Sawyer Glacier or Glacier Bay? Which and why?

sdmike

Since we'll basically be there the first week of July - can I assume that such is rarely an issue then?

Tom

If it's anything like this past season was, there can be plenty of other issues that prevent ships from getting up the arm all season long. Ice, animals, fog, you name it. Many ships (at least the HAL ships, since those are the reviews I was following) didn't make it in or didn't make it very far. My parents sailed during the first week of August and the fog was so thick at the entrance to Tracy Arm that the Captain didn't even attempt to enter.

If it's anything like this past season was, there can be plenty of other issues that prevent ships from getting up the arm all season long. Ice, animals, fog, you name it. Many ships (at least the HAL ships, since those are the reviews I was following) didn't make it in or didn't make it very far. My parents sailed during the first week of August and the fog was so thick at the entrance to Tracy Arm that the Captain didn't even attempt to enter.

Well - hopefully having the excursion planned for that will get us to it, though thick fog would be a damper!

Tom

Well - hopefully having the excursion planned for that will get us to it, though thick fog would be a damper!

Tom

Tom -

How much is the excursion? It's my understanding that you don't need an excursion in Glacier Bay (can view off your balcony), so it might be a wash financially. I determined the extra cost of Glacier Bay versus Tracy Arm is $500 for a 4 person mini ($125pp), $400 for a 2 person mini ($200pp), and $200 for a 2 person inside ($100pp) using our preferred travel company. If the excursion is over $100pp it might certainly make financial sense for us to switch to the Pearl.

Tom -

How much is the excursion? It's my understanding that you don't need an excursion in Glacier Bay (can view off your balcony), so it might be a wash financially. I determined the extra cost of Glacier Bay versus Tracy Arm is $500 for a 4 person mini ($125pp), $400 for a 2 person mini ($200pp), and $200 for a 2 person inside ($100pp) using our preferred travel company. If the excursion is over $100pp it might certainly make financial sense for us to switch to the Pearl.

It was pretty steep --- $209/pp

Tom

It was pretty steep --- $209/pp

Tom

Thanks. So if we think an excursion is required for Tracy Arm, it's pretty much a wash financially. Want to switch dates, Tom? I'd love to sail with you guys. What do you say to 7/29 to Glacier Bay? :D

I think Jewel has been in drydock for engine repairs, but not sure if she's had any upgrades recently. Is there any reason I would prefer the Pearl versus the Jewel or vice versa?

Thanks. So if we think an excursion is required for Tracy Arm, it's pretty much a wash financially. Want to switch dates, Tom? I'd love to sail with you guys. What do you say to 7/29 to Glacier Bay? :D

I think Jewel has been in drydock for engine repairs, but not sure if she's had any upgrades recently. Is there any reason I would prefer the Pearl versus the Jewel or vice versa?

I'll stick with our dates, and the Saturday departure/arrival, lol. Would like to sail with you guys as well. Perhaps one day (or 7)!

I don't have the full story, but I believe that the last dry dock for the Jewel did not have her fitted with all that they planned.

THIS showed the Jewel getting a Brazilian Steakhouse this (2011) year, but I don't think that occurred.

I have no doubt that Glacier Bay is a huge awe inspiring event - though getting up close and personal in that excursion out of Juneau (on the Jewel) is appealing to me. I'll just make a mental note to pick a cruise which includes Glacier Bay for our RETURN trip to Alaska one day!

Tom

Tom -

this is my point- repeatively. People will claim it is "cheaper" to do NCL's Tracy Arm's itinerary compared to Glacier Bay- talking themselves into the "sameness". As I always state- in my opinion, it is "necessary" and FAR superior to transit Tracy Arm with the add on boat tour- which is in the same price range as the difference comparing the two itineraries.

We are sailing in late July. Maybe we have a better chance of getting up near the glacier. I've actually been to Sawyer before when I was working in Juneau. I've also hiked on Mendenhal. I've had my fill of glaciers, but it would be nice if the rest of our group got a nice view.

Sorry, absolutely not. Do not count on getting any closer than my posted photo, miles away. NCL is very tightly timed, and they just about never get "close". The two ships share the Juneau AJ dock and the Juneau ship excursions are a huge revenue source. Always some- big deal in the commentary, about "safety" etc etc etc and them having to turn back. Do you REALLY think there is any danger- are ships falling apart, getting gashed by the glaciers on trips- ships sinking every week?? Come on- it SOUNDS good when they want to get out of there, and into the next port.

this is my point- repeatively. People will claim it is "cheaper" to do NCL's Tracy Arm's itinerary compared to Glacier Bay- talking themselves into the "sameness". As I always state- in my opinion, it is "necessary" and FAR superior to transit Tracy Arm with the add on boat tour- which is in the same price range as the difference comparing the two itineraries.

