Oktoberfest BEER!!

VaCaps

As any true beer drinker knows, seasonal Oktoberfest beers have hit the shelf! Being many beer drinkers favorite time of the year I was curious if Carnival offered any of these beers on the ship? Jumping on the Victory in two weeks and was thinking it would be nice to have some. If not oh well just will stick with the old standby's.

Figured as much. Maybe I will take the "risk" and try and sneak some on. Maybe some Sierra Nevada to match the climate.

I really don't get why their beer selection sucks so bad. What I wouldn't give for some Sierra Nevada on board. I guess they stick with beers that can come in aluminium/plastic bottles. Oh well, I'll stick to gin and tonics.:)

I really don't get why their beer selection sucks so bad. What I wouldn't give for some Sierra Nevada on board. I guess they stick with beers that can come in aluminium/plastic bottles. Oh well, I'll stick to gin and tonics.:)

The only time I drink beer on a cruise is when I'm in port, I just can't justify spending so much money on beer I don't like. At least they have a decent liquor selection.

The only time I drink beer on a cruise is when I'm in port, I just can't justify spending so much money on beer I don't like. At least they have a decent liquor selection.

I think they have Boddingtons, which I hate out of the can(as compared to that creamy draft) but I can manage. But I'm with Elcuchio and will probably drink alot of gin and tonics. At least can get a decent bottle of Gin from BV.

Figured as much. Maybe I will take the "risk" and try and sneak some on. Maybe some Sierra Nevada to match the climate.

S.Nev would be great! I don't think they produce anything at the brewery though that comes in aluminum or plastic. Blue Moon and Rolling Rock now package product in cans. I believe Blue Moon is on Carnival ships. It is a decent beer. Better on tap, but miles ahead of coors light or bud lite.

I read somewhere on here that their limited beer selection was due to storage space. Sucks for us beer lovers.

Yeah the masses like basic bud and coors and products. Not enough of a market to store the micros. But if they could have a few lounges, like the sports bar, have some nicer beers on tap that would be great. Shouldn't take up too much space, and they would have a higher gross margin on the beer out of the tap. Kegs are cheaper wholesale than cans or bottles, per ounce.

Microbrews are all very regional. Probably my all time favorite beer is Rahr's Whisky warmer and unless you are from DFW or Austin you've probably never even heard of Rahr. It's not possible to offer something that'd make everyone happy and not fill the shelves up with things they can't sell otherwise.

What I really don't get is why they don't offer any kind of a porter or an IPA. You are on a ship afterall and these two styles of beers were created by and for the shipping industry. IPAs are the most popular style of beer in the craft brew community now. I guess until Budweiser or Coors start mass marketing one though the cruise lines won't catch on.

Personally if Carnival wanted to make me happy though they'd stock up on Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. It's readily available all over the country in decent bars/pubs. It is my regular go to beer.

Microbrews are all very regional. Probably my all time favorite beer is Rahr's Whisky warmer and unless you are from DFW or Austin you've probably never even heard of Rahr. It's not possible to offer something that'd make everyone happy and not fill the shelves up with things they can't sell otherwise.

What I really don't get is why they don't offer any kind of a porter or an IPA. You are on a ship afterall and these two styles of beers were created by and for the shipping industry. IPAs are the most popular style of beer in the craft brew community now. I guess until Budweiser or Coors start mass marketing one though the cruise lines won't catch on.

Personally if Carnival wanted to make me happy though they'd stock up on Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. It's readily available all over the country in decent bars/pubs. It is my regular go to beer.

Rahr Ugly Pug!!!!!!

I don't know the beer, but I love the pug on it's packaging!!!

Rahr Ugly Pug!!!!!!

I don't know the beer, but I love the pug on it's packaging!!!

It's a black lager and thanks to the Wall Street Journal it's very popular now. If they wanted to mass market one beer and make a ton of money it'd be the one. If you normally drink Budweiser or Coors it's a great one to try if you are feeling adventurous.

Rogue's beers here are $10.50-$12.00 for a 6 pack so almost double the price of Budweiser but right in line with Guinness. I couldn't see them charging much more for it than the imported premium beers.

It's a black lager and thanks to the Wall Street Journal it's very popular now. If they wanted to mass market one beer and make a ton of money it'd be the one. If you normally drink Budweiser or Coors it's a great one to try if you are feeling adventurous.

Rogue's beers here are $10.50-$12.00 for a 6 pack so almost double the price of Budweiser but right in line with Guinness. I couldn't see them charging much more for it than the imported premium beers.

You're paying 10.50-12.00 for a sixer of guinness??

Funny you mention it, I just polished off a cold six of Sam Adams Octoberfest tonight! Far and away my favorite of their seasonal brews. I'd love for the cruise lines to start carrying some better beers, but it wouldn't make them enough money since the cretins wouldn't buy (or even recognize) good beer.

I'd really like to see them start stocking some decent hefeweizens too. I wouldn't mind spending 8 bucks if it was for a Weihenstephaner. But that's even less likely. :(

As any true beer drinker knows, seasonal Oktoberfest beers have hit the shelf! Being many beer drinkers favorite time of the year I was curious if Carnival offered any of these beers on the ship? Jumping on the Victory in two weeks and was thinking it would be nice to have some. If not oh well just will stick with the old standby's.

Nope. Not gonna happen. But the Victory might be carrying Thirsty Red Frog Ale on tap at one of the bars. Since you're leaving from San Juan, swing over to the Old Harbor Brewery and try some of their micros before sailing.

Archived