Best Piano Entertainer on Carnival? (Part 2)

CC Help Jenn

I don't want to be mean but could someone tell me how the guy on the Victory keeps his job:confused: without a doubt one of the worst i have ever heard. We only stood outside for a few minutes but man this guy has no voice just a gravely sound coming out , and it wasnt a bad night or cruise I did a search and never have read a good thing on him. We so enjoy the piano bar was so dissapointed in this on our previous cruise.

I don't want to be mean but could someone tell me how the guy on the Victory keeps his job:confused: without a doubt one of the worst i have ever heard. We only stood outside for a few minutes but man this guy has no voice just a gravely sound coming out , and it wasnt a bad night or cruise I did a search and never have read a good thing on him. We so enjoy the piano bar was so dissapointed in this on our previous cruise.

Will trade him for Wally B any day. Not on the list anymore and hopefully Carnival has realized how good he is at emptying the piano bar.

Most of the other entertainers are head and shoulders above him.

Will trade him for Wally B any day. Not on the list anymore and hopefully Carnival has realized how good he is at emptying the piano bar.

Most of the other entertainers are head and shoulders above him.

Well there was never more than 6 people in the bar the whole week of our cruise ,cant figure why they dont get some good talent what a money maker drink wise when they have a good one in there.

Anyone have any opinions of Jim Morris?

Thanks, I tried to search but with the piano bar entertainer list it is impossible.

I've only seen a couple of reviews on him, during his summer on the Magic:

8/15/2011 from Jolimont:

"Definitely not the guy on the Magic last month. He was ok for a few minutes, but I've heard much MUCH better. "

8/15/2011 from LucyIntheSkywithDiamonds:

Re: Jim on carnival magic

"I went in a few times, but the atmosphere was too sleepy for me!"

I heard from another musician on the ship that the piano bar was pretty quiet.

HOWEVER, keep in mind that piano bars on European cruises are a much different affair than the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera. The cruise is more port intensive, the demographics tend to be older which equals a quieter nightlife. Plus from what I understand Jim is a nice guy, with a more old school, laid back style.

I always say not to let other people form your opinions for you. Give him a chance. His style may suit you better than you think.

Happy Cruising,

Laura

Well there was never more than 6 people in the bar the whole week of our cruise ,cant figure why they dont get some good talent what a money maker drink wise when they have a good one in there.

6 isnt too bad. Quite a few times just Wally and the barmaid.

He plays very well but has not quite realized he is in a piano bar and should play songs we can sing to.

Pointed it out to the CD on our first cruise with him and he just shook his head and said he had been saying the same thing and Wally would not listen.

The second cruise with him we went in the first night same old and enjoyed the other entertainment the rest of the cruise.

I've only seen a couple of reviews on him, during his summer on the Magic:

8/15/2011 from Jolimont:

"Definitely not the guy on the Magic last month. He was ok for a few minutes, but I've heard much MUCH better. "

8/15/2011 from LucyIntheSkywithDiamonds:

Re: Jim on carnival magic

"I went in a few times, but the atmosphere was too sleepy for me!"

I heard from another musician on the ship that the piano bar was pretty quiet.

HOWEVER, keep in mind that piano bars on European cruises are a much different affair than the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera. The cruise is more port intensive, the demographics tend to be older which equals a quieter nightlife. Plus from what I understand Jim is a nice guy, with a more old school, laid back style.

I always say not to let other people form your opinions for you. Give him a chance. His style may suit you better than you think.

Happy Cruising,

Laura

Thanks Laura - I also know that Ron Pass is a hard act to follow!

I've only ever heard of one entertainer being let go because he wasn't generating enough revenue (and I still think it was a BS excuse). As long as they have a body to put at the piano who shows up when they are supposed to and doesn't get caught breaking the rules, it's considered a job well done.

Frankly, it seems that if Gerry Cahill has his way there would be no more live music on the ships (a fact that will become more obvious as the Funship 2.0 upgrades go into effect on more ships.) I like to joke that in an effort to cut costs, Gerry wanted to get rid of the lobster tails, but marketing nixed that. So he tried to get rid of shrimp cocktails and a revolt on John Heald's facebook page ensued. So he cut the cocktail pianist instead. If he could have just gotten those lobster tails, the Calypso duo might have been saved! LOL (in a very sad way).

On a happier note for us piano bar fans, it seems that piano bar is one of the safer jobs on the ship. Thank goodness for that dedicated room with a big ol' piano installed right in the middle of it!

