Tendering in Sorrento

Suncitygaltx

We were supposed to tender in Amalfi or Sorrento and the day before we were told they had news of possible problems, so they were docking in Naples. We contacted our private driver and he met us in Naples.

We did not prepay for our tour. I had tours in a few towns and did not prepay for any of them.

Whether you pass or dock in Naples is up to the ship's captain. He had to make the decision the day before so that he could get a docking space.

No problem tendering in Sorrento. However, make sure you leave plenty of time to get back to the port. It gets very crowded the closer to departure time and we encountered a traffic jam. Finally had to get out of the van and hike down a steep hill to the tender pier. I hate cutting it close and the line was not moving at all.

We also did not have to pay in advance for our tour. Be leery of that requirement, for sure!

I have visited Sorrento several times--never a problem in docking. I have had a problem with Amalfi and actually reverted to Sorrento instead.

Do not pre-pay for your tour. Most of the tour drivers want cash at the end of the tour. Italians are trying to "hide cash" from their reported income and sometimes insist on cash payment for many services.

If you need a good driver I can recommend Roberto DiPalma who has been our wonderful tour guide on several occasions and many of my friends have also used him and been pleased with the service. He can take up to four people in his lovely town car.

His website is http://www.amalficoastdestination.com or you can email him at info@amalficoastdestination.com. His telephone is +39 338.94-88-130 or +39 348.37-17-220. For a full 9-hour day (he will shorten the tour to suit) his cost at the moment is 380 euro and includes the entire Amalfi drive with stops in Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, a stop for lunch etc.

Have a great trip!

Lulusplurge

Archived