Embarcation question

stoneharborlady

Since the ship is "in port" on embarcation day, does this mean the MDR will be closed, ending the possibility of lunch there that day? Not trying to stir any pot, I promise, I just wondered if thats the end of that, period.

The diningroom is open on turnaround day (embarkation day), but some have had a hard time being allowed in on some ships. Many have taken the print out of the press release saying they are allowed to dine in the MDR after boarding. But just as many have been told to go to the buffet and refused entrance (from what I have read). Even with the new MDR rules in place, it is still 'supposed' to be open for the in transit passengers.

Hi There,

On our last few cruises we have been told, to go to the buffet for food,

when we said we wanted the MDR, we have told not sure if its open,

the buffet is this way, now as an intransit passenger, we knew it was

open and still they tried to send us to the buffet

yours Shogun

The diningroom is open on turnaround day (embarkation day), but some have had a hard time being allowed in on some ships. Many have taken the print out of the press release saying they are allowed to dine in the MDR after boarding. But just as many have been told to go to the buffet and refused entrance (from what I have read). Even with the new MDR rules in place, it is still 'supposed' to be open for the in transit passengers.

The MDR lunch 'invitation' is also on the newer folding deck maps. I filled out the form at the PSD for problems & the maitre d' called to explain he wasn't aware of the problem caused by an inexperienced employee. Posts from cruises after ours said they had no problem enjoying a MDR lunch between noon & 1:30 during embarkation. Like the OP, I wondered if the in port MDR lunch closing would affect it & will find out in 25 days on the Crown.

Since the ship is "in port" on embarcation day, does this mean the MDR will be closed, ending the possibility of lunch there that day? Not trying to stir any pot, I promise, I just wondered if thats the end of that, period.

Yes, the MDR is open on embarcation day. They have the Bon Voyage Experience lunch in there. We just did it on Saturday on the CB while docked in NY. There were others diners too, but not many. Folks seemed to embark very late that day. We pretty much had the ship to ourselves until around 2pm.

The MDR lunch 'invitation' is also on the newer folding deck maps. I filled out the form at the PSD for problems & the maitre d' called to explain he wasn't aware of the problem caused by an inexperienced employee. Posts from cruises after ours said they had no problem enjoying a MDR lunch between noon & 1:30 during embarkation. Like the OP, I wondered if the in port MDR lunch closing would affect it & will find out in 25 days on the Crown.
I believe that your problem was on the Sapphire. We did the BVE in April on the Sapphire with DD and DS so we had no problem getting into the MDR. We will be boarding the Sapphire again this Saturday and will let you know if we have any problems getting in. Over the past two years since they started offering the MDR as an option we have eaten in the MDR on embarkation day on the Golden, Star and Island. The MDR's were never posted as being open, but we found the one with an open door and walked in. Once we walked in we were welcomed for lunch each time.

I believe that your problem was on the Sapphire. We did the BVE in April on the Sapphire with DD and DS so we had no problem getting into the MDR. We will be boarding the Sapphire again this Saturday and will let you know if we have any problems getting in. Over the past two years since they started offering the MDR as an option we have eaten in the MDR on embarkation day on the Golden, Star and Island. The MDR's were never posted as being open, but we found the one with an open door and walked in. Once we walked in we were welcomed for lunch each time.

Thanks...hopefully they have continued to allow embarking passengers in the MDR for lunch. You have a good memory...it was on the Sapphire in early May...weren't you on it originally also or has my memory failed me??? :p

Never had the problem on the Star nor Golden but had read about it on CC being a problem so I was ready with documentation. It seems so odd particularly since the invitation is on the back of the newer foldable deck maps. :confused:

Archived