Madrid to Barcelona Train

We are planning to take the train from Madrid to Barcelona before our cruise. Is it necessary to purchase our train tickets in advance, or can we get them at the station? From the Renfe web site, it does not appear to be a significant savings by booking ahead.

We are planning to take the train from Madrid to Barcelona before our cruise. Is it necessary to purchase our train tickets in advance, or can we get them at the station? From the Renfe web site, it does not appear to be a significant savings by booking ahead.

That's a personal choice. I would purchase them ahead on the Renfe website to guarantee that you are on the train you want to be on.

We've traveled this route twice - Madrid to Barcelona and Barcelona to Madrid. Both times the train seemed close to capacity.

It's a fun ride, with great scenery along the way as you reach speeds of 300kph.

Dont search by schedule, but go into the TICKETS portion of the website (starting at 60 days out). The discounts are significant (60%)

RENFE will only show the cheaper tickets searching by schedule on the Spanish language version, so if you want cheap tickets, stay in spanish, or search in the ';buy tickets' sections here https://venta.renfe.com/vol/index.do

The regular tourist class tickets are 117 Euro, but there are discount tickets for as low at 47 E. Also, note the pop up calendars start on MONDAY not SUNDAY, so you need to pay attention to what day you're buying for.

All that being said, it's the ONLY way to go. Fast, inexpensive, quiet and comfortable.

I was looking this over for friends on our RC but being this is our first trip, in the future would have to gain more knowledge of which stations I would need to get on & off at before I could do the train but I would love to try it.

Depending on which train, the one we're on had two stops

dep: Madrid Atocha

arr: Barcelona Sants

2h38m

I highly recommend the train. MUCH MUCH nicer than flying. In 'tourista' (cheapest class) the legroom was comparible to business class on an airplane.

You need to get to Atocha Station in Madrid and then from Sants station in; even traveling by taxi, cheaper than in/out to the airports.

I truly appreciate all the great advice. I managed to find the cheaper rates and complete the forms, but I was blocked from completing my purchase as I received a statement that my credit card was not authenticated. My credit card company has no record of being contacted. I am not giving up on the train, but I may have to either 1. Try the more expensive English version of RENFE or 2. Take my chances and wait until I get to Madrid. Maybe the Concierge at my hotel can help!

I truly appreciate all the great advice. I managed to find the cheaper rates and complete the forms, but I was blocked from completing my purchase as I received a statement that my credit card was not authenticated. My credit card company has no record of being contacted. I am not giving up on the train, but I may have to either 1. Try the more expensive English version of RENFE or 2. Take my chances and wait until I get to Madrid. Maybe the Concierge at my hotel can help!

Try it in the morning. I had the same problem and the next morning it worked fine.

I was checking out this thread while trying to navigate the RENFE site to buy our tickets from Barcelona to Madrid. After numerous frustrating attempts, and calls to my VISA credit card company, I was finally successful using my credit union Visa Debit card. And for some reason the Preferente tickets were less expensive than the Turista ones! We're really looking forward to the trip. :)

Since we have never been to Europe, when I looked it over I had no idea what to look for so thought, if we were to do this in the future, will contact friends or hopefully be with a couple knowledgeable of traveling around and using the trains, but I would love to do it. We will already be in Barcelona, flying from the states, but some of our Roll call are going in early and traveling around.

We did this last May. Neither one of us speak Spanish but we were able to get around and found public transportation so easy to use. Even was able to somehow book two trips on Renfe. Felt like I had won the lottery after several failed attempts. WE rode the train from Barcleona to MAdrid and the again from Madrid to Toledo. Love riding the train. While in Barcelona be sure to visit the open air market off of Las Ramble. Also be aware of your surroundings and how you carry you things(pick pockets). Watch how the natives carry their purses and stuff. Follow their lead. We didn't have any trouble but some people who didn't pay attention to their surrounds found themselves having their pocket picked. Pick pocket are not who you would think often times young girls and well dresses(in business suits)men. But don't let this frighten you Spain is an absolutely wonderful country with many great things to see and do.

We took the AVE train from Barcelona to Madrid in August after our cruise. It was great -- fast and quiet. They even showed a movie and handed out complimentary ear phones. We booked 62 days out and only paid 45 Euros each.

Before you book check the Tripadvisor Madrid website regarding using US credit cards on the Renfe website.

Enjoy.

• 5 months later...
I was checking out this thread while trying to navigate the RENFE site to buy our tickets from Barcelona to Madrid. After numerous frustrating attempts, and calls to my VISA credit card company, I was finally successful using my credit union Visa Debit card. And for some reason the Preferente tickets were less expensive than the Turista ones! We're really looking forward to the trip. :)

We are having the same problem getting a train from Barcelona to Madrid (Roundtrip). We can't navigate the Renfe Train site! Help! Bill

We are having the same problem getting a train from Barcelona to Madrid (Roundtrip). We can't navigate the Renfe Train site! Help! Bill

We booked tickets just recently without any problem. Do by all means read the Trip Adviser Tutorial on what to do. Just Google Trip adviser Buying train tickets to Madrid. Read it carefully as it is very long. There are little bits of information that get it done. For instance, on the long distance, high speed trains you are asked to select that you want to choose your seats, but if you try to select that option on the short distance trains it will say no availability and your booking stalls. You don't select that option on short runs. The booking goes through and you are assigned seats. I made this mistake. I had booked a long distance trip first and assumed since the same options appeared when I was doing a short trip it would be the same. I went back to the Trip Adviser site and the information was there all along.

