Madrid to Barcelona Train

I am surprised no one has suggested flying. There are flights for $50/pp and they are much quicker then the trains I have looked at. I was shocked how expensive the trains are.

Not a chance flying is faster if you're heading downtown to downtown. The train is 2h35m, and runs downtown to downtown. Flights @ €50 aren't going to include luggage either. So by the time you factor in

• getting to the airport
  • security time at station vs security time at airport
  • luggage costs
  • getting from the airport

Train will be faster and cheaper as it's downtown to downtown

As for 'expensive', you realize that you're talking 600+km ? (that's 400 miles for non metric system people). How much does a flight or the train cost from Boston to Philadelphia, I'll guess a heck of a lot more.

When we booked on Feb 18, 2012 for travel on April 20,2012 just inside the 62 day time frame, discounted tickets ranged from 41,50 Euro to full price 117 Euro. This is one way Barcelona to Madrid. The price was determined by the time selected. The cheapest fares were early and late. We opted for 55,50 Euro at 8:25 a.m.

Can you please let me know what time you leave the ship and how do you get to the train station? Was the line for taxi long? Did you make reservation for taxi or you just wait in line? We are doing the 8.25 am from Barcelona-Madrid like you on May 23.

Not a chance flying is faster if you're heading downtown to downtown. The train is 2h35m, and runs downtown to downtown. Flights @ €50 aren't going to include luggage either. So by the time you factor in

• getting to the airport
  • security time at station vs security time at airport
  • luggage costs
  • getting from the airport

Train will be faster and cheaper as it's downtown to downtown

As for 'expensive', you realize that you're talking 600+km ? (that's 400 miles for non metric system people). How much does a flight or the train cost from Boston to Philadelphia, I'll guess a heck of a lot more.

I am comparing the cost to trains in the rest of Europe, Italy in particular are much cheaper. No way am I comparing to the US :rolleyes:. Also the price for flights is $50 not euros, it is about 35€, when I looked at the train it was over $130. I can go from London to Paris for half the cost of Barcelona to Madrid. Your points are valid as to time but I don't think the train is any faster.

when I looked at the train it was over $130.

It depends on when you book it, and when you travel. When I went, it was about $75........and I saved the costs and time of traveling to and from the airport at each end. That alone was worth a lot to me. (Comparing it to the rest of Europe (or to the US) doesn't make a difference, since you're not in the rest of Europe or the US.)

Can you please let me know what time you leave the ship and how do you get to the train station? Was the line for taxi long? Did you make reservation for taxi or you just wait in line? We are doing the 8.25 am from Barcelona-Madrid like you on May 23.

Hi. We just got back from Madrid. The train was great. I don't know when you dock but I assume it will be 6:00 or 7:00 am. There were lots of taxis waiting. It would take about 20-30 minutes to the train station depending on traffic. If you can handle your own luggage you could do expedited disembarcation to get off the ship first. They allowed people to board the train 20 minutes before departure. There are luggage racks at both ends of the cars. Everything was well signed.

See you soon

Mae

How many people were in your group? We've checked and haven't found any AVE train tickets that cheap, yet. We'll continue looking.:)

Sorry for the tardy reply -- have not been checking Tripadvisor.

We were a group of 3

When are you traveling?

Archived