Are all the computers the same?

Tanless

The internet cafe is set up with a different -type- of machine than the hp laptop I've seen in the YouTube videos. However, I wouldn't personally use any communal machine due to viruses and ID theft issues. With the Android tablets and netbooks running about $300 or less, consider about springing for one of those. Even an iPhone with a data plan (carefully managed) would be a better option than entering a password on the wrong machine.

My $.02... and yes, I do IT for a living, so I'm paid to be this paranoid! *laughing*

The internet cafe is set up with a different -type- of machine than the hp laptop I've seen in the YouTube videos. However, I wouldn't personally use any communal machine due to viruses and ID theft issues. With the Android tablets and netbooks running about $300 or less, consider about springing for one of those. Even an iPhone with a data plan (carefully managed) would be a better option than entering a password on the wrong machine.

My $.02... and yes, I do IT for a living, so I'm paid to be this paranoid! *laughing*

"ET" expert(education technology DP.s) in total agreement with You Lady Shiva!

I will go one step further. I have not used a "PC" and by that I mean Windows or DOS based computer since 1985, so that marks 26 Years on the Apple/Macintosh Platform (I have also used Sun UNix, Commodore Amiga, and Apple & Commodore 8 bit machines back in the day). I will be cruising with my brand new Mac Book Pro, MY 2007 Black Mac Book(with SSD drive replacing the optical drive!), and MY Wife's IPad 2 & my iPod touch 2Gen with Sprint ZTE Peel 3G hotspot. Even when I ran my H.S.'s computer repair classes and was co-admin of our school network, I never used a shared machine in my life:cool:

(ahh the return of the random quote generator!)

Bill(DrFootball)

"You WANT the TRUTH? YOU can't HANDLE the TRUTH"

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

"ET" expert(education technology DP.s) in total agreement with You Lady Shiva!

I will go one step further. I have not used a "PC" and by that I mean Windows or DOS based computer since 1985, so that marks 26 Years on the Apple/Macintosh Platform (I have also used Sun UNix, Commodore Amiga, and Apple & Commodore 8 bit machines back in the day). I will be cruising with my brand new Mac Book Pro, MY 2007 Black Mac Book(with SSD drive replacing the optical drive!), and MY Wife's IPad 2 & my iPod touch 2Gen with Sprint ZTE Peel 3G hotspot. Even when I ran my H.S.'s computer repair classes and was co-admin of our school network, I never used a shared machine in my life:cool:

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Macs break noisily BEFORE they get into real trouble (which means MORE often)... Talk to me once you've got your VAX running.

*grin* *ducking thrown objects from DrFootball*

I'm just envious because my 6 year old's Mac mini's Parental Controls annoy the heck out of me when I need to patch it every other week (citation: Adobe and Firefox). I don't understand why I need to enter credentials so often! I -logged in- to the darn thing 2 seconds ago; why do you need to verify my identity AGAIN??? It's BSD Unix, so it should ACT like it!

\proud Android, RHEL, Solaris, OS\400, Windows XP owner

\embarrassed OS X, Windows Vista, Windows 7 owner :p

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Macs break noisily BEFORE they get into real trouble (which means MORE often)... Talk to me once you've got your VAX running.

*grin* *ducking thrown objects from DrFootball*

I'm just envious because my 6 year old's Mac mini's Parental Controls annoy the heck out of me when I need to patch it every other week (citation: Adobe and Firefox). I don't understand why I need to enter credentials so often! I -logged in- to the darn thing 2 seconds ago; why do you need to verify my identity AGAIN??? It's BSD Unix, so it should ACT like it!

\proud Android, RHEL, Solaris, OS\400, Windows XP owner

\embarrassed OS X, Windows Vista, Windows 7 owner :p

Fair enough: never said I don't have issues with certain things: I hate the new mail app(in X 10.7-Lion), I want my scroll arrows back, not that slider bar that skips around like a junkie needing a fix. My black mac book has a cracked case, which Apple would replace if I had left it "stock" but since I did mods to it myself( SSD drive in place of dead optical that my friend(the prior owner)'s mom spilled OJ in) and a Battery that I have to replace after only 4 years of moderate use...Plus my 2008 iMac(this machine i'm typing on now) has been back to apple 3 times in 6 months after 2.5 years of "perfect",...(new HD, More ram, and now most recently a Power supply replacement) But Hey,...I got the most out of my apple care!!!

My DW has been working on Windows Boxes for 12 years at her day jb in Marketing, but she does her Digital Photography for our side business on our MACS...(Sports Media)...Diff strokes...:)

Bill(Dr Football-Yes I'm a real Doctor of Education, that is why your son got a 47 in English class!)

"Air Assault! The Ride of your LIFE, First In-LAST OUT!"

