Best Piano Entertainer on Carnival? (Part 2)

CC Help Jenn

Could you elaborate on what made the piano bar singer so bad? Also, what kind of music did Jay sing? Thanks.

Hello, The piano player (Martin) is just very plain. He basically plays the piano and that's about it. Not much "entertaining". We didn't think he was a really bad singer, we're just used to the piano bar rocking and everyone singing along. We've had some good times there.

Jay sings all kind of music and has a request book that he sends around. Just write down what you want to hear and drop it on the stage, he'll play it.

Hello, The piano player (Martin) is just very plain. He basically plays the piano and that's about it. Not much "entertaining". We didn't think he was a really bad singer, we're just used to the piano bar rocking and everyone singing along. We've had some good times there.

Jay sings all kind of music and has a request book that he sends around. Just write down what you want to hear and drop it on the stage, he'll play it.

I totally agree, I was on the same cruise 8/19/12. Jay was TERRIFIC his voice and playing abilities are great. But like you said if you can handle the smoke, jm a non-smoker and it's quite stuffy, he was so entertaining that I went to hear him play 2 nights. Now to the piano bar whew!!!! Lol, terrible, he didn't know a lot of songs and when we requested things he kept saying I don't know I just started last week, lol. We had fun because we took it for what it was worth and sang along to songs like piano man but as an entertainer boring and just not good. One night he got blasted from all the drinks people bought him lol.

Edited by Neekflowers

Thanks for your response. Seems like Jay from Swingtime Lounge will no longer be on the ship when I cruise in October. Bummer. Oh well, we will give Martin in the piano bar a chance; hopefully he will have improved by then.

I totally agree, I was on the same cruise 8/19/12. Jay was TERRIFIC his voice and playing abilities are great. But like you said if you can handle the smoke, jm a non-smoker and it's quite stuffy, he was so entertaining that I went to hear him play 2 nights. Now to the piano bar whew!!!! Lol, terrible, he didn't know a lot of songs and when we requested things he kept saying I don't know I just started last week, lol. We had fun because we took it for what it was worth and sang along to songs like piano man but as an entertainer boring and just not good. One night he got blasted from all the drinks people bought him lol.

Ugh!! Did the piano player have a playlist?

If not, I was thinking about printing the one from his website and bringing it with me on the cruise. At least then, he'd be hard pressed to claim he didn't know that song!

Ugh!! Did the piano player have a playlist?

If not, I was thinking about printing the one from his website and bringing it with me on the cruise. At least then, he'd be hard pressed to claim he didn't know that song!

Ask for those songs with a good tip and I'm sure he'll have a better memory...

Ask for those songs with a good tip and I'm sure he'll have a better memory...

I always tip when I request songs, but sadly that hasn't always made a difference.

For example in Feb 2010 when DH and I were on a 6 day Freedom sailing, I requested a Bon Jovi song on one of the request slips the PB player provided and attached a $5 bill to it. Almost an hour went by and the guy still hadn't played my song. I finally asked if he was going to play it and he said he didn't know that one.

So, I was like, "So, you're just going to keep my $5 and not play anything?"

He dug my slip with the $5 out of the pile and handed it back to me.

I always tip when I request songs, but sadly that hasn't always made a difference.

For example in Feb 2010 when DH and I were on a 6 day Freedom sailing, I requested a Bon Jovi song on one of the request slips the PB player provided and attached a $5 bill to it. Almost an hour went by and the guy still hadn't played my song. I finally asked if he was going to play it and he said he didn't know that one.

So, I was like, "So, you're just going to keep my $5 and not play anything?"

He dug my slip with the $5 out of the pile and handed it back to me.

Yeah... that's not right... If he didn't know your song (that came with a tip), a substitute should have been offered (or refund the $5 which he did after you questioned). I almost always side with the player as it's a much tougher job than most realize but you are completely right here..... A problem is when people ask for a bunch of songs with no $$$... easy to "forget" them in that situation!

Edited by pmang

Yeah... that's not right... If he didn't know your song, a substitute should have been offered (or refund the $5 which he did after you questioned). I almost always side with the player as it's a much tougher job than most realize but you are completely right here.....

I agree with you--I know it's a tough job and never have I ever had to say anything like that to a PB player. But, it's like you said, he should've offered a substitute or at least said he didn't know it and asked me for a second choice.

Another thing that bugged me about this player was that he spent an inordinate amount of time listening to one girl's Ipod trying to learn a song she wanted to hear, all the while not playing a single song while the rest of us sat there.

Gosh I really need to get my act together. Been busy with life stuff, thanks for covering Ceegers! And thanks for the additional updates. (filling my holes! ;) LOL)

One thing, I'd like to point out is that Carnival seems to be bringing in a lot of newbies into piano bars. I guess it's sort of like flinging crap at wall to see what sticks. Some of these guys have no experience on a cruise ship or more particularly a Carnival cruise ship. Give 'em a chance. The smart ones will listen to what the passengers ask for and adapt. The not so smart ones won't. But it will take some time. I've already heard good things about Martin Aucoin on the Freedom, adjusting and learning songs to make folks happy. Encourage them, chat with them, find out about their history, tell them what you like to hear, what you expect, but in a nice way! Look at Brennan Villnes who was on the Miracle earlier this year. The first reviews I read of him were terrible, but he paid attention, turned it around and was getting lots of good comments by the end of his contract.

