Help with RCI Australia upgrades/upsells

In September, I booked a large interior cabin on the Rhapsody at a little over $2600 (AUD) for two people. I've been keeping an eye on prices that are being advertised, and today noticed that the ocean view cabin is being advertised at a little over $2300. Excitedly, I called RCI Australia and inquired as to whether we could upgrade to that cabin. Despite the cabin being advertised at LESS than what we've paid for the interior cabin, I was refused an upgrade on the concept that the advertised price is for "new bookings" and that they could offer me an upgrade for around $300, bringing the overall price paid to over $2900.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that RCI was happy enough to upgrade after a price drop after paying in full? Has anyone else experienced this "road bump" in terms of upgrading after a price drop?

With the amount of ocean view cabins that they currently have for sale, I find it ridiculous that they are refusing me an upgrade to an OV cabin which is currently listed at LESS than I paid for the interior cabin.

I'd love it if someone could shed some light on this matter.

(This has also been posted in the RCI forum, but I was forwarded here in the hopes that maybe I might be able to receive an RCI-Australia specific answer)

How long til you sail? You might be able to cancel your booking (penalty free) and make a new booking for the ocean view cabin at the lower price. Like I said, it depends on how long til you sail and what RCI's refund policy is.

How long til you sail? You might be able to cancel your booking (penalty free) and make a new booking for the ocean view cabin at the lower price. Like I said, it depends on how long til you sail and what RCI's refund policy is.

We're almost 40 days off sailing - at this stage it would cost over a grand just to cancel, so this method is definitely not worth it :(

Hmmm, that's not good news. :( I know it's not what you wanna hear, but if RCI weren't willing to help, you may be stuck where you are.

Yeah, and I'm not at all bothered by that. It's just confusing, seeing so many successful upgrades after price drops talked about here on CC, and then being told the complete opposite by the sales associate on the phone.

If it was a price for new bookings only, I'd really love to see the fine print that suggests that: However, there's nothing on the booking page that implies it's for new bookings only. Confusing!

Did you tell them that there's no mention of that on the booking page? Was there any sympathy from the phone operator what-so-ever? You could see if you're able to speak to a manager... (?)

No, I didn't mention that: Truthfully, I didn't think to look for that information until after calling. There was very little sympathy at all - in fact ,the phone operator was quite rude and continually interrupted me. Initially, she thought I was talking about upgrading to a guarantee, so I tried to correct her and she continually talked me down. When I finally explained what I was looking at, she claimed that she searched in her system and the only way I could upgrade was by paying the extra.

I was hoping to find a bit more info regarding people who have managed to upgrade in a similar situation in the past before pursuing it further. It'd be nice to have a bit of backup/evidence for my cause. heh.

Sarah, the US people get price drops but only up to final payment but us aussies have to cop it sweet.....maybe one day we'll get the same treatment

Well, that's a bitter disappointment! Nevermind. I suppose it was worth a try, anyway?

Fingers crossed that RCI Aus. changes their policies in the near future.

Just welcome to the world of getting ripped off in Australia. In the US they would not put up with the stuff we are expected to just accept. :mad:And the agents wonder why we book overseas at every opportunity...like I said before its not just about money its also booking conditions which are much more reasonable.

I think we are already seeing the effects on prices of the extra competition....YAY.:D

Just welcome to the world of getting ripped off in Australia. In the US they would not put up with the stuff we are expected to just accept. :mad:And the agents wonder why we book overseas at every opportunity...like I said before its not just about money its also booking conditions which are much more reasonable.

I think we are already seeing the effects on prices of the extra competition....YAY.:D

Agree 100%

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that RCI was happy enough to upgrade after a price drop after paying in full?

The comments I have read where people have had the advantage of a drop in price is where the cruiseline drops the price on a category of cabin before final payment date (for USA bookings only, to my knowledge). Your cruise is a bit over a month away so it appears that the cruiseline has a last-minute sale to fill empty cabins. It is possible this deal is for 'new bookings only'. In USA I don't believe you would be able to have your fare reduced or to more to a higher category of cabin.

The only way anyone can take advantage of these last minute prices is to wait until the last minute, but of course the specials only become available on a small number of cruises and they might not suit you. Here there is a special on the cruise you have already booked on, but it looks like you can't do anything about it.

I assume you were happy with the price when you booked. If so, just go on your cruise determined to have a great time and don't let this episode affect your enjoyment. Otherwise it will truly be wasted money.:D

I assume you were happy with the price when you booked. If so, just go on your cruise determined to have a great time and don't let this episode affect your enjoyment. Otherwise it will truly be wasted money.:D

Oh of course. I definitely wouldn't have booked if I wasn't happy with the price. I guess I just got my hopes up reading about all of these price drop upgrades. Nit tic worry though, we will still have an absolutely amazing time, natural light in the cabin or not :)

I think AUS TRAVELLER is right - it looks like these prices are "last minute specials". Personally, I just love last minute specials - not that I have really had the opportunity yet to grab one. But I would like to keep the possibility of doing so. Too often, I think that some here would prefer "fixed prices" as we used to have in the bad old days!! As a customer, I much prefer today's competitive business environment - but it does mean that we, as customers, need to keep on our toes and be understanding of what is happening around us.

