Bringing BOXED wine onboard and paying corkage fee - Can it be done?

rmartin1286

I've searched for a thread that has a clear answer on the matter of bringing boxed wine onboard but can't find any straight answers. I am NOT sneaking it in, I want to bring it in my carry-on bag when I get on the ship, pay the corkage fee, and bring it to my room to use throughout the cruise.

Can you pay the corkage fee for boxed wine? Do they even allow you to bring it on, even if you were willing to pay the corkage fee? Has anyone ever done it before? Experiences in doing this would be great as I've seen really no definite answer as to whether NCL allows you to pay the corkage fee for boxed wine and bring it onboard with you.

I hope the answer is yes as I just bought a box of it thinking that it was allowed, then when I search this thread no one seems to know or the answers on the thread are bashing those who want to sneak it onboard, sometimes even when they clearly state that they are willing to pay the corkage fee.

I've searched for a thread that has a clear answer on the matter of bringing boxed wine onboard but can't find any straight answers. I am NOT sneaking it in, I want to bring it in my carry-on bag when I get on the ship, pay the corkage fee, and bring it to my room to use throughout the cruise.

Can you pay the corkage fee for boxed wine? Do they even allow you to bring it on, even if you were willing to pay the corkage fee? Has anyone ever done it before? Experiences in doing this would be great as I've seen really no definite answer as to whether NCL allows you to pay the corkage fee for boxed wine and bring it onboard with you.

I hope the answer is yes as I just bought a box of it thinking that it was allowed, then when I search this thread no one seems to know or the answers on the thread are bashing those who want to sneak it onboard, sometimes even when they clearly state that they are willing to pay the corkage fee.

No you can't according to NCL:

http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n28635

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests are allowed to bring wine or champagne onboard. These will be subject to a $15 corkage fee regardless of size.

Wines that are not featured on NCL's wine lists are subject to the corkage fee including wine sent directly to the ship by Travel Agents, friends, family, from another retail source, etc. The bottle will have a sticker or stamp placed on it showing that the fee was paid, and that the guest will be allowed to have the product onboard. This fee will be charged to the guest’s onboard account. Wines that come in boxes are not allowed onboard.

I understand that it is not allowed by NCL, but I have seen several posts where people have said they have paid the corkage fee for boxed wine and took it on board with them. I wonder if this is one of those "each port authority worker is different" situations where some allow it to be done and some don't.

I understand that it is not allowed by NCL, but I have seen several posts where people have said they have paid the corkage fee for boxed wine and took it on board with them. I wonder if this is one of those "each port authority worker is different" situations where some allow it to be done and some don't.

You asked for a "definite answer" and that answer is that NCL does NOT allow you to bring boxed wine on board.

Period. It doesn't matter if you are willing or not to pay the corkage fee.

If other folks brought it on, they ignored the rules and then subsequently got lucky that it wasn't confiscated.

OK, New Orleans last year, at check in through security. Either throw it away or give it to someone that's not getting on. You can't take it on. Unlimited bottles are allowed for $15 each. As stated, someone might have gotten lucky along the way. Your choice, but once your in security, I don't think you want to go back out to put it away and then get back in line and start again.

Most definitive answer I can give you, others may have a different experience.

In Boston two weeks ago a lot of interesting items were being allowed to come through with the corkage fee--including boxed wine and bottles of spirits (definitely NOT wine). Depending on how much you value your box of wine--if you're willing to ditch it if they won't let you-- or you can check it and get it at the end of the cruise--then you can go ahead and try. They were extremely nice assisting everyone. Now that does not mean that that is the way it will be in another port or even in Boston next week.

You asked for a "definite answer" and that answer is that NCL does NOT allow you to bring boxed wine on board.

Period. It doesn't matter if you are willing or not to pay the corkage fee.

If other folks brought it on, they ignored the rules and then subsequently got lucky that it wasn't confiscated.

Yes, and I had established that when I asked the follow-up question to the initial one I asked in this thread. But back to what I was getting at, I was looking for experiences of those who in the past had been able to pay the corkage fee for boxed wine OR been told they could take it back to their car or have NCL hold it until the end of the cruise because boxed wine was not allowed.

Yes, and I had established that when I asked the follow-up question to the initial one I asked in this thread. But back to what I was getting at, I was looking for experiences of those who in the past had been able to pay the corkage fee for boxed wine OR been told they could take it back to their car or have NCL hold it until the end of the cruise because boxed wine was not allowed.