For the same money would you suggest the Tracy Arm add-on tour or staying on the ship (no tour) in Glacier Bay? I think you were saying if you go to Tracy Arm you HAVE to take the add-on to see anything, but still prefer Glacier Bay. Correct?

We are sailing the Pearl in late June and have already booked the Tracy Arm small boat excursion at $239 pp. Our TA says that this is the best way to see Tracy Arm. We were in AK in both 2002 and 03. The first time we got into the opening at the base of the glacier before being turned back by seal pups, and three large bergs that were blocking the entrance. The captian dispatched the ships photographer on a zodiac and he got some wonderful shots of the glacier, the ship, and the sea pups. They were big sellers - I know I bought a set and they hang in my entry hall.

The second trip we didn't even get taht far before turning around and leaving.

Weather in AK is always a crap shoot no matter what time of year.

I agree that Endicot arm is not the same as Tracy Arm and I hope we have nice weather and are able to see Sawyer.

Isn't the Pearl going to Glacier Bay and not Tracy Arm?

Last year, NCL started a round trip Juneau Tracy Arm excursion. However, I'm siure this poster does not realize this, but, this is a definately lacking tour. First problem, it is 3 hours shorter than the regular round trip Juneau Tracy Arm tours, which means, significantly less time for wildlife spotting, and "stops" along the way. This tour, essentially is a zoom trip back and forth to the so so South Sawyer Glacier.

For the same money would you suggest the Tracy Arm add-on tour or staying on the ship (no tour) in Glacier Bay? I think you were saying if you go to Tracy Arm you HAVE to take the add-on to see anything, but still prefer Glacier Bay. Correct?

For me- Glacier Bay, AND a day tour out of Juneau (with an itinerary there the full day) to Tracy Arm. Ideal all the way around.

For me- Glacier Bay, AND a day tour out of Juneau (with an itinerary there the full day) to Tracy Arm. Ideal all the way around.

Thanks. Now negotiating with my brother to change itineraries. Appreciate the input on this topic

budget queen and I are on the same page - Pearl to Glacier Bay and take the all day tour of Tracy Arm out of Juneau. Yes it is more expensive as you are paying more for the Pearl cruise and another 239p/p for the tour.

As for Sat vs Sun departures, we prefer to get to the port city at least a day before the cruise - next year we will take the train from PDX to Seattle, spend the night downtown and catch the ship the next day - a nice relaxing pre cruise trip. When we return the following sun, we will also take the train back to PDX - all in all it should be a near zero stress trip - just what a vacation should be about - right.

I found the following comment on the NCL page regarding the Tracy Arm excursion (LINK):

This tour is not available for guests on Norwegian Pearl. The correct duration for this tour is 5 hours.

I know that many times webpages are not correct or lack updating. So, is this tour actually available to those sailing on the Pearl?

Tom

I'm another who has done both itineraries several times. While Glacier Bay is my preference, I really enjoy the scenery of the Fjord as well. But like has been said, don't count on more than seeing the Sawyer Glaciers 'in the distance' LOL

budget queen and I are on the same page - Pearl to Glacier Bay and take the all day tour of Tracy Arm out of Juneau. Yes it is more expensive as you are paying more for the Pearl cruise and another 239p/p for the tour.

QUOTE]

Sorry, not quite- I would never consider the Tracy Arm tour, round trip out of Juneau on a NCL sailing. When I go, I am on a 10 hour tour, nothing less, and on a different cruiseline, that is all day in port.

I found the following comment on the NCL page regarding the Tracy Arm excursion (LINK):

This tour is not available for guests on Norwegian Pearl. The correct duration for this tour is 5 hours.

I know that many times webpages are not correct or lack updating. So, is this tour actually available to those sailing on the Pearl?

Tom

This isn't the tour they are referring to. This is another Tracy Arm tour available for the Pearl.

On page 3 of the NCL shore excursion list, just below the tour you have listed.

Sorry, not quite- I would never consider the Tracy Arm tour, round trip out of Juneau on a NCL sailing. When I go, I am on a 10 hour tour, nothing less, and on a different cruiseline, that is all day in port.

Our listed shore times for Juneau that day is 7:00 until 1:30. Our departure time for the tour is 1:15 - so it apparently leaves just before the ship, and meets up with it shortly after 6PM. I just hope Mother Nature (weather) shines on us!! :)

Tom

Tom - So the tour catches up with the ship later? That would be the first excursion I've been on where it and the ship leave at the same time. :eek:

I will be staying on this itinerary. NCL said I'd forfeit my deposit on the Jewel if I switched. Now it's time to research these excursions. :) Thanks everyone!

Archived