FBI Investigating Dead Newborn Found on Carnival Cruise Ship

LauraS

None of the reports say the baby was under the bed.

None of the reports say the mom was enjoying herself on an island. The reports say she was detained by the authorities in St. Martin. She could have been onboard and actually could have been in her room and the room steward heard something and investigated. Just saying. Nothing has been released to prove the baby was murdered. I want to hope that the baby was still born and the mother was in shock. She may have left the baby in the bed and began walking to the doctor's office. There are 100 maybes and this is the one I chose to believe since no evidence of foul play has been reported.

I was also confused coz I haven't read anything about the baby being under the bed. And I clicked on all the links on this post and search for articles myself. Same with the mother being onboard or not, the reports don't say that either.

However, reports do say that autopsy suggests that the baby died 1 to 3 days before it was found. So what did the mother do between time of death of the baby and the time it was discovered? She may be in shock as other people suggested, but I still find it hard to accept that as an excuse for not doing anything for at least 24 hours after the baby had died. Obviously the mother didn't report it to any of the cruise personnel because the baby wasn't discovered until at least 24 hours after.

Maybe I am just missing it, but where is everyone reading the lady didn't know she was pregnant? Or left the baby in the stateroom, etc? The articles I am seeing say basically nothing.

That's what I wondered? Nothing in the article says she didn't know she was pregnant. In fact, it doesn't say she gave birth on the ship.

That's what I wondered? Nothing in the article says she didn't know she was pregnant. In fact, it doesn't say she gave birth on the ship.

The USA Today article here:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/10/carnival-cruise-ship-dead-baby/554474/1

includes the sentence:

"A local St. Maarten news outlet, sxmislandtime.com, is reporting that the mother of the dead baby allegedly told local investigators that she did not know she was pregnant, and the birth of a child came as a surprise to her. "

The same article also states that the autopsy indicated that the baby died after the ship set sail from Florida, but before it reached St Thomas, so it's not a stretch to interpret that to mean that the birth was on board.

None of the reports say the baby was under the bed.

None of the reports say the mom was enjoying herself on an island. The reports say she was detained by the authorities in St. Martin. She could have been onboard and actually could have been in her room and the room steward heard something and investigated. Just saying. Nothing has been released to prove the baby was murdered. I want to hope that the baby was still born and the mother was in shock. She may have left the baby in the bed and began walking to the doctor's office. There are 100 maybes and this is the one I chose to believe since no evidence of foul play has been reported.

Actually a CC forum posters had started a thread before this ever hit the news media. It was last Wednesday in fact.

The OP of that thread .. which was pulled less than an hour after started because it was thought to be rumor .... has a Dream crew member on her FB. That crew member told her about the incident. The baby was indeed full term and found under the bed.

The mother told authorities that she did not know she was preggers and that the baby was born sometime between FL and St Thomas.

Based on what you are saying and what the mother told authorities the woman walked around looking for a doctor for 3 days before the baby was discovered.

Actually a CC forum posters had started a thread before this ever hit the news media. It was last Wednesday in fact.

The OP of that thread .. which was pulled less than an hour after started because it was thought to be rumor .... has a Dream crew member on her FB. That crew member told her about the incident. The baby was indeed full term and found under the bed.

The mother told authorities that she did not know she was preggers and that the baby was born sometime between FL and St Thomas.

Based on what you are saying and what the mother told authorities the woman walked around looking for a doctor for 3 days before the baby was discovered.

yes. it's a shame that poster was attacked, and that post was pulled.

well, apparently, she never watched macmillan and wife.
Now THAT is funny! She must be too young, because I think I saw every episode, and I agree - she would have gotten caught.

I miss Columbo, McMillian & Wife, and McCloud. Any one of them would have this mystery figured out by now. :D

i didn't realize it was so hard to find the ships doctor or sickbay

Has it occurred to you yet that CCL isn't going to release the cabin number so that don't have to deal with this type of attitude? Just let it go. You're better off not knowing.

I wish cruise critic would add "like" buttons as they have on facebook....cuz this would be a "like". I can't believe how irrational and superstitious some people are about the cabin #!!

how sad but I'm sorry. I've been pregnant twice and I still don't know how anyone wouldn't know they are pregnant. You feel like you have a little alien moving around inside of you, like nothing else you've ever felt. Even if you don't show a lot, how do you acount for the movement. I could see the movement on my stomach, not just feel it. I really have a heard time with this, I didn't know I was pregnant BS

denial is an amazing thing...yes hard to understand to most of us...but amazing

how sad but I'm sorry. I've been pregnant twice and I still don't know how anyone wouldn't know they are pregnant. You feel like you have a little alien moving around inside of you, like nothing else you've ever felt. Even if you don't show a lot, how do you acount for the movement. I could see the movement on my stomach, not just feel it. I really have a heard time with this, I didn't know I was pregnant BS

And you are going on the assumption that ALL pregnancies are text book, like yours. Every pregnancy is different, most not so much, but different none the less. These things do happen. Some are in denial, no doubt, and some, well are the anomoly. Not only can it happen, it does. Not your experience but then who gave you the golden key to what all pregnancies should be? Just because it didn't happen to YOU doesn't mean it can't happen. There are many things I've not seen, but history bears out that they did happen. So if I didn't 'see' it happen, does that mean that it didn't happen?

Archived