You know it is not allowed, yet you are still going to take it with you? <shaking head>

If they don't let you pay the fee, it is my understanding that they will hold it until the last night when you can get it back. But like I said, regardless of what they say, on two separate cruises I have seen them actually allowing the fee to be paid on a vairety of alcohol--not wine. But you cannot count of that. But in my experience boxed wine is not that incredibly expensive. If it gets taken, then perhaps that is okay. Or let them tag it and take it back on the last night of the cruise.

Your question is a very reasonable one--you are willing to pay the fee--my guess is that you like a particular kind of wine.

I've searched for a thread that has a clear answer on the matter of bringing boxed wine onboard but can't find any straight answers.

You can't find a "straight answer" because there is only one fact and that it is against NCL's rules. Everything else you will find is those that have or haven't gotten away with breaking the rules with or without consequences. For example: people exceeding the posted speed limit. Some will get a fine, some will get a warning, some will get away with, some won't get caught. Exactly the same here some have got it confiscated, some have got to pay corkage fee, some have been given a "look the other way" and some have snuck it through.

Has anyone ever done it before?

Yes they have.

bashing those who want to sneak it onboard, sometimes even when they clearly state that they are willing to pay the corkage fee

Willing to pay the corkage fee or not is not an option for boxed wine. Which brings us back to the top answer.

But back to what I was getting at, I was looking for experiences of those who in the past had been able to pay the corkage fee for boxed wine OR been told they could take it back to their car or have NCL hold it until the end of the cruise because boxed wine was not allowed.

You already stated that you have already read "several posts where people have paid the corkage fee for boxed wine and took it on board with them"

I guess you already have your experiences then. Which again brings us back to my first paragraph.

You know it is not allowed, yet you are still going to take it with you? <shaking head>

Sigh. I was asking for experiences of people who were allowed to take boxed wine on the ship after paying a corkage fee for it, not for a morals lesson. It WOULD be allowed if they let you pay a corkage fee for it, as I've seen a few posts from people who were allowed to take it on with them. See post 18 in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1478703&highlight=boxed+wine

You can't find a "straight answer" because there is only one fact and that it is against NCL's rules. Everything else you will find is those that have or haven't gotten away with breaking the rules with or without consequences. For example: people exceeding the posted speed limit. Some will get a fine, some will get a warning, some will get away with, some won't get caught. Exactly the same here some have got it confiscated, some have got to pay corkage fee, some have been given a "look the other way" and some have snuck it through.

Yes they have.

Willing to pay the corkage fee or not is not an option for boxed wine. Which brings us back to the top answer.

You already stated that you have already read "several posts where people have paid the corkage fee for boxed wine and took it on board with them"

I guess you already have your experiences then. Which again brings us back to my first paragraph.

I asked a simple question, when it was answered I asked another. Perhaps you like to be snide to people on this board because you feel like you have a lot of posts and that entitles you to be rude, but it doesn't. Don't worry about it, I'll find my information elsewhere.

Thank you to everyone who replied with information that was useful.

Sigh. I was asking for experiences of people who were allowed to take boxed wine on the ship after paying a corkage fee for it, not for a morals lesson. It WOULD be allowed if they let you pay a corkage fee for it, as I've seen a few posts from people who were allowed to take it on with them. See post 18 in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1478703&highlight=boxed+wine

So someone put it in their suitcase, and it wasn't detected, and they brought it on. Not only did they break the "no boxed wine" rule, they also didn't pay a corkage charge.

They got away with it - good for them. You don't want people to point out to you that intentionally breaking a rule is a morals issue, but then you emphasize this in another post?

They weren't "allowed" to bring it on - the x-ray folks likely didn't see it since they are x-raying thousands and thousands of bags and trying to get cruise passengers on the ship as smoothly and as quickly as possible.

Post after post, thread after thread, of people trying to find ways to break the wine or liquor rules..... How ridiculous is this?

Just buy a couple of bottles of wine and stop trying to find ways to break the rules. If you can't or don't want to live by the NCL rules, find another cruiseline.

No. That post indicated that the wine was shown and it was allowed to go through. Just as I have observed on two different cruises--most notably two weeks ago. So it is allowed. But it may not always be. In that example "Ms. Belp" was not trying to hide it or keep it from being detected. Nor was this OP.

I asked a simple question, when it was answered I asked another. Perhaps you like to be snide to people on this board because you feel like you have a lot of posts and that entitles you to be rude, but it doesn't. Don't worry about it, I'll find my information elsewhere.

Thank you to everyone who replied with information that was useful.

Skip it

Please give it up. They are trying to tell you that it depends on the ship, security, etc. There is NO SET ANSWER. We always took ours on with no problem after declaring it. But that doesn't mean it will work for you, or the next person or the next cruise. Do what you want. You've asked and we've responded.

Archived