kids tv shows in cabins

gizmo13

can someone let me know what there is on the tvs in the way of shows for kids? i have never sailed before with my kids until now and want to know what kind of shows they have for kids on board? is there tv shows or all movies still? havent been on a cruise in 4 years

can someone let me know what there is on the tvs in the way of shows for kids? i have never sailed before with my kids until now and want to know what kind of shows they have for kids on board? is there tv shows or all movies still? havent been on a cruise in 4 years

What ship are you on and when are you going? As far as a couple of weeks ago on the Star, I'd basically answer - none. The channels were (I had posted on another thread so I'm working from memory) were MSNBC, CNBC, ESPN, E, the ships channels, BBC, and three movie/special channels.

The first two movie channels played pretty current movies and the third channel played sitcoms the majority of the day but they did have a few kids shows in the morning. One of the kids shows was something for very little kids and the other was something like ICarly. I don't know what channel it was actually carrying though.

My 10 year old will watch just about any kids network and she found almost nothing. Fortunately I had downloaded a couple of movies on my laptop before leaving and had brought some DVD's Off the ship, we were at a hotel with wifi and we used it to download a couple of more. We tried renting a couple of family movies from the choices offered on the GEM "on demand" system and I can honestly say they were two of the worst movies I've seen in years.

I agree, the TV options are incredibly limited and there is absolutely nothing for children. The best option would be to either get an IPAD II and download lots of children's programming to it or if you have a suite with a DVD player or a laptop or portable DVD player, bring a lot of kid's DVD's from home. Otherwise, there is little for adults to watch on TV and not really much of anything for kids at all. Or you could just do a TV free vacation and your kids could do stuff like go to the pool, go to the kids club and enjoy life at sea. It may feel weird to them at first, but I think that they will adapt pretty quickly and soon won't even care about having TV shows to watch.

We just got back today from the Sky, I didn't scan all the channels but my 4yr old and 7yr old found the Cartoon Network, I would suggest bringing along a portable DVD player and some movies or something similar. Of course my kids didn't have much time to watch any of them, we were not in the cabin much and they got back rather late from Kids Korner each night.

I'll ditto the iPod touch and portable DVD player. If you bring along the right cables, you can hook up the portable DVD player to the TV in the cabin. We let each child bring one movie and one TV show DVD (usually Thomas the Tank Engine or Backyardigans).

Of course this year I'm hoping Santa brings an iPad or some other tablet so we can load the movies onto it and save some room in our carry on luggage :)

Archived