How safe is Ensenada, Mexico?

ringlet123

We are stopping in Ensenada at 8 PM until midnight. We are not interested in doing the shore excursion the ship offers. If we get off the ship is there anything right at the pier (shops, etc.) to browse through or sights to see at night? How safe is that area at night. We would be in a group of 4 people.

For less than 4 hours, there really isn't much you can do or see. Sure, you could run downtown and hit a club for an hour or so, but why bother. It sounds like your stop is nothing more than fulfilling the foreign port for gambling purposes.

There is a small shopping bldg on the dock which, frankly, has better prices than the downtown area. There is an outside bar (just a small portable one), liquor store, pharmacy, and a few trinket shops. I would say you are better off not rushing and worrying and just get off, have a few cheap drinks, buy a few items, and get back on the ship.

Bob

You can not come from the "outside" into the dock-side shopping area without passing thru security, so I would call it a "safe area". Look at the Port of Ensenada on google maps. You can see the layout of the port area (the current image has a Carnival ship in port). THe brown square is the "shopping area".

8PM may or may not still be daylight, depending on when you'll be there. And I'm not sure what time they roll up the sidewalks around there.

If you decide to go into town, walk thru the dockside shopping building and as you come out the back there should be tour busses lined up. For a few bucks pp they will take you into town. (If they are still going to La Bufadora that evening it's and additional $10-15.)

You can walk up and down a few blocks (Avenida Lopez Mateos), check out the shops, maybe buy some junk, definitely buy some tacos and beers. The clubs will be hopping if you're interested. There are taxi stands on several corners. About $5 back to the boat. There's also horse drawn carriages back to the boat, no idea of cost, but everything is negotiable.

From downtown to the port area is about a 10 minute walk. I've walked it a bunch, but I wouldn't do it at night. It's like any other big city, be careful where you go at night.

Or as posted, hang out boat-side. The items in the store are somewhat limited, but you might find something you like. Everything is marked with a price so not much negotiating. Grab some beers and/or a nice bottle of tequila and enjoy the evening on the dock.

For less than 4 hours, there really isn't much you can do or see. Sure, you could run downtown and hit a club for an hour or so, but why bother. It sounds like your stop is nothing more than fulfilling the foreign port for gambling purposes.

There is a small shopping bldg on the dock which, frankly, has better prices than the downtown area. There is an outside bar (just a small portable one), liquor store, pharmacy, and a few trinket shops. I would say you are better off not rushing and worrying and just get off, have a few cheap drinks, buy a few items, and get back on the ship.

Bob

I like your closing, same for me, lots of Mexican cruises (not as many as you tho) and gave up flying a few years ago. Anyway, there are 2 'shopping areas' there in Ensenada, the old one with the bar outside you're talking about (I like this one better) and the new one that unfortunately doesn't have the outside bar, just a little tiny thing in the back corner of the building, not nearly as fun or friendly. We'll be in Ensenada again in a month, hopefully we'll be at the 'old' shopping building.

Or as posted, hang out boat-side. The items in the store are somewhat limited, but you might find something you like. Everything is marked with a price so not much negotiating. Grab some beers and/or a nice bottle of tequila and enjoy the evening on the dock.

We did this on our last cruise in Ensenada and had a great time! Buy the tequila in the store and drink it on the dock.

If you have kids I wouldn't get off the ship. I had a man offer me $20 to have some alone time with my 11 yr old daughter there. He wanted to take my daughter into his 'shop' for a 'visit' and held out a $20 bill to me.

It was a dirty, smelly run down port! We spent 30 mins in town and went back to the ship!

• 2 weeks later...
We are stopping in Ensenada at 8 PM until midnight. We are not interested in doing the shore excursion the ship offers. If we get off the ship is there anything right at the pier (shops, etc.) to browse through or sights to see at night? How safe is that area at night. We would be in a group of 4 people.

I go to Ensenada 4-5 times a year & I've never had a problem down there even at night. The Bars & Clubs are hoping at night. Mango Mango is a good place for dancing & music. Hussongs Cantina & Pappas & Beer across the street are also worth checking out. Like any City just keep your wits about yourself, also stay off of Miramar St that's were all the strip joints,drugs dealers & prostitutes are. Have Fun & Enjoy your trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Been to Ensenada many times with my girls. Never had them propositioned by anyone. We always get off the ship and walk off the beaten path up to the department store and larger supermarket. We are going back in November, January and Febraury.

Not worth it getting off just for a few hours if you have no idea where you are going. Do not know what is open that time of night.

Archived