Need help before pulling the trigger...switch to a suite?

Alaska_2012

I am supposed to make a final decision today about booking the cabin my TA has on hold (VB6038). I've gone back over all itineraries and I'm sure I want to stick with the Zuiderdam (to Alaska June 2012). I started looking at suites and we can get SA7048, 7052 or 7054 (four in our group) but the price difference is $2900. This seems quite steep and I'm wondering if the room/priviledges are worth the price difference. I would appreciate your opinions.

Is the 4 in your group 2 adults, 2 children, or 4 adults? That would really make a difference in what you'll want to book. We've done a family of 4 in a balcony, and it was fine, but if it was 4 adults, I'd want the suite.

I am supposed to make a final decision today about booking the cabin my TA has on hold (VB6038). I've gone back over all itineraries and I'm sure I want to stick with the Zuiderdam (to Alaska June 2012). I started looking at suites and we can get SA7048, 7052 or 7054 (four in our group) but the price difference is $2900. This seems quite steep and I'm wondering if the room/priviledges are worth the price difference. I would appreciate your opinions.

Do you mean four in the same cabin or four different cabins or two cabins for two people each? if there are four of you in the same cabin, the very large suites are wonderful.

If you are four different cabins or two different cabins in your group, why not get one suite and you can all visit it for gathering during the day and everyone kind of splits the difference.

Room privileges might not be worth it, but the size is. Plus if only one of you gets the suite, only that cabin gets the Neptune Lounge privileges.

Have you looked at the SZ/SY level suites - we had one which did not have the Neptune Lounge and was smaller than the full suite cabins but was a very, very nice cabin on the Zuiderdam. We did do a lot of viewing from inside our cabin with its large suite windows where it was warm, but only once used the balcony with heavy lap rugs. (And this was June in Alaska)

Any help? Probably not. :o

Price increase is about $100 a day per person - tough call.

Personally, if it doesn't break the bank I think your family would love the suite and what comes with it because it provides a quiet private space in the Neptune Lounge, unending food and snacks for the teenagers and a place to enjoy other adults for yourselves, while your teenagers may want to meet with new friends in your suite.

Alaska,

The balcony cabin was fine on our Alaska cruise. The suite would be very nice, but think about how many shore excursions you could do in Alaska with that money (they are very expensive, and you'll want to do them all!) The only thing I would caution you on, is that 4 in a room is tight, but completely doable. I worried that we all wouldn't fit, and it worked out just fine. There is almost no drawer space, but lots of shelf space in the closets. We used rolled down paper bags that we brought(thank you CC for all the awesome ideas on here) to hold socks and underwear on the shelves in lieu of drawers. And nesting suitcases all fit under the beds. We had the youngest shower at night, to eliminate bathroom hogging. (He just stands in there.. I don't know why) the rest of us were just fine getting ready.

I also have scans of the teen programs from when we went if you'd like to see them.

Thank you both. I'm sure the balcony room would be tight but I think we would be ok. I love the thought of the suite; it is just so much money!! I am going to sleep on it. My brain is spinning!!

Just saw the part a out the teen programs. I'd love to see what you have. Thanks!

Alaska,

Here is a link to my Club Hal scans:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/577800416nQfLML

Here are the dailies:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/577768744WNhkFe

And here are the menus:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/577775169ciJTLO

This is just to give you an idea of what we experienced. I'm sure you'll love your cruise as much as we did ours!

Thank you for the scans. I didn't know they had anything available for teens. That's awesome.

The more I think about it, I think I will go with the balcony room. Sure I would love to have the extra space/access to the NL, etc. but $3000 is a huge chunck to cut out from excursions. I'd rather not have to nickel and dime ourselves and be comfortable while on board. Maybe next time.

Thanks for all the advice. :D

Thank you for the scans. I didn't know they had anything available for teens. That's awesome.

The more I think about it, I think I will go with the balcony room. Sure I would love to have the extra space/access to the NL, etc. but $3000 is a huge chunck to cut out from excursions. I'd rather not have to nickel and dime ourselves and be comfortable while on board. Maybe next time.

Thanks for all the advice. :D

I think you're making a very good decision. Alaska excursions are expensive, and paying for 4 people..... oy! :D You will soon forget about whatever cabin you get (regardless of category), and your memories will be all about the beauty and the amazing experiences and the time with family.

Two adults and two teenagers in one cabin. It doesn't show any SZ/SY cabins. Maybe they don't accommodate four? Thanks for your quick replies.

Yes, unfortunately the Superior Suites (SZ/SY) cabins don't accommodate 4. There are only doubles and triples. It's too bad b/c they would be a great size for a family that needed a bit of extra space but didn't want to or couldn't afford to go with a Deluxe Suite.

There is always the option of two adjoining inside cabins and leaving the ship webcam on for daylight when you want it, plus if one is going to Alaska when the evenings are very long one may not even want an oceanview/balcony cabin. (Great suggestiom from another HAL posters).

There are 2 very large drawers (hidden behind the bed skirt) at the foot of the bed.

There was also a drawer in the base one of the cabin's sofa, but I can't remember which ship or cabin. Not sure all of them have them. Some of those hidden things that one learns about often too late to enjoy so good tips to pass on.

One thing for sure, suites have way more drawer space than I think anyone could use. And a closet for everyone, if there are four people in the suite

I'd look into two adjoining cabins, either Oceanview or Verandah for the extra bathroom and floorspace. It's like having a condo. I've done this with girlfriends when we've cruised together. If you have the cabin steward rearrange the beds in the kids room to an L-shaped arrangement, it really frees up the space.

Archived