Montreal & Boston pre, post cruise ?'s

ccmg

Since the problem with the rate seems to be tied into sending the rate page rather than just the link to aa.com is it better to resubmit the claim with an explanation in the comments? Have already sent them the website in an e-mail reply but haven't heard back from them. I'm at 23 hr right now.

Since the problem with the rate seems to be tied into sending the rate page rather than just the link to aa.com is it better to resubmit the claim with an explanation in the comments? Have already sent them the website in an e-mail reply but haven't heard back from them. I'm at 23 hr right now.

I honestly don't know what they would do after 24 hours, but if you have any doubts just cancel and start again. I did that once and got the correct rate finally.

Great to hear we won't need a car in either city. What's the best way to get from YUL to the hotel? Still deciding which one, but the AA sites price for the Intercontinental looks really good. Didn't get a chance to check out Spring Hill Suites yet. Cab? Lino service? Other?

Depending on your budget and the effort you are willing to put in, there are different ways to get downtown. There is a direct city bus called the "747" it runs about every 20 minutes and costs $7 per person. It stops a couple of places downtown but then you still need to get to your hotel. There is a flat fixed fare by taxi into the downtown core. It is $38.00 + tip. There are also flat fares for airport limos, closer to $50 + tip.

http://www.admtl.com/Passengers/AccessAndParking/TaxisAndLimousines.aspx

Taxis are always plentiful at YUL so unless you are on a really limited budget and want to take the bus I would recommend a regular taxi.

As for the Springhill suites, it does include a very good breakfast and the rooms are fine. but it doesn't have much of a lobby and the pool is the smallest I have EVER seen in a hotel. It is on a very drab street in Old Montreal. I have stayed there for work a few times and it is fine but it can't compare to the upscale quality of the Intercontinental. I have not stayed at this Intercontinental but have been in the lobby and have friends that have stayed an loved it.

Also, I like the location of the Intercontinental better as it is closer to downtown. An easy walk to the center of Old Montreal. And a longer and uphill walk into the downtown core but still relatively easy.

When it is time to board your ship, the hotel will help you get a taxi or a car service.

Don't forget to take an evening 'Caleche' tour in Old Montreal. Fantastic!

Out on sick leave with bad back so don't mind answering any other questions if you have any.

Well Marriott had 6 hours to respond to our last e-mail yesterday before our 24 hrs were up but never did. So earlier today I made a new reservation and sent a claim form right away. About 5 hours later they sent an e-mail with the lower rate of $114.99 plus tax! After checking the reservation to make sure everything was correct, I went to cancel the reservation from Wed only to find that at some point they had corrected that one also to $114.99.

Also booked the Intercontinental in Montreal through aa.com for $123.08/night.

Thank you so much for all your help! I'll be passing this info on to my friends who are on this cruise.

Now on to planning what to do in Montreal and Boston.

Well Marriott had 6 hours to respond to our last e-mail yesterday before our 24 hrs were up but never did. So earlier today I made a new reservation and sent a claim form right away. About 5 hours later they sent an e-mail with the lower rate of $114.99 plus tax! After checking the reservation to make sure everything was correct, I went to cancel the reservation from Wed only to find that at some point they had corrected that one also to $114.99.

Also booked the Intercontinental in Montreal through aa.com for $123.08/night.

Thank you so much for all your help! I'll be passing this info on to my friends who are on this cruise.

Now on to planning what to do in Montreal and Boston.

Looks like you got a great deal in both places. Good work!

Thanks, monicajay. Was wondering if you can tell me how far the Intercontinental is from the port? I've passed on the information about the hotel to friends and that was the question that came back from all of them. lol From the very small map I have it doesn't look that far but not exactly sure where the terminal is located.

Thanks, monicajay. Was wondering if you can tell me how far the Intercontinental is from the port? I've passed on the information about the hotel to friends and that was the question that came back from all of them. lol From the very small map I have it doesn't look that far but not exactly sure where the terminal is located.

It is less than 3/4 of a mile. I could walk there in about 12 minutes (without luggage). If you are in good shape and have good rolling luggage you could actually walk to your cruise. Most would take a taxi though.

On the attached map, the cruise pier is the first one on the left. Your hotel is on St. Antoine St. also on the left.

loc_2a.pdf

That's exactly what I needed. All the maps I found were really confusing me as to what pier was for the cruise ships. Mapquest wouldn't pull it up no matter what name I tried to use. Love the fact that it's so close. we will definitely be taking a taxi.

This is a chartered cruise and just this morning it wassuggested that we try to book in Old Montreal if possible.

Couldn't have gotten these great deals without 138east's,Twickenham's and your help!

That's exactly what I needed. All the maps I found were really confusing me as to what pier was for the cruise ships. Mapquest wouldn't pull it up no matter what name I tried to use. Love the fact that it's so close. we will definitely be taking a taxi.

