shops and some restaurants right at the dock, so you can walk around and see a bit, but you really should get out and see this beautiful island. Don't know if its in your budget or if its something that appeals to you, but many (including me and my wife) rent scooters which allow great freedom to travel the whole island. Just get a map, decide what looks interesting and go. Just remember to drive on the LEFT! That may take a little getting used to, but I found it easy after the first few minutes. They rent them right near the dock. You might find prices a bit steep in Hamilton. Lunch for my wife and me was over $70 US, so be careful. If you make it all the way over to St. George you might find it a bit more casual and somewhat quieter than Hamilton. Whatever you decide, enjoy the pink sand, the pastel houses with all the flowers, and have a rum swizzle or a dark and stormy.

Kings Wharf (the old Royal navy Dockyard) is essentially a tourist trap with a lot of fairly pricey shops. The museum is reasonable - maybe even free. The best place for lunch is the Frog and Onion. Busses are reasonable way to get around island (and to the free beaches) if you do not want to try renting a scooter. There is a ferry direct to Hamilton from Dockyard- again fairly pricey stores and expensive restaurante -- but try The Hog Penny for lunch. You can get to St. George, at the east end of the island by bus, or ferry from Hamilton -- great smaller town -- try the White Horse for lunch --

Food is expensive in Bermuda, so eat on board if you want to go cheap. There is a Dockyard Mall within walking distance of the ships, where you can buy tee shirts, cheap dresses, bracelets and other trinkets at reasonable prices. I found Hamilton to have expensive shopping so not worth going there. Take the number 7 bus at the ship's pier to Horseshoe Bay if you want to go to a beach.

The local bus system is very cheap and drops off at most free beaches along the way. You can take a water taxi across the bay to Hamilton rather than take the bus all the way around. Hamilton is quite pedestrian and you can find free things to do there.

Archived