Help with RCI Australia upgrades/upsells

Just welcome to the world of getting ripped off in Australia. In the US they would not put up with the stuff we are expected to just accept. :mad:And the agents wonder why we book overseas at every opportunity...like I said before its not just about money its also booking conditions which are much more reasonable.

I think we are already seeing the effects on prices of the extra competition....YAY.:D

If the price drop is after final payment, usually 75-90 days before departure, we (US) don't get the price drop either. Since the sailing is in 40 days, we wouldn't have received the price drop either.

Also, if the ship is not filling up, the cruiselines will often run "flash" promotions that are only available for new bookings. Even if it is before final payment, the cruise line won't allow you to cancel and re-book at the lower rate. (Been there, tried that with no success)

If it is a "regular" sale, not restricted to new bookings, and before final payment, we can get the new sales price - Provided that you have been tracking the sales and make your TA aware of the price drop. It is not an automatic price adjustment.

I have heard all kinds of claims/statements about how things supposedly operate in the US regarding cruising. Some of them I have been and remain sceptical about - in spite of anecdotes quoted.

I find it very difficult to believe that any business - selling whatever goods or services - could (after finding that its product is not selling as well as they would like) arrange a "promotional or last minute" sale to sell additional product, while at the same time refund previous buyers the difference in price between the price they paid and the new price being offered.

It defies logic - it defies my understanding of business - it defies my imagination.

Barry

I can tell you it works in the US if you make your reservation and before final payment it drops, you do get the new price. We booked in April and in June the price went down by almost $700 pp and we got the new price. We also then paid less for insurance and other fees so altogether we saved a lot of money per person. However, the price again dropped after final payment and we could not do anything at that point, but we were much happier with the reduced price for the same cabin.

If you are not booking in peak season, the secret is to book well after final payment, when the cruise line knows how many cabins remain vacant.

An empty cabin is a perishable product, which has to be sold, hence last minute price reductions, as no cruise line wants to sail with empty cabins.

This is just one of the many reasons why I would never book a long time ahead.

I was reading a thread this morning which outlined some comparisons between Princess and RCL eg. You could only access cruise personaliser after your final payment and you also have to pay for shorec by CC beforehand.True for here or just o'seas cruises?

I can access my cruise personaliser for my RCL cruise in May and I haven't made final payment :confused:. That cruise is booked through a US TA though. However, you do need to pay for shorex by cc beforehand (which I just did on my Rhapsody NYE cruise). But you can cancel once on board and get a refund if you decide not to go (up to 24-48 hours before shorex).

I can access my cruise personaliser for my RCL cruise in May and I haven't made final payment :confused:. That cruise is booked through a US TA though. However, you do need to pay for shorex by cc beforehand (which I just did on my Rhapsody NYE cruise). But you can cancel once on board and get a refund if you decide not to go (up to 24-48 hours before shorex).

I can also access my Feb- March cruise and my final payment is'nt till next month,and it is booked through an Aussie agent, but found out after I had booked about the shore ex so cancelled them and will book when we get onboard, did'nt buy all these american dollars for nothing! Robin:)

Archived