This is a chartered cruise and just this morning it wassuggested that we try to book in Old Montreal if possible.

Couldn't have gotten these great deals without 138east's,Twickenham's and your help!

Got to love the internet!

I love helping people because so many people have helped me. You will love the quality and location of the Intercontinental.

Don't forget to find some of the outside concerts for the Jazz fest.

"Twickenham" this is the greatest tip for all of us!! My husband and I have been Marriott Rewards Card holders for years and make reservations at Marriotts whenever possible. We never knew about this "Look No Further" feature! We just took your advice --so helpfully repeated by "Nanner"-- and reserved the Marriott Boston Copley Place for July 13th following your clear directions. Hopefully we'll receive the $115 rate as everyone has done.

Thank you both for this great advice!

Bonita

Ah, two of my favourite cities for getting Look No Further rates with Marriott. In case you don't know, Marriott has a lowest-rate match policy, called "Look No Further", where if you find a lower published rate, they will match it plus give you 25% off the lower rate. This excludes certain rates (including pre-paid, 'voucher' rates), but I've gotten several claims accepted, including the Marriott Château Champlain (which is fine if you can get it for the right price, although the SHS is closer to the port), and the Marriott Copley Place in Boston, where I'll be staying this week for $105/night :)

Here's how it works:

-Reserve the cheapest rate you can find on marriott.com - I checked for your dates, and it's a fully cancellable $249;

-Submit a claim here: http://www.marriott.com/hotel-rates/pop-up.mi , within 24 hours of making your reservation, providing the link to the lower rate - I found a rate of $153.33 on AA.com for your dates;

-If the claim is accepted, your rate will be reajusted to around $115.

If for whatever reason they reject the claim, you can still cancel, but this is the same site I used for my own claim, so you should have no problem.

"Twickenham" this is the greatest tip for all of us!! My husband and I have been Marriott Rewards Card holders for years and make reservations at Marriotts whenever possible. We never knew about this "Look No Further" feature! We just took your advice --so helpfully repeated by "Nanner"-- and reserved the Marriott Boston Copley Place for July 13th following your clear directions. Hopefully we'll receive the $115 rate as everyone has done.

Thank you both for this great advice!

Bonita

I totally agree.......also have been a Marriott Rewards Card holder and never knew about this. Just booked the Marriott Copley Place for September 2012 and submitted our claim. Received an email back one hour later confirming the lower rate plus the 25% discount. Thank you so much "Twickenham"!!!

• 3 weeks later...
We are booked for a 2012 HAL Canda/New England cruise. Never been to Montreal or Boston and wondering how much time to allow. The cruise is Dat to Sat and thougooht we would arrive in Montreal sometime on Wed. We would leave Boston either on Mon or Tues. Will this give us enough time to really "see" the cities.

Which date are you sailing DH and I are booked on the June 9-16.We are booked for 2 nighs re cruise in Montreal.The weekend of our depature Montreal is hosting The Formula 1 race,It should be very crowded but one big Party,Booked our Hotel back in October.The Hotel prices are higher then usual that week.

Boston we are doing 4 nights post cruise...We are excited ,were able to buy 2 tickets to see The Miami Marlins play @ Fenway Park.Also planning on taking a day tour to Plymouth, Salem or Concord.

Post back if you go to Concord. I live in the next town and can make suggestions. Are you going to rent a car? That is the best way to get to any of the towns you are looking at.

Concord has both the Revolutionary War stuff and the Trancendentalists (Emerson, Thoreau, Alcotts, etc), so there is history from the 18th and 19th century. Going to Lexington first and then following the Battle Road to Concord is a nice trip.

• 2 weeks later...
Post back if you go to Concord. I live in the next town and can make suggestions. Are you going to rent a car? That is the best way to get to any of the towns you are looking at.

Concord has both the Revolutionary War stuff and the Trancendentalists (Emerson, Thoreau, Alcotts, etc), so there is history from the 18th and 19th century. Going to Lexington first and then following the Battle Road to Concord is a nice trip.

Since you live in the area I thought you might be able to answer a couple questions for me..(actually non cruise related this time) We will be flying into Boston june 16th for a wedding in Newport and will not fly out until the 20th. We will probably stay in the Boston area June 18-20 and Newport for the other 2 days. My husband would really like to see a whale..is this possible in the areas listed (or anyplace within driving distance)? We are wide open except for the 16th...any ideas or suggestions would be awesome! thanks

Since you live in the area I thought you might be able to answer a couple questions for me..(actually non cruise related this time) We will be flying into Boston june 16th for a wedding in Newport and will not fly out until the 20th. We will probably stay in the Boston area June 18-20 and Newport for the other 2 days. My husband would really like to see a whale..is this possible in the areas listed (or anyplace within driving distance)? We are wide open except for the 16th...any ideas or suggestions would be awesome! thanks

There are whalewatch options in Boston, Plymouth, Cape Cod, and Newport.

Archived