Need ideas! Quick!!

vickster6k

Need help with costume & door decorating ideas!!

We are booked on the Kiss Kruise on the Carnival Destiny, October 13. During the cruise, they are having a halloween party & costume contest. It says to wear " your scariest, most ridiculous, or over the top costume". DH & I will be going with our 22 yr old DD, 18 yr old DS & 3 yr old DD. Not sure if our costumes should coordinate or everyone be unique. We had thoughts of movie cast, music groups etc. I also thought of just the 4 adults dressing alike and let the baby be a princess. I just know I need to figure it out QUICK, and I don't want to spend a fortune! Any ideas you might have for easy, CHEAP fun costumes would be GREAT!!

I also just found out they are having a door decorating contest. I have no idea what to do!! Any ideas? I used to use paint shop pro for graphics but just got adobe photoshop and haven't figured it out yet. Wish I could figure out how to take a picture of the Carnival Destiny and add 'wet wild & rockin Kiss Kruise' to it and put the members of kiss on deck. Or try to make an insignia for Kiss Navy. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Also, do magnets stick to the doors???

THANKS!

Vicky

It wouldn't be scary, but you could do characters from wizard of oz. Dorothy costume is easy to put together, tin wood man you can use silver make up, get a plastic milk jug - cut a face hole out where the handle is & spray paint the whole thing silver. Or you can get a plastic oil funnel, spray paint it silver & poke holes to make an elastic chin strap. But then you need to spray the hair silver that shows - unless it's already that color! Not sure how elaborate you'd want to be for the rest of tin woodman, but silver / metallic clothes would be perfect. You might be able to get away with spray painting old clothes you don't care about silver.

Scarecrow would be easy, just old clothes with decorative patches sewn on, some hay to stick out the shirt sleeve cuffs. Wicked witch / Elphaba would be easy, Toto, cowardly lion lots more work.

Or Peter Pan characters - Wendy, Smee & Captain Hook are pretty simple to make a costume for - mainly need a hat for Hook & draw on a curly moustache. Tinkerbell or Peter Pan would need more of a real costume.

If you want kind of scary - you could be characters from the Munsters or the Adams Family, or Nightmare before Christmas.

I don't know anything about door decorations, but I've heard the doors are metallic so magnets should work. I don't know if this true on every Carnival ship. I might be inclined though to either do the costumes or the door decorations - if you aren't used to doing either one I think taking both on would be a lot.

Not scary at all but a great group costume. Got colored T-shirts and put an M, as in M&M's. We wore black shorts/pants and white gloves. We came in second to a guy who was a windblown tourist. He was awesome; sprayed his hair to look like the wind had whipped it up, put wire in his tie to make it look like it was blowing in the wind...he came swirling into the venue and ran away with the prize...a ship on a stick!

I would get a cheap white shower curtain and staple it so that it fits over the door, then decorate it with red paint so that it looks like it has blood and bloody handprints on it. Secure it to your cabin door with magnets. Or you can buy this premade here:

http://www.spirithalloween.com/decor_window-wall-cling-decorations/

It might be cute to add a body part such as a hand or something. Or there are lots of other door decor ideas at the above website which are very inexpensive. I just think the shower curtain would be cute since you are going to be on a cruise ship.

For the costumes, have you thought about:

Angry Birds

http://www.spirithalloween.com/costumes_group-and-couple-costumes_video-game-costumes/

There is even an Angry Birds King Pig infant costume

You could all go dressed as dice as well and dress up the baby as a "high roller" with a blonde wig and sunglasses and sequined top.

The whole family could dress up as elderly aggressive complaining cruisers - you know the type: fanny packs, warm up suits, grey wigs, fake wrinkles and canes and then act really obnonxious and tell people to get out of your way, take up the whole hall and walk slow, complain loudly about everything - make up crazy stuff to complain about - for example how bad your view is from your cabin, that the ship is going too fast - you can get all sorts of crazy ideas from Cruise Critic threads and just generally behave in a very cranky manner.

And you all are packing this in your suitcase, I hope you all aren't flying in for the cruise..:confused:

Oh please add pictures after the cruise, not only of the costumes and your door deco but of your suitcases with all this stuff in it..LOL

But have a great cruise it should be a fun cruise..

Whatever you plan just remember NO TOY weapons .. like pirate swords.

“Frightfully Fun”!

Halloween is always a fun and memorable time aboard a Carnival ship. Guests can enjoy a variety of fun-filled activities, everything from costume contests and Halloween-themed giveaways to scary movies, and, of course, trick or treating with candies. Children and adults are encouraged to bring costumes so they can compete for a variety of prizes during the always-interesting costume contest and parade. Carnival crew members will be dressed in costume, as well, and guests can have their photos taken with Carnival’s own “Fun Ship” Freddy. Guests ages one to 14 are also invited to go trick or treating along the ships’ promenades and through various public rooms and areas, stocking up on candies.

Note: Please note that we do not allow any toy or imitation weapons of any kind onboard any of our ships.

Whatever you plan just remember NO TOY weapons .. like pirate swords.

“Frightfully Fun”!

Halloween is always a fun and memorable time aboard a Carnival ship. Guests can enjoy a variety of fun-filled activities, everything from costume contests and Halloween-themed giveaways to scary movies, and, of course, trick or treating with candies. Children and adults are encouraged to bring costumes so they can compete for a variety of prizes during the always-interesting costume contest and parade. Carnival crew members will be dressed in costume, as well, and guests can have their photos taken with Carnival’s own “Fun Ship” Freddy. Guests ages one to 14 are also invited to go trick or treating along the ships’ promenades and through various public rooms and areas, stocking up on candies.

Note: Please note that we do not allow any toy or imitation weapons of any kind onboard any of our ships.

I'm not a fan of weapons, real or toy, but they sure do make an exception for their own fake (I hope they're fake!) machete's or swords they use in the cheesy pirate photos.

Archived