If you could do ONE thing in a Med/Black Sea port.....???

Kween Karen

I have never been to Europe. I will be going on the Prinsendam in March.....we cover MANY Med and Black Sea ports....the usual and some unusual. This is the itinerary:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=W&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&pageNumber=1&sourceName=byRegion&directionCode=M&voyageCode=P215&webItineraryIdForAudit=WMW262

If you could only do one thing in these ports......What would it be?? I want to see the highlights and am currently planning my shore time.

One thing in each port? Or one thing that stands out among all the ports on your cruise?

BTW congrats -- this will be a great intro to Europe, and you're going at a great time. :D

One thing in each port? Or one thing that stands out among all the ports on your cruise?

BTW congrats -- this will be a great intro to Europe, and you're going at a great time. :D

One thing in the ports that really stood out......that will help me with my "can't be missed" list!!

We think Naples itself is very underrated. You can easily get to the heart of this vibrant city on your own from the port - walk to the left and into the Palazzo Real direction - one of the best palaces we have visited and then up the closed off pedestrian walking streets to find elegant shopping, markets and cafes in Via Chiaia area - take a funicular from Piazza Amadeo to Vomero and the hilltop views and markets there and then a walk back down from the Fortress through the Spanish Quarter and Spaccanapoli for a fabulous survey of this very real Italian city.

Additionally, the one hour hydrofoil to Procida from the Naples port is much smaller and far less tourist impacted than Capri for a very charming little soujourn to on of the Naples Bay Islands. Public transportation in Naples is also very good with a little planning ahead of time to take you around to its important sites. Procida is the home of Limoncello and picturesque harbors that have often been chosen for movie sets. If it is open in the season, Scarabeo restaurant ourdoors under its vast lemon arbor is a treat in itself.

Yes, the city can be "dirty" and gritty and chaotic, but it has shed its old crime-ridden image, polished up its many incredible architectural gems, made many streets in the heart of its old center pedestrian friendly. Armed with a good guidebook about the Top 10 things to see and do in Naples, this is a city that opens its arms and welcomes those who are looking for more authenticity than idealized views of Italian city life.

Naples is one city that looks grimmer at its edges than it is in its heart - too much WWII bombing near the port left ugly masses of post-war reconstruction which do not endear it upon first sight at arrival.

Again, I shall recommend Rick Steves "Mediterranean Cruise Ports" for a far more affectionate view of Naples as well, than most think about when they first see it. (Or continue to hear about - we have visited Naples often and any cruise that includes Naples has our name on it so with a little time and penetration of this city, there are wonderful charms to unveil.)

Good book about Naples role in world history is "From Salt Water to Holy Water" because Naples was the center of the cultured world until the mid 19th Century and the remnants of this grand era remain for those who choose to explore it in more depth.

Spend as much time in Venice just wandering... Its true - its almost impossible to get lost!

Agree, just look up at the corners of buildings and you will see arrows pointing to major orientation sites like the trains station (stazione ferrovia) or St Marks (San Marco) Square or Accadamia (University area) and that puts you back on track.

I have not been to most of those ports, but I have been to a few. I'm a history/architecture buff so these sights might not interest you. I'm not much of a shopper so I don't look for any high-end shops, although I will look around small shops for local goods. I like small, painted tiles with local scenery or hand-painted shot glasses, if I can find them.

Kusadasi - Visit Ephesus. The ruins are amazing. The theater where Paul preached to the Ephesians is still there and (when I visited) you can walk through it.

Piraeus - Vist the Acropolis in Athens. Again, fantastic ruins and the Temple of Nike is beautiful. The Acropolis is above Athens so you can see the whole city.

Santorini - Visit a black sand beach. I wish I could remember the name of the one we stopped at. Beautiful and so different than the Caribbean. Just walking around in Oia or Thira is wonderful - so many cute shops and architecture. BUY SOME BAKLAVA!!!!!

Venice - Definintely St. Mark's (San Marco) and Doge's Palace. The gondola rides are nice, but be prepared to PAY for them! $$$

Toarmina - Just walking around was fun.

Sorrento - Visit Pompeii

Rome - Hard to pick! Probably Vatican City to see the Sistine Chapel. If not, then the Colesseum. I had a tour that stopped on one of the seven hills so we had a fabulous view overlooking Rome.

Barcelona - Another tough one! Either La Sagrada Familia Church or walk around in the Gothic Quarter. If you go through the Gothic Quarter, have some paella for lunch. Yummy!

Valetta - Hypogeum

Venice - San Marco of course but als Murano

Kusadasi - Ephesus including the Terrace House

Istanbul - Haga Sophia

Sorrento - Pompeii, Capri

Odessa - the Opera House

Thira - Oia

Barcelona - Sagrada Familia

Sete - Montpellier

Piraeus - Acropolis, Plaka

Lisbon - Fatima

Fort Lauderdale -Ross Dress for Less (oops how did that get in there):D:D

Valetta - Hypogeum

Venice - San Marco of course but als Murano

Kusadasi - Ephesus including the Terrace House

Istanbul - Haga Sophia

Sorrento - Pompeii, Capri

Odessa - the Opera House

Thira - Oia

Barcelona - Sagrada Familia

Sete - Montpellier

Piraeus - Acropolis, Plaka

Lisbon - Fatima

Fort Lauderdale -Ross Dress for Less (oops how did that get in there):D:D

Thank you....nice list....even a bit of humor!!

Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.

If you get a chance, please read about this incredible, unique building before you get there. Unique use of domes, and half domes.

Some building materials included columns taken from the Temple of Artemis in Ephesus.

Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.

If you get a chance, please read about this incredible, unique building before you get there. Unique use of domes, and half domes.

Some building materials included columns taken from the Temple of Artemis in Ephesus.

Also the Blue Mosque and Grand Bazaar

I have not been to most of those ports, but I have been to a few. I'm a history/architecture buff so these sights might not interest you. I'm not much of a shopper so I don't look for any high-end shops, although I will look around small shops for local goods. I like small, painted tiles with local scenery or hand-painted shot glasses, if I can find them.

Kusadasi - Visit Ephesus. The ruins are amazing. The theater where Paul preached to the Ephesians is still there and (when I visited) you can walk through it.

Piraeus - Vist the Acropolis in Athens. Again, fantastic ruins and the Temple of Nike is beautiful. The Acropolis is above Athens so you can see the whole city.

Santorini - Visit a black sand beach. I wish I could remember the name of the one we stopped at. Beautiful and so different than the Caribbean. Just walking around in Oia or Thira is wonderful - so many cute shops and architecture. BUY SOME BAKLAVA!!!!!

Venice - Definintely St. Mark's (San Marco) and Doge's Palace. The gondola rides are nice, but be prepared to PAY for them! $$$

Toarmina - Just walking around was fun.

Sorrento - Visit Pompeii

Rome - Hard to pick! Probably Vatican City to see the Sistine Chapel. If not, then the Colesseum. I had a tour that stopped on one of the seven hills so we had a fabulous view overlooking Rome.

Barcelona - Another tough one! Either La Sagrada Familia Church or walk around in the Gothic Quarter. If you go through the Gothic Quarter, have some paella for lunch. Yummy!

Another great and helpful list...thanks again.

Agreed about Venice (wandering), Istanbul (Haghia Sophia), and Santorini (Oia). I'll add:

Barcelona -- La Boqueria market. A great one. It's in the Gothic Quarter so that's covered, too.

Lisbon -- Belem (the monastery, the Tower, and the Pasteis de Belem).

Athens -- Acropolis, toured first thing in the morning and seen from below at night.

Rome -- Colosseum would be my "can't miss"... but there are many.

Madeira -- towns and scenery on the north coast.

Luckily, you've got overnight stays in many of these places. Still so much to see and do! :D

I guess I can't say thanks to everyone....so here is a global thanks for all that has been posted and that is yet to be.

I have contacted a couple in Instanbul (highly recommended) about a tour there. They offer a walking tour or (for a lotmore money of course) a van. I am thinking we can cover a lot of ground there by walking....am I correct??

I have contacted a couple in Instanbul (highly recommended) about a tour there. They offer a walking tour or (for a lotmore money of course) a van. I am thinking we can cover a lot of ground there by walking....am I correct??

Istanbul is a very tourist friendly city. Most of the 'must do' sites are in Sultanahmet and can be walked to very easily. The public transit is great if you choose to visit some of the palaces on the other side of the horn as well.

Everyone speaks English, things are well organized, and the people are extremely friendly. I would save your turkish lira for other things....

Istanbul is a very tourist friendly city. Most of the 'must do' sites are in Sultanahmet and can be walked to very easily. The public transit is great if you choose to visit some of the palaces on the other side of the horn as well.

Everyone speaks English, things are well organized, and the people are extremely friendly. I would save your turkish lira for other things....

And we are there for 3 days...should be able to cover a lot in that length of time.

Twin Anchors,

Thank you for providing the beach name for Santorini. Hubby & I will be back in Santorini next September on a cruise. We thought we'd stop by the beach again for a couple hours then spend some time in Oia. I couldn't remember the name and was thinking that I needed to go through my scrapbook from my 2005 Med cruise to find it.

This is really helpful. I have booked a private tour to Ephesus. I was THINKING of just doing Venice on my own....but not sure if it is adviseable. I do not stop in Naples......the closest I get there is Sorrento.

Venice on your own is even better - you can follow your own imagination at every corner, instead of negotiating every which way to explore with someone else.

Lived close by Venice once and went there often - love to explore/wander this city on my own. Put on your walking shoes and just get back before the ship leaves is the best advice for Venice -- and that it will cost you $50-75 dollars to enjoy an ice cream in Saint Mark's square when the music is playing, and it is worth every penny!

The further you wander away from the main tourist routes, the better. Just keep looking for those direction sign plaques on the walls and you know eventually you will get to a central spot where you can catch the main vaparetto (water bus) lines to get you back to the port.

Also the Blue Mosque and Grand Bazaar

And the Spice Market ..... and eating your way around Istanbul, especially on the pedestrian side streets off Taksim Square on the other side of Istanbul across the pontoon bridge. It is one of the world's grand cuisines. Felt very safe and friendly - no problem with the street food that was hot.

Archived