It's the little things that get you. I notified both my credit card holders that I would be attempting to purchase train tickets from a Spanish web-site and asked them not to block the purchase. Also if you are using Visa do the Secured by Visa thing. Mastercard has one as well. I don't remember the name. I think it is Secure Mastercard. You have to go slow and not move forward on the web-site until you are sure things are going right. There doesn't seem to be much leeway for correction.

Hope it works for you . I am not very computer literate and I got it done.

Oh the other thing, be sure to take into consideration the time differences from where you are, to Spain. They apparently don't access their computers overnight from 23:00 to 7:00 their time. When I did my tickets, (we are on the west coast of Canada) after adjusting for time, I did it at 22:30 on a Saturday evening in order to access their site at 7:30 Sunday morning.

It sounds complicated but it is worth while if you can get discounted web-tickets, which can be 40,50, even 60% less than the full price.

Just persevere.

See you soon

Mae

We took the AVE train from Barcelona to Madrid in August after our cruise. It was great -- fast and quiet. They even showed a movie and handed out complimentary ear phones. We booked 62 days out and only paid 45 Euros each.

Before you book check the Tripadvisor Madrid website regarding using US credit cards on the Renfe website.

Enjoy.

How many people were in your group? We've checked and haven't found any AVE train tickets that cheap, yet. We'll continue looking.:)

How many people were in your group? We've checked and haven't found any AVE train tickets that cheap, yet. We'll continue looking.:)

When we booked on Feb 18, 2012 for travel on April 20,2012 just inside the 62 day time frame, discounted tickets ranged from 41,50 Euro to full price 117 Euro. This is one way Barcelona to Madrid. The price was determined by the time selected. The cheapest fares were early and late. We opted for 55,50 Euro at 8:25 a.m. All the other fares up to noon were much higher. 12:00 noon was 89 Euro. Every day seems to be different. We are traveling on a Friday. When I was playing around with their web-site, I found that on weekdays other than Friday, there were some cheap fares around 10:00-11:00 am. We are a group of four but just got ordinary tickets as there was no special for the group tickets that day.

It is quite an adventure ordering tickets but we had no difficulty.

See you soon

Mae

When we booked on Feb 18, 2012 for travel on April 20,2012 just inside the 62 day time frame, discounted tickets ranged from 41,50 Euro to full price 117 Euro. This is one way Barcelona to Madrid. The price was determined by the time selected. The cheapest fares were early and late. We opted for 55,50 Euro at 8:25 a.m. All the other fares up to noon were much higher. 12:00 noon was 89 Euro. Every day seems to be different. We are traveling on a Friday. When I was playing around with their web-site, I found that on weekdays other than Friday, there were some cheap fares around 10:00-11:00 am. We are a group of four but just got ordinary tickets as there was no special for the group tickets that day.

It is quite an adventure ordering tickets but we had no difficulty.

See you soon

Mae

Thanks, we need the ticket for May 8 .....so I think we should be able to book it on March 6 or 7.:)

Thanks, we need the ticket for May 8 .....so I think we should be able to book it on March 6 or 7.:)

One thing I forgot to mention. If you don't see a fare you like the day they become available sometimes if you hold of a few days the rates change. You could lose out if trying to book a on a holiday or during the peak of tourist season. The price of our tickets went up 14 Euro two days after we booked. I looked at the Renfe site today and a lot of the fares had changed some up, some down. Ours was at 69 Euro we paid 55,50. You said you would be traveling on May 8. You could look at May 1, just one week early to see what kinds of fares are available at different times. It will give you some idea.

See you soon

Mae

One thing I forgot to mention. If you don't see a fare you like the day they become available sometimes if you hold of a few days the rates change. You could lose out if trying to book a on a holiday or during the peak of tourist season. The price of our tickets went up 14 Euro two days after we booked. I looked at the Renfe site today and a lot of the fares had changed some up, some down. Ours was at 69 Euro we paid 55,50. You said you would be traveling on May 8. You could look at May 1, just one week early to see what kinds of fares are available at different times. It will give you some idea.

See you soon

Mae

Better to choose a day other than May 1st as that is a holiday here in Spain

Better to choose a day other than May 1st as that is a holiday here in Spain

Of course it is Labour Day. I forgot that. I actually took my own advice and looked at fares on May 1. There were some good ones. There seems to be no way to predict.

See you soon

Mae

I just purchase my tickets today. it is about 72 days before my depature date but I decide to check it out and I see it available, so I decide to book it.

A lot of frustration, I call the Capital One and let them know before I make a purchase but the transaction did not go through. I try again and again while Captital One customer service was on the phone with me try to make sure that the transaction go through. But it did not happen. So, I change to Citi card. I call before make a transaction and with Citi card the transaction went through in one try.

My advice is if your card did not go through please try another card.

• 1 month later...

I have to echo what others have said. The AVE is the way to go. It is fast, comfortable, and inexpensive.

Advance tickets can be had at great discounts, but it sometimes appears to have no logic to it. Some trains have no seats available, some have plenty of seats available, and on some, the preferente seats are less than the turista seats. Go figure. Buy direct from the RENFE site for the best deals. However, getting the credit card through can be a frustrating experience. Keep trying, or call your card company.

Archived