Back to back cruises - well sort of

DaveOKC

I was wondering if I could book a 4 day Pacific Coastal cruise (San Diego to Vancouver) and then book a 7 day Vancouver to Vancouver Alaska cruise (departing on the same day the Coastal arrives on the same ship).

If so, would this be 2 separate cruises or just one? The Coastal is the last leg of a Panama Canal (FLL to Vancouver) cruise, to further complicate things.

DaveOKC

This is one of those complicated booking issues that is best directed to HA (you can simply call their toll free number) or you could have a TA look into the booking. It does look to me like it would technically be a back-to-back booking (2 cruises) but you never know. When booking this kind of thing you might want to make sure that you get the same cabin all the way as opposed to having to change cabins in Vancouver.

Hank

Hank - the room issue is a bit of a problem as being a Coastal it is Guarantee only (I was thinking of booking SC). Plus, on the Alaska portion they have a room open that I would really like to get (also an SC).

I might have to call HAL as you suggest. I use a travel agent (***) but they are not as knowledgeable as folks on this board IMO.

Thanks for the idea though.

It will be considered 2 cruises -- just like we had in the old days -- not a Collector's cruise -- the real old time back-to-back cruises.

You will get 2 confirmation numbers. That is the way it was done just a couple of years ago.

We always book a specific cabin -- that way we never had to and still don't have to worry about changing cabins at the end of the first cruise.

It will be considered 2 cruises -- just like we had in the old days -- not a Collector's cruise -- the real old time back-to-back cruises.

You will get 2 confirmation numbers. That is the way it was done just a couple of years ago.

We always book a specific cabin -- that way we never had to and still don't have to worry about changing cabins at the end of the first cruise.

Great idea on the suites but will not work this time.

So, I take it this type of booking is legal. I know there are some crazy rules on bookings two cruises,

DaveOKC

If you are talking about legal under the PVSA, yes it is. The cruise, for the purposes of the PVSA is continuous from San Diego - Vancouver - Alaska - Vancouver, therefore you are not being transported from one US city to another, you are being transported from a US city (San Diego) to a foreign (Canadian - Vancouver) city so the PSVA does not apply. You would not, however, be able to terminate in any Alaskan City, as that would be a transport from one US city to another.

Rich

I was wondering if I could book a 4 day Pacific Coastal cruise (San Diego to Vancouver) and then book a 7 day Vancouver to Vancouver Alaska cruise (departing on the same day the Coastal arrives on the same ship).

If so, would this be 2 separate cruises or just one? The Coastal is the last leg of a Panama Canal (FLL to Vancouver) cruise, to further complicate things.

DaveOKC

Dave, doing that will be fine -- no problem at all if you need to book it as two separate cruises.

There are usually a number of people who do that on the first Alaska cruises of the season when they reposition the ships, so you would not be the only one doing it.

In fact, when we did that ourselves (on a different cruise line), on the turnaround day in Vancouver all the passengers who were continuing on to Alaska received coupons for free laundry and dry cleaning, which were much appreciated.

It is easiest, of course, if you can keep the same cabin for both cruises. But even if you can't, it is easy to arrange your belongings so that changing cabins is really no big deal. There have been several threads on Cruise Critic in the past giving tips on ways to make changing cabins quick and easy.

It would really be fun (if you can spare the time and cost) to board the ship at FLL and ride it all the way.

......So, I take it this type of booking is legal. I know there are some crazy rules on bookings two cruises,
Yes, this type of booking is legal.

Rest assured that you have nothing to worry about because those "crazy rules" will not cause any problem in your situation, regardless of whether you initially embark at FLL or San Diego.

With 2 cruises' date=' if you have the 100 shares of CCL stock, you may be able to get two stock credits - $50.00 for the 4 day cruise, and $100.00 for the 7 day cruise.[/quote']

Yes, the stock deal is nice. Now, if I an get the two cruises linked together (which I doubt I can) I could qualify for a larger credit from the on-board booking.

DaveOK

Archived