Am I happy that they are bringing newbies in to learn the trade on their dime? Yes and no, on one hand they are doing it at the expense of some talented veterans, but on the other hand there are some real gems to be found.

Sorry, if I sound like a lecturing mommy or a broken record, but I always say, different strokes for different folks, always check the scene out for yourself at least once or better yet twice. If you don't like what you hear, feel free to express it, but the more details you provide on what you did and did not like, the more helpful it is!

Thank you and have some great cruises.

Laura

Gosh I really need to get my act together. Been busy with life stuff, thanks for covering Ceegers! And thanks for the additional updates. (filling my holes! ;) LOL)

One thing, I'd like to point out is that Carnival seems to be bringing in a lot of newbies into piano bars. I guess it's sort of like flinging crap at wall to see what sticks. Some of these guys have no experience on a cruise ship or more particularly a Carnival cruise ship. Give 'em a chance. The smart ones will listen to what the passengers ask for and adapt. The not so smart ones won't. But it will take some time. I've already heard good things about Martin Aucoin on the Freedom, adjusting and learning songs to make folks happy. Encourage them, chat with them, find out about their history, tell them what you like to hear, what you expect, but in a nice way! Look at Brennan Villnes who was on the Miracle earlier this year. The first reviews I read of him were terrible, but he paid attention, turned it around and was getting lots of good comments by the end of his contract.

Am I happy that they are bringing newbies in to learn the trade on their dime? Yes and no, on one hand they are doing it at the expense of some talented veterans, but on the other hand there are some real gems to be found.

Sorry, if I sound like a lecturing mommy or a broken record, but I always say, different strokes for different folks, always check the scene out for yourself at least once or better yet twice. If you don't like what you hear, feel free to express it, but the more details you provide on what you did and did not like, the more helpful it is!

Thank you and have some great cruises.

Laura

Excellent advice Laura and welcome back! :)

No clue what happened to Justin on the CQ...

Breeze: "Piano Bar Bob" Berhalter 6/27/2012 - 11/6/2012 Piano Bar Bob's FB

Breeze: Ron Pass 11/6/2012 - 2/??/2013 http://www.ronpass.com

Conquest: Michael Dardis current - 10/14/2012

Conquest drydock 10/14/2012 - 10/28/2012

Destiny: Michael O'Quinn 9/8/2012 - ???

Dream drydock 9/8/2012 - 9/22/2012

Dream: Jerone "Imani" Howard 9/22/2012 - 12/12/2012

Dream: "Piano Bar Bob" Berhalter 12/12/2012 - 4/13/2013

Ecstasy: Milburn Dumas 7/21/2012 - 1/19/2013

Elation: Beau Tahana 9/8/2012 - 3/9/2013

Fantasy: Angela Johnson 5/4/2012 - 11/3/2012

Fascination: Wally B. 8/13/2012 - 11/15/2012

Freedom: Martin Aucoin 8/19/2012 - 2/17/2013

Glory: Tom Riccio 5/27/2012 - 11/2/2012

Glory drydock 11/2/2012 - 11/15/2012

Imagination: Larry Maconaghy 4/2/2012 - 10/01/2012

Imagination: Marty Gast 10/1/2012 - ?

Inspiration: Dewey Hunt 6/9/2012 - 10/8/2012

Legend: Jordan Heppner 7/15/2012 - 11/18/2012

Liberty: Dave Filsinger 4/28/2012 - 10/27/2012

Magic: Jim Morris until 1/13/2013

Miracle: Peter Brenner until 11/14/2012

Paradise: Tom Grable 6/11/2012 - 11/12/2012

Pride: Roger Concepcion current - 9/23/2012

Sensation: Del Clark 8/9/2012 - 2/2/2013 http://www.delclark.com

Spirit: Doug Ross until 9/18/2012

Spirit: Keith Turner 9/18/2012 - 10/17/2012

Splendor: Brad Alexander 9/16/2012 - 3/23/2013 http://www.bradthepianoman.com

Triumph: Russell Villarin 2/23/2012 - 9/20/2012 Russell's FB Fan Club

Triumph: Frank Glenn 9/20/2012 - ???

Valor: Gregory George 6/23/2012 - 12/2/2012

Valor: Seth Gibson 12/2/2012 - 3/24/2013 http://www.sethgibsonmusic.com

Victory: Rob Crucilla 5/20/2012 - 11/04/2012

*** A note about this list: This list is compiled from reports and reviews of current cruisers and reports from the entertainers themselves. There is no guarantee of accuracy. An actual date usually means that the schedule has been confirmed by either the performer or someone inside Carnival. Schedules are subject to change. Also, this list is updated very regularly, so if it's not on the list, we probably don't know it.

Thanks Ceegers! One day we will be on the same ship and I will have to buy you a drink or 10 for all your help!

No clue what happened to Justin on the CQ...

