How long is the drive from LAX to Long Beach?

This about thirty miles or so. Burt this is SoCal miles so depending on the day of the week and time of day, 45 minutes to a few hours. I was a professional driver for many years and have driven that route many times so all i can say really it just depends

I'm guessing you are going on a Carnival cruise. I will get in at least a day ahead and stay in Long Beach (see Bruin Steve's hotel posts about Long Beach to get recs for decent hotels in the decent areas). If you want to do any sightseeing, let us know what you're interested in seeing.

As for times, it really does depend on day of the week and time you're getting in. But as long as you're not trying to fly in the day of the cruise, I wouldn't worry about times. As for your return flight, if you want to fly out that day, I would definitely would avoid any flights before noon just in case you get stuck in traffic from the port going north. Another factor is that February and March are during winter, when most of our rainfall falls. So if we're having a rainier season, that could be a factor too.

Patty, allow 45 minutes to one hour. Might be quicker but that is what I would plan for.

If you are flying back the day you disembark give yourself a lot of time. I would not book a flight prior to Noon and ideally one around 1:00 PM. Plan to arrive to LAX two hours before your flight as it is one of the busier airports and sometimes there are delays with a ship arriving and getting it cleared thus it's a good idea to plan for an afternoon flight.

Since you mentioned a hotel sounds like you plan to arrive a day or more before your cruise which I would have also recommended.

Keith

We'll be arriving at LAX for our cruise 2/26 - 3-4/11. Need to know how long it takes to get from LAX to Long Beach and back again so I can book flights, hotel and shuttle. Anyone know?

Thanks,

Patty

Just to keep it completely accurate, it is 22.4 miles:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

If you are most concerned with flying home immediately following the cruise, then the biggest concern is generally NOT the drive to LAX...on a weekend morning, it should not take more than about 30-40 minutes...Of course, you can NEVER judge traffic, accidents, road construction or other factors, wherever you are, so you ALWAYS build some cushion into that--say, call it an hour to be safe...

But, the bigger concern and the larger variables are the logistics:

The ship clearing customs, lines getting off the ship, collecting your luggage, finding your ride (and, if it's a shuttle, all of the delays that come with that), etc...

And LAX recommends you arrive two hours before your flight...

Of course, that estimate is OVERKILL...When we flew to London last month, we were through check-in and security--from the curb to the gate--in under 15 minutes...But, again, you never know...

So, you build a bit of cushion into it--better to wait some extra time at LAX than to be rushed and stressed and maybe miss your flight...

So, figuring you SHOULD be able to get off the ship and to the curb by 9:00 am, NOON would be the earliest you should book a flight--an hour to get to LAX and two hours to make it through the airport...

As far as the trip TO LA is concerned, I would recommend, at a minimum, you fly in the day before and book a hotel in Long Beach for the night before...This is the most stress-free way to do it...

Stay at one of these hotels: Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance, Avia, Hilton, Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown, Courtyard Downtown...

All are close to the pier with lots of restaurants, shops and attractions nearby...

Good luck...

Wow, thanks everyone! Yes, we are coming in the day before the cruise starts so I'm looking for a hotel too. I 've had too many close calls with flights out of Alaska, what with volcanos erupting, etc. So I will book our flight out of California :( for 2 or 3 pm the day the we come back.

I love Southern California, you people are so helpful and friendly (in person too)!

I saw online where they have a "blue" shuttle and a "red" shuttle that you can book ahead of time for like $30 per person. I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not. How else can we get to and from Long Beach? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Patty

Archived