And we do have plenty of talent out there, Brad Alexander, Ron Pass, Greg Gallello (if he returns), Barry Miller, Russell Villarin, Michael Smith, Rob Crucilla. And among the newer (to Carnival) folks, Dave Filsinger, Marty Gast, Adam Saxe, "Piano Bar Bob" Berhalter, Pollyanna Jones, Seth Gibson and Frank Glenn have all garnered really great reviews.

And I know I'm missing some, so chin up! Keep talking about the piano bars loud and long to anyone at Carnival who will listen. I think the more people talk about them and the more often we remind Carnival on public forums like John Heald's Facebook page, the safer (and hopefully better) the piano bars will be!

Happy cruising!

Laura

I've only ever heard of one entertainer being let go because he wasn't generating enough revenue (and I still think it was a BS excuse). As long as they have a body to put at the piano who shows up when they are supposed to and doesn't get caught breaking the rules, it's considered a job well done.

Frankly, it seems that if Gerry Cahill has his way there would be no more live music on the ships (a fact that will become more obvious as the Funship 2.0 upgrades go into effect on more ships.) I like to joke that in an effort to cut costs, Gerry wanted to get rid of the lobster tails, but marketing nixed that. So he tried to get rid of shrimp cocktails and a revolt on John Heald's facebook page ensued. So he cut the cocktail pianist instead. If he could have just gotten those lobster tails, the Calypso duo might have been saved! LOL (in a very sad way).

On a happier note for us piano bar fans, it seems that piano bar is one of the safer jobs on the ship. Thank goodness for that dedicated room with a big ol' piano installed right in the middle of it!

And we do have plenty of talent out there, Brad Alexander, Ron Pass, Greg Gallello (if he returns), Barry Miller, Russell Villarin, Michael Smith, Rob Crucilla. And among the newer (to Carnival) folks, Dave Filsinger, Marty Gast, Adam Saxe, "Piano Bar Bob" Berhalter, Pollyanna Jones, Seth Gibson and Frank Glenn have all garnered really great reviews.

And I know I'm missing some, so chin up! Keep talking about the piano bars loud and long to anyone at Carnival who will listen. I think the more people talk about them and the more often we remind Carnival on public forums like John Heald's Facebook page, the safer (and hopefully better) the piano bars will be!

Happy cruising!

Laura

The shrimp cocktail revolt didn't bring back the daily shrimp cocktail :(

Anyone know how Del Woodman is? I will be on the pride 1/1/2012 and he is scheduled to be on htere. Keeping fingers crossed!

This will be Del's first piano bar contract with Carnival. He's previously worked on Carnival ships as a piano/guitar soloist. Another of the Piano Bar guys told me about him and spoke very highly of him.

Just a heads up, I got a note from Del the other day that Carnival may be changing his ship. It's not a done deal, which is why I have not updated the list yet.

If you do get to cruise with him, I look forward to your review!

Happy cruising,

Laura

Edited by divetrash

I found this posting from him on Face Book today, just tragic.

Michael Smith

I've had this account for a couple years and this is the first time I've posted anything. My son Andrew was in an accident Halloween night and died. If you are someone who prays, please pray for him-if not just send out a kind thought. I've received so much love and support over the last few days from family and friends. God bless all of them-God bless all of you.

I found this posting from him on Face Book today, just tragic.

Michael Smith

I've had this account for a couple years and this is the first time I've posted anything. My son Andrew was in an accident Halloween night and died. If you are someone who prays, please pray for him-if not just send out a kind thought. I've received so much love and support over the last few days from family and friends. God bless all of them-God bless all of you.

Yeah I saw that today. Very very sad. He's such a nice guy. I feel for him.

I wish him and his family well.

Laura

PS - That also explains the discrepancy between my list and JH's.

Conquest: Larry McConaghy 9/12/2011 - 3/4/2012

Destiny:Rob Crucilla current - 2/20/2012

Dream: Dave Filsinger 9/3/2011 - 3/3/2012

Ecstasy: Frank Glenn 9/22/2011 - 3/22/2012

Elation: Tom Grable 11/05/2011 - 5/5/2012

Fantasy: Hrvoje "H" Knezevic 7/16/2011 - 11/28/2011

Fascination: Milburn Dumas 10/1/2011- 3/31/2012

Freedom: Marty Gast 8/21/2011 - 1/14/2012

Glory: Tom Riccio 8/27/2011 - 2/26/2012

Imagination: Dana Honey 11/4/2011 - 4/2/2012

Inspiration: Jafar Curry 7/10/2011 - 12/3/2011

Inspiration: Seth Gibson 12/3/2011 - 6/??/2012

Legend: Pollyanna Jones 10/9/2011 - 1/15/2012

Liberty: "Piano Bar Bob" Berhalter 10/22/2011 - 2/25/2012

Magic: Ron Pass 10/28/2011 - 12/4/2011 www.ronpass.com

Miracle: Peter Brenner 9/11/2011 - 1/13/2012

Paradise: Richard Yerkes current - 12/12/2011

Pride: James Quigley 7/31/2011 - 12/4/2011

Pride: Del Woodman 12/4/2011 - ???

