deposit games

DiploTraveler

So, I've been thinking...

For my two cruises, I was charged $250pp (max $700 per stateroom) as a deposit. Since the deposit is per person, what's keeping you from only putting one name down for a room to essentially halve (or more) your deposit and then add the 2nd, 3rd, etc. just before final payment? Is there a minimum deposit?

So, I've been thinking...

For my two cruises, I was charged $250pp (max $700 per stateroom) as a deposit. Since the deposit is per person, what's keeping you from only putting one name down for a room to essentially halve (or more) your deposit and then add the 2nd, 3rd, etc. just before final payment? Is there a minimum deposit?

I think you probably meant $350 PP :D Actually you can do this and several do but if my chance the sailing sells quickly which is very rare. They could tell you that they can no longer add the second person to the cabin but that might only happen on a unique Prinsendam sailing. Holland America offers reduced deposits many times thru the year thru Travel Agents and the deposit is only $100 PP for a 7 day cruise many people wait for these if they do not have future cruise deposits. When HAL offers the reduced deposit along with it they alos have their On Board Value Coupon Book. Right now HAL is offering thru the 21st the reduced deposit. BTW HAL nevercharges a deposit for 3rd and 4th passenger like Carnival and RCI does ;)

Since cabins are priced on a double occupancy basis, it is possible you'll be charged a double-deposit. It is also possible that if the ship reaches capacity, that you will not be able to add another person to your cabin (e.g., HAL books a lot a triples and quads). It's also possible hat the fare for the added passenger or even for the cabin could be increased as you're making a change to the reservation.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say, especially our TA friends.

Since cabins are priced on a double occupancy basis, it is possible you'll be charged a double-deposit.

When you book a cabin as a single, you deposit as a single. You may be charged double fare as a single supplement, but the deposit is not doubled.

We ran out of the $100 deposits one time -- waited until our TA had one of those specials where you needed to put down only $100 deposit -- did not get any shipboard credit -- and the deposit was non-refundable.

It is actually quite rare that HAL's $100.00 deposit is non refundable. This year for 2011 there has not been one time that it was non-refundable, now Princess has had several but not HAL.

Sail, no there is not Ship Board Credit but there is always the On Board Value Coupon Book :D

Does anyone know if the reduced deposit currently offered would apply to the 11 night Panama Canal cruise on Zuiderdam on November 2012? If not, what would the usual deposit amount be for that length cruise? TIA

Current deposit for the 11 Night Zuiderdam November 19, 2012 is $200.00 per person with a max of $400.00 for the cabin.

Current deposit for the 11 Night Zuiderdam November 19, 2012 is $200.00 per person with a max of $400.00 for the cabin.

Lisa, your considerate responses to these types of inquires (for which you normally receive compensation) is indicative of your kind and giving nature. You are an asset to this board, and your profession. ;)

Archived