It is safer to use your own laptop/netbook/tablet. Besides the reason stated above, a little thing you might have worry about is connectivity. Those machines may only a slow usb port (think usb 1.1) or a standard card reader that does not read the newer memory cards (sdhc cards wont work in a sd card reader)

DrFootball: Good talking/playing with you! I'm smiling from reading your reply. As I tell my husband, there's multiple tools in the toolbox; not everything needs a hammer to be fixed! ;) There are certain programs that are best run on a Mac (Quark Xpress), just like there are transactions best processed on a z/Linux mainframe IFL. Use the right tool!

OP: Test out what you care to type on and how much weight you care to carry. You might find your phone with a data plan to be sufficient; you might care watch a movie on your 17" laptop instead. Different tools for different usages, chosen personally by you. All of them have plugs to charge if you bring a power squid.

Can't comment on the ones in the internet cafe but the one in our room a couple weeks ago was a fairly good size (16 or 17") Lenovo. I know the models for business more, but it looked to be a fairly new model designed for home use.

I never opened it up or turned it on though.

DrFootball: Good talking/playing with you! I'm smiling from reading your reply. As I tell my husband, there's multiple tools in the toolbox; not everything needs a hammer to be fixed! ;) There are certain programs that are best run on a Mac (Quark Xpress), just like there are transactions best processed on a z/Linux mainframe IFL. Use the right tool!

OP: Test out what you care to type on and how much weight you care to carry. You might find your phone with a data plan to be sufficient; you might care watch a movie on your 17" laptop instead. Different tools for different usages, chosen personally by you. All of them have plugs to charge if you bring a power squid.

Wow! QUArk.. I have not used that since v3.32( on my Power Mac 8600 tower)!! Most folks are using "Adobe Indesign" now but I don't do production publishing,..only web & PDF stuff, so i'm Using Apple "pages" and PageStream for Mac(which I used many Yrs. ago on My Commodore Amiga 1200!) + Adobe Acrobat Professional:)

As for "power"(sore subject here since we were without for 5+ days thx to "Irene") I use the Belkin Super surge(insured for 5K worth of damage) and Bed bath & Beyond's "power Guy" for a total of 10 power outlets.

we have 4 cameras, 2 laptops and 2 iOs devices to keep powered.....:D

Bill(DrFootball)

I don't subscribe to coincidence Corporal. I believe that no matter how random things may appear, there is still a plan. Here in the middle of the Mexican Desert, when I needed him the most, I find a fellow Ranger. Now I need your help to save another." Col. John "Hannibal" Smith to Corporal Bosco (B.A.) Baracus…..

Lady S and Dr. F have really whipped out their respective geeks and have been shamelessly showing them off to all of us!

I always tell my Ubergeek DH that he just waits for an opportunity to whip out is geek and hit people in the head with it. I could not resist it here. :D

Lady S and Dr. F have really whipped out their respective geeks and have been shamelessly showing them off to all of us!

I always tell my Ubergeek DH that he just waits for an opportunity to whip out is geek and hit people in the head with it. I could not resist it here. :D

*laughing*

I think I'll just keep my geek in the ol' pocket protector.

Thanks for all the responses.

to "Beat" disbelievers into submission "you have entered the reality distortion field of Steve Jobs-You will be mailmerged-We are MACINTOSH-You will be mailmerged....":D

Bill(DrFootball)

(Energetically will I meet the Enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might.")

Line 5 of the U.S. Army Ranger Creed....

to "Beat" disbelievers into submission "you have entered the reality distortion field of Steve Jobs-You will be mailmerged-We are MACINTOSH-You will be mailmerged....":D

VideoTech runs from all reality distortion fields...Jobs AND Gates. Nothing but good old free linux for me, currently in the Ubuntu flavor. Haven't paid a nickel to Redmond in years and years, and would never pay a nickel to Cupertino either. :cool:

WOW VT: having spent almost 2 yrs stationed at FT. Hood, I though most ppl. in TX had a sense of humor..I was joking...

BTW,..I run a version of Red Hat on a partition on my PowerMac G5 Tower in my music studio(when i'm not running "Amature Tools" or "Closet Band" or "Guitar Player in a Box"....

Bill(DrFootball)

"A Ranger Platoon is Like a BLOWTORCH, it's cuts through anything in front of it, anything standing it it's way" Gen. Carl Steiner: U.S. Army Special Operations Command-From the Tom Clancy Book "The Shadow Warriors"

OMG, I thought I was a MacGeek, but I have NO idea what you all are talking about! I guess I'm just an entry-level MacGeek. I'm on my second Mac (had to move up to one with an Intel chip) and I've never had any problems with either one of them.

You're lucky, then.

:-) Just kidding!!!!

VideoTech, you're just envious of Dr.Football's quote generator. Admit it, the man has QOTD skillz! ;)

Archived