Sensation: Barry Miller 9/1/2011 - 1/26/2012

Spirit: Keith Turner 7/19/2011 - 1/6/2012

Splendor: James "Jim" Morris 10/30/2011- 1/15/2012

Triumph: Lorraine Ingle 10/24/2011 -2/23/2012 www.lorraineingle.com

Valor: Brad Alexander 9/18/2011 - 12/11/2011 www.bradalexanderonline.com

Victory: Jerry Seelix 9/3/2011 - 1/22/2012

*** A note about this list: This list is compiled from reports and reviews of current cruisers and reports from the entertainers themselves. There is no guarantee of accuracy. An actual date usually means that the schedule has been confirmed by either the performer or someone inside Carnival. Schedules are subject to change. Also, this list is updated very regularly, so if it's not on the list, we probably don't know it.

(a fact that will become more obvious as the Funship 2.0 upgrades go into effect on more ships.)

glad you guys caught onto that aspect...

On a happier note for us piano bar fans, it seems that piano bar is one of the safer jobs on the ship.

my thinking exactly. Right now I'm being kept relatively happy with spending short amounts of time on ships... but I still plan on switching at some point

It is pretty ridiculous how last minute some things are...

Okay, Del Woodman's ship switch has been confirmed, oh and he goes by Del Clark professionally so, I'll update that too!

Paradise: Del Clark 12/12/2011 - ???

*** A note about this list: This list is compiled from reports and reviews of current cruisers and reports from the entertainers themselves. There is no guarantee of accuracy. An actual date usually means that the schedule has been confirmed by either the performer or someone inside Carnival. Schedules are subject to change. Also, this list is updated very regularly, so if it's not on the list, we probably don't know it.

Okay, Del Woodman's ship switch has been confirmed, oh and he goes by Del Clark professionally so, I'll update that too!

Well stil keeping fingers crossed for a good piano bar entertainer for the Pride leaving Jan. 1. I guess I will keep checking in for updates. Thank you for this thread bythe way!

Certainly not the one currently on the Freedom. ZERO personality and not the best in playing.

You certainly couldn't be talking about Marty Gast...there is no way you could say that man has no personality!

We just got back from the Freedom, and for the first time since Damien Brell was on Destiny in 2008, we thoroughly enjoyed the piano bar! Marty was awesome! Lively and very funny, and knew most requests. He doesn't like to do much of the really slow, sad stuff, so the PB stays rocking! We loved him, as did many others...the place was crowded every nite!:D He actually used to play for Carnival some years ago. Met his wife on the Ecstasy, and she happens to be a singer, so they ended up going off on their own and performing together for the last 8 years or so. He came back to Carnival because she needs to take a break from singing for awhile. So not sure how long he'll be with Carnival...hope you get a chance to see him while he's here!:)

You certainly couldn't be talking about Marty Gast...there is no way you could say that man has no personality!

I just looked at my Fun Times. I retract what I said cause the guy we heard was NOT Marty Gast. I love GOOD piano music and was so turned off with the one playing that I never went into the piano bar. No smiles, no interaction with guests, read EVERY piece of his music off his Kindle or whatever the electronic device was, and I didn't think the actual piano playing was all that great. Reckon I'll have to try and hear Marty Gast in the future.

I just looked at my Fun Times. I retract what I said cause the guy we heard was NOT Marty Gast. I love GOOD piano music and was so turned off with the one playing that I never went into the piano bar. No smiles, no interaction with guests, read EVERY piece of his music off his Kindle or whatever the electronic device was, and I didn't think the actual piano playing was all that great. Reckon I'll have to try and hear Marty Gast in the future.

Oh good! I couldn't figure out how Marty ever gave the impression of no personality! LOL! He was pretty crazy! If you get a chance to sail with him, I don't think you will be disappointed;):)

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I know that I'm thankful that the Carnival Piano Bars are still alive and kicking.

Just got an update for the Fantasy.

Fantasy: Jordan Heppner 12/3/2011 - 5/4/2012

Paradise: Del Clark 12/12/2011 - ???