price drop

lacey jane

i booked a cruise in march for 8th october and today when i checked the same cruise it is £800 cheaper, yes that is £800, surley this cant be right

The Oct. 8th cruise out of Venice has had a huge price drop. Several of us have done upgrades. Check with your travel agent.

i booked a cruise in march for 8th october and today when i checked the same cruise it is £800 cheaper, yes that is £800, surley this cant be right

Yes, it is right. We are booked on 17th Sep, and exactly a week ago I noticed a drop of £85 each. Called RCI and received £170 back to my credit card. On tuesday a further £50 drop, same process and £100 refunded. If you booked with a TA you will need to ask them to make the call, but be warned they may initially refuse. They cannot refuse, so insist and insist again until they do it. It is the original booking "agent" alone who has to call RCI (i.e. self or TA) and they will not talk to any other party.

As a fellow Scot, I want you to get that cash back!;) Any other advice needed please come back.

I am still watching the price, and hope for a further reduction before we sail.

Yes, it is right. We are booked on 17th Sep, and exactly a week ago I noticed a drop of £85 each. Called RCI and received £170 back to my credit card. On tuesday a further £50 drop, same process and £100 refunded. If you booked with a TA you will need to ask them to make the call, but be warned they may initially refuse. They cannot refuse, so insist and insist again until they do it. It is the original booking "agent" alone who has to call RCI (i.e. self or TA) and they will not talk to any other party.

As a fellow Scot, I want you to get that cash back!;) Any other advice needed please come back.

I am still watching the price, and hope for a further reduction before we sail.

if it was a couple of hundred ok but 800, im absolutly raging lol

You are going to pursue it....right? What grade of cabin is it?

Sorry, just read the earlier post. Do not accept OBC, they can refund the cash! Enjoy your GS, we are steerage i.e. inside guarantee, but allocated a promenade view!

great news, TRAVEL AGENT phoned and i am getting a refund of £775, and she also said to phone if there is anymore price drops,,whoopiii

Great result...."high fives" all round....well done, and keep checking!

The Oct. 8th cruise out of Venice has had a huge price drop. Several of us have done upgrades. Check with your travel agent.

I was not lucky enough to get an upgrade. I called my agent today and was told that's for the new reservation only. When I told her some people on the CC board got upgraded, she said she can't do anything. So, in this case, what should I do?

Sorry, just read the earlier post. Do not accept OBC, they can refund the cash! Enjoy your GS, we are steerage i.e. inside guarantee, but allocated a promenade view!

I have a question for you, If the price of your Cabin went up 800 Would you volenteer to pay more? Dont think its the cruiselines duty to compensate you, and if you did you are lucky. When you bought the product originally you entered an agreement, you both agreed on a aprice and were satisfied. If I ran my business like that I would be out of business. Not being mean but thats my opinion

I have a question for you, If the price of your Cabin went up 800 Would you volenteer to pay more? Dont think its the cruiselines duty to compensate you, and if you did you are lucky. When you bought the product originally you entered an agreement, you both agreed on a aprice and were satisfied. If I ran my business like that I would be out of business. Not being mean but thats my opinion

well it is obviously the cruise lines policy to refund or they wouldnt have refunded me

So why is there such a difference in different TA with the same cruise, is the TA that is not giving back the refund getting it for themselves ? This does not seem to be very good when the cruise lines are giving back these refunds, think they who do not give refund back should be named and shamed, regardless of the there contracts, whats going on here ??

I was not lucky enough to get an upgrade. I called my agent today and was told that's for the new reservation only. When I told her some people on the CC board got upgraded, she said she can't do anything. So, in this case, what should I do?

GET A NEW TRAVEL AGENT, tell her to get you the price drop or cancel and rebook somewhere else, I assume you are not in penalty?

Do price drops usually appear after the balance due date, or are they at anytime? We are booked on a cruise on Splendour from Santos in January, and I would dearly love a balcony cabin, but the prices are still rising.

Do you think after the refit, with more balcony cabins becoming available, I might be in with a chance?

Not always as simple as it would seem.

No problems in passing on a price drop HOWEVER.........................

If you imagine a cruise that takes maybe £50 sterling a head profit, if there is a £800 price drop per passenger, what happens is that most TAs will be on 15% commission, so effectively the TA will be clawed back £120 sterling commission, so, in order to pass on the full price drop means the TA will actually lose £70 per person on the booking.

Does that make sense?

No need to be mean! The clear policy in the UK is that price drops will be honoured right up to day prior to sailing, provided you call and request it. No luck here, simply a difference in policy between UK and USA and, I believe, just about every other country!:D:D:D

In the USA cruises can be cancelled without penalty, with deposit refunded, right up to final payment date. Here in the UK we lose the deposit in such situation.:(

Still watching price drop, and hoping for further refunds to credit card.;)

Does the TA have to honour the price drop? I've noticed a considerable price difference. I've used a canadian TA for my booking on the 08/10/11 out of Venice

It is RCI who honour the price drop, the TA has to do it for you via RCI unless self booked. That said, my understanding is that only in the UK are price drops honoured (by refund) after final payment.

It is RCI who honour the price drop, the TA has to do it for you via RCI unless self booked. That said, my understanding is that only in the UK are price drops honoured (by refund) after final payment.

Thanks for that.

I've since read on the RCCL website that price drops are not honoured. Understood, but very very disappointing. I paid the same amount for a JS, that would now get me an OS. Oh well. Perhaps my TA can get me a nice upgrade.... or not!

Does the TA have to honour the price drop? I've noticed a considerable price difference. I've used a canadian TA for my booking on the 08/10/11 out of Venice

No the TA does not have to honor the price drop, even if Royal will allow it.....but most will because they know they will never get any business from you again.

No the TA does not have to honor the price drop, even if Royal will allow it.....but most will because they know they will never get any business from you again.

I used a virtuoso TA for this, he's had some fairly juicy hotel bookings out of me, and i've helped him in other ways.

I'm hoping he is of the same point of view as you, as that is definately what will happen!

I used a virtuoso TA for this, he's had some fairly juicy hotel bookings out of me, and i've helped him in other ways.

I'm hoping he is of the same point of view as you, as that is definately what will happen!

Canadian and U.S. bookings - RCL will not honour price drops after final payment. It has nothing to do with your TA, it's RCL's policy. This thread was started by a Brit and they are entitled to the price drops. The trade off-they cannot cancel once they have deposited without losing their deposit.

RCL does say they will do an upgrade all things being equal with a price drop after final. They just have a lot of excuses for not giving it.

Archived