A few comments from a first timers

luxury-lizard

My husband and I recently completed a 2 week cruise on the Quest (Venice to Athens to Istanbul) - ie 2 one-week cruises. It was our first time on Seabourn and in fact the Quest was the largest cruise ship we had even been on - so my comments are not meant to compare Seabourn to similar / competitive lines.

First of all we were overall very impressed - the suite was excellent (we were on level 7 in a V4 suite) - very large and well laid out. Our room attendant was really excellent - so friendly and helpful. The bar and restaurant service was as "good as it gets" in any first class land-side establishment. The food was restaurant quality. The common areas were more than large enough to accommodate all guests without ever feeling crowded.

A few comments in the area of "room for improvement" are:-

- Guest services was only about a 4 out of 10 - not very helpful (except for one person in particular) and sometimes rude. Promises to call back were never fulfilled.

- Sparkling water at meal time was always served at room temperature - requests for ice were not always fulfilled. Mixers at the bar (eg tonic) were also served at room temperature which meant an icy cold G&T became very watery as you needed to add so much ice - I kept my own supply of cold tonic in our suite mini-bar.

- The meeting/boarding service in Venice was non-existant for passengers arriving by vaperetto / people mover while passengers arriving by water taxi were met with a luggage collection service and mini-van - we ended up walking at least 1km with our luggage.

- We struct the $50 for a Turkish visa issue which has been discussed at length in a separate thread - such a petty charge IMO.

- On departure day passports were only available for collection from 8am (due to Turkish visas needing to be issued) - this resulted in a line-up for up to 45 minutes - people were still waiting for their passports some 45 minutes after there dis-embarcation had been called. There was only one guest services person assigned to handing our passports - the whole process really pi**ed everyone off.

- As a first timer - I totally failed to see what the Cruise Director and Social Director added - perhaps they were working behind the scenes.

Nevertheless - these comments are minor and I would certain use Seabourn again and recommend them to friends.

I agree about the tonics etc at the pool bar being room temperature.

I did ask the bar man if they could not have them chilled, his reply was that they did not have the space in the refrigderators to do this, this by the way was on the Quest recently.

Also in the MDR we found that the sparkling water was also room temperature and when ice was asked for it seemed to slip their minds.

Otherwise a great cruise.

Hi

We will also be shortly 1st time cruisers doing the Venice to Athens on Istanbul, so many thanks for the above.

We will be arriving by car from the airport probably around 12.30ish and were wondering how that arrival compares to water taxi and vaporreta and also if we will be able to board at that time.

Also any tips and recommendations for excursions would be most welcome.

Have to say warm G&T is defininitely not on, they have to be ice cold!

The last time I joined in Venice we were processed documents-wise in the cruise terminal where we waited until we were called in groups to board the ship at 2:00. But of course I don't know how this Monday's boarding will be so I won't plan on arriving before 1:30 or 2:00 and will spend more time walking around beautiful Venice.

See you on board!

Hi

We will also be shortly 1st time cruisers doing the Venice to Athens on Istanbul, so many thanks for the above.

We will be arriving by car from the airport probably around 12.30ish and were wondering how that arrival compares to water taxi and vaporreta and also if we will be able to board at that time.

Also any tips and recommendations for excursions would be most welcome.

Have to say warm G&T is defininitely not on, they have to be ice cold!

I'm not sure how arrival by taxi/car works - but it seemed to me that taxis could get very close to the ship - the check-in was in a building immediately in front of the ship so that part was very convenient. We boarded at 3pm to 'avoid the rush' but we seemed to be almost the last of the passengers to board. I would just arrive at 12:30 and it seemed to me you would be able to board (but I'm not really sure).

As far as excursions so - in the small islands / ports doing your own thing is very easy - we hired a car on the spot in a couple of places - this can be a bit stressful if you plan to 'drive around the island' i.e. finding your way and in some places parking is very challenging. We took a couple of tours as well and they were good but not great - ie lots of time getting on and off of busses, waiting for other people, etc but that's to be expected with group tours. Let me know if you would like exact details of what we did in each port between Venice and Athens.

The last time I joined in Venice we were processed documents-wise in the cruise terminal where we waited until we were called in groups to board the ship at 2:00. But of course I don't know how this Monday's boarding will be so I won't plan on arriving before 1:30 or 2:00 and will spend more time walking around beautiful Venice.

See you on board!

Sorry, wrote incorrectly on 1st post. We are doing just the Venice to Athens on 24th October, so as you will be going before us, would be most grateful of your feed back before we go.

Yes, I certainly will do so!

There are 6 in our group and the couple who has never been on Seabourn, much less on a cruise, are getting very excited. I will make a short trip report as well during or just after the cruise and bring everyone up to date about Quest.

Regards

Archived