Breeze: "Piano Bar Bob" Berhalter 6/27/2012 - 11/6/2012 Piano Bar Bob's FB

Breeze: Ron Pass 11/6/2012 - 2/??/2013 http://www.ronpass.com

Conquest: Michael Dardis current - 10/14/2012

Conquest drydock 10/14/2012 - 10/28/2012

Destiny: Michael O'Quinn 9/8/2012 - ???

Dream drydock 9/8/2012 - 9/22/2012

Dream: Jerone "Imani" Howard 9/22/2012 - 12/12/2012

Dream: "Piano Bar Bob" Berhalter 12/12/2012 - 4/13/2013

Ecstasy: Milburn Dumas 7/21/2012 - 1/19/2013

Elation: Beau Tahana 9/8/2012 - 3/9/2013

Fantasy: Angela Johnson 5/4/2012 - 11/3/2012

Fascination: Wally B. 8/13/2012 - 11/15/2012

Freedom: Martin Aucoin 8/19/2012 - 2/17/2013

Glory: Tom Riccio 5/27/2012 - 11/2/2012

Glory drydock 11/2/2012 - 11/15/2012

Imagination: Larry Maconaghy 4/2/2012 - 10/01/2012

Imagination: Marty Gast 10/1/2012 - ?

Inspiration: Dewey Hunt 6/9/2012 - 10/8/2012

Legend: Jordan Heppner 7/15/2012 - 11/18/2012

Liberty: Dave Filsinger 4/28/2012 - 10/27/2012

Magic: Jim Morris until 1/13/2013

Miracle: Peter Brenner until 11/14/2012

Paradise: Tom Grable 6/11/2012 - 11/12/2012

Pride: Roger Concepcion current - 9/23/2012

Sensation: Del Clark 8/9/2012 - 2/2/2013 http://www.delclark.com

Spirit: Doug Ross until 9/18/2012

Spirit: Keith Turner 9/18/2012 - 10/17/2012

Splendor: Brad Alexander 9/16/2012 - 3/23/2013 http://www.bradthepianoman.com

Triumph: Russell Villarin 2/23/2012 - 9/20/2012 Russell's FB Fan Club

Triumph: Frank Glenn 9/20/2012 - ???

Valor: Gregory George 6/23/2012 - 12/2/2012

Valor: Seth Gibson 12/2/2012 - 3/24/2013 http://www.sethgibsonmusic.com

Victory: Rob Crucilla 5/20/2012 - 11/04/2012

*** A note about this list: This list is compiled from reports and reviews of current cruisers and reports from the entertainers themselves. There is no guarantee of accuracy. An actual date usually means that the schedule has been confirmed by either the performer or someone inside Carnival. Schedules are subject to change. Also, this list is updated very regularly, so if it's not on the list, we probably don't know it.

I will confess - I have not read all the posts on this thread or on the original (now locked) thread - but the original poster in the original thread started talking about Bert Stratton on Princess ships, and I had the pleasure of listening to Bert on the Caribbean Princess last September. He is a terrific entertainer and very enjoyable. He is also a very nice man who sat and talked with us for a while.

I also had the pleasure of sitting in the Cleopatra Lounge on the Carnival Fantasy over the Labor Day weekend listening to a pianist. Angela Johnson is not only a classically trained concert pianist who is totally at one with her piano, she also has a wonderful personality, a magnificent voice and judging from what I saw from everyone else listening to her (as well as my own ears), she tops my list. Yes, she does have her way of singing a song, and it may not be the same way the song was originally done - but that's what style is about.

Best piano player (and pianist) on Carnival? - Angel Johnson

Angela - if you read this - I wish you well with your plans for a website, get the CD out so I can buy it, and I'm sorry if my drumming put you off at times.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

just off the Paradise (about done with the Fantasy class ships now, yay)

Started off kinda slow, but he worked into it very well

I shared some tips from other piano players and methinks he will improve, was much better by the end of the cruise

I know many cruisers think all the PBE's know each other, but they simply do not, a few have managed to meet, but it's the exception

Anyway, Tom will not disappoint, does lots of requests, has a "rhythm section" that he passes out

Our crowd was great and he put back what we brought to the game

Look for him on larger ships in the future!

I shared some tips from other piano players and methinks he will improve, was much better by the end of the cruise

I know many cruisers think all the PBE's know each other, but they simply do not, a few have managed to meet, but it's the exception

Anyway, Tom will not disappoint, does lots of requests, has a "rhythm section" that he passes out

Thanks for the report--that's great to hear!

We had Tom on the Imagination 2 years ago, and while he wasn't actually what I would call bad... At the time, he didn't have a playlist & he didn't really bring in the crowd.

As the piano bar is one of our favorite venues, we kept hoping. Sounds like he's improved a lot since then. Glad you had a great time!

This is great to hear! It is so nice to hear some positive things!

Just got off the Triumph where I spent most evenings in the piano bar with Frank Glenn. He was very funny and entertaining. He plays a good selection of the classic singalongs along with some more unusual stuff to keep things interesting. I've never heard anyone play the theme to Gilligan's Island in the piano bar before! It was a very good time each and every night I was there.