Aft Balcony on Deck 6 or Side Balcony on Deck 7?

eroller

Both are available with very little price difference.

The side balcony on Deck 7 is far enough aft it has the open balcony rail instead of partial steel. I like the fact there are cabins above and below.

Of course the aft facing cabin on Deck 6 has the fully enclosed steel rail which is unfortunate but I love looking at the wake.

I've never sailed on an R-Class ship before. The ship would be the AZAMARA QUEST. Do these ships have excessive vibration and movement compared to others? I also notice they have an aft anchor which is unusual. Do they actually use it? If they do that would create quite a racket when it's lowered and raised.

Any opinions, suggestions, pros & cons, and actual experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I'm very much looking forward to sailing Azamara regardless of which cabin I end up with.

Ernie

Attached is a picture I took of the aft end while on a Windstar cruise, which shows the anchor.

web.jpg?ver=12522893110001

Fwit, recently cruised in cabin 7109 (roughly 5 from the back). This is a very quiet location (very little foot traffic).

However if you are a very light sleeper, you may pick up on a pulsing from the engines. I was the only one to pick up on it and it is only after you are aware if it that you seem to hone in on it (basically checking to see if it is still there (a bit like touching a sore point to make sure it is still sore:)). Would I go back to this cabin: without hesitation.

As for anchor, I am no expert but one of the waiters was complaning that he was always up early because his cabin was near the anchor which was at the bow.

@eroller-

We have done four TAs in cabin 6090 or 6093 - by design. Aft cabin is the only way we cruise, no matter which ship. The steel rail does not bother us. Once you sit up in your bed, you can see the wake. The ships are listed in our signature; our pix are at smugmug as listed below. Above a certain speed there is some vibration, but it's not bothersome to us.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

One more question about the aft facing balcony. Would you go for Deck 6 or Deck 8?

I'm think Deck 6 since Deck 8 has the outdoor section of the buffet restaurant right above which might mean more noise and less privacy?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ernie

Well I took the plunge and booked my first Azamara cruise. I've always wanted to sail on an R-Class ship so now is my chance!

I ended up booking cabin 6090, which is an aft-facing on Deck 6.

I hope we will enjoy it!!

Ernie

@Mustsea -

Yes, just about 7.5 ft deep. See pic.

Juergen (and Helen)

Via Tapatalk & iPod touch.

What does the sign attached to the railing say? I've never seen that before.

Ernie

Archived