Barry

The reason that price drops are so common in the US is because they pay usually a much smaller deposit and the penalty for cancelling or changing your mind for another cruise etc. is much less. Therefore people opt out just before final payment. Even when the price change is "new bookings only" they can take a small loss for a bigger gain if they cancel and then rebook..but generally the US agents simply match the new offer.

However all that aside I agree with the poster who said go ahead and have a great time...don't let this issue spoil your cruise...just learn from the experience for next time.

Well I am with Rugbypopsie. We are so not happy with the booking terms and conditions that we have to put up with here in Aus. We book as often as we can with overseas agents and we are prepared to put up with the currency fluctuations. If the $ goes down too much, increasing your costs, you can just cancel, no penalties. All your money back::D price goes down, take the reduction, thankyou very much:D.

Yes I do understand it is too late for you to book overseas but check it out for next time and let them know that you are not happy about it.( not that that will get you anywhere!!) Don't stress too much as you will have a great holiday and when you work out the cost it will still be a reasonably priced holiday.

It's not too late for the elusive upgrade fairy to smack you with her wand Sarah.

From what I've read, Royal Caribbean aren't all that forthcoming in the upgrade fairy stakes either, but, wellllllllllllllllllllll still something to hope for :D

As the others have said, book RCL through a US TA.

PS: There is one thing you have to watch for with "new bookings only" now in the US. The fine print now says if you cancel and rebook you won't get the new rate/bonuses, etc. How they police it I don't know :confused:

In my understanding of "new booking" if you cancel..you no longer have a booking...if you rebook it's a "new booking" the US system allows for name changes etc. for a minimal fee...so if you made the booking in your name you could make the new booking in your husbands name or a family members name and then name change. Obviously its easier for the agent/cruse line just to match the new price or give you the difference in OBC. This of course may only work for a booking made through a US agent..in OZ..tough luck.:mad:

I totally understand the need for cruise lines to try and sail full...but it certainly works against anyone making an early booking unless you are desperate for a particular cabin. My tip for minimising currency fluctuations is to have a hedge fund if you can... put US dollars into it when the exchange rate is favourable...whenever it goes up put in a little more...evens out the bumps. Plenty of oz banks have cards suitable for this purpose. Pity my DH was distracted when I told him to fill ours up when we could have got 1.10 against the USD. Oh well its on the way up again.

Cruise lines are in the business of trying to make money, cruise passengers are in the business of trying to cruise as cheaply and often as possible..:D

In my understanding of "new booking" if you cancel..you no longer have a booking...if you rebook it's a "new booking" the US system allows for name changes etc. for a minimal fee...so if you made the booking in your name you could make the new booking in your husbands name or a family members name and then name change. Obviously its easier for the agent/cruse line just to match the new price or give you the difference in OBC. This of course may only work for a booking made through a US agent..in OZ..tough luck.:mad:

Which sounds good if your booking as a couple or a family....but solo :confused:

Anyways, I'll let you know what happens when my Explorer cruise drops, and I've booked through a US TA :D I'll get to test it out :p

If it was a price for new bookings only, I'd really love to see the fine print that suggests that: However, there's nothing on the booking page that implies it's for new bookings only. Confusing!

Agree about the clarity on the site. Their web site looks glossy and has reasonable brochure ware, but still a lot of room for improvement.

However, from looking at the booking engine, it appears that you were looking at the oceanview guarantee ($2371 + taxes). Is that the one? If so, that's a Y guarantee which are almost always "New bookings only" although this is not made clear on the site. This is the same worldwide that bookings cannot be upgraded to these.

However, the I oceanviews are at a similar price. If you are willing to select a cabin, you may be able to upgrade to this, or is that what the agent was offering for the $300 extra?

Agree about the clarity on the site. Their web site looks glossy and has reasonable brochure ware, but still a lot of room for improvement.

However, from looking at the booking engine, it appears that you were looking at the oceanview guarantee ($2371 + taxes). Is that the one? If so, that's a Y guarantee which are almost always "New bookings only" although this is not made clear on the site. This is the same worldwide that bookings cannot be upgraded to these.

However, the I oceanviews are at a similar price. If you are willing to select a cabin, you may be able to upgrade to this, or is that what the agent was offering for the $300 extra?

Nope, I was looking at the Cat. I Oceanviews which are listed at a very similar price to the OV Guarantees. I was completely aware that you can't upgrade to Guarantee cabins because they are for new bookings only, but wasn't aware that *all* prices were for new bookings only.

Nevermind, lesson learnt, next time I'll try and book through an American TA.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. :)

I have found in the past if you call you may get a different agent and they may give you an upgrade - so if you haven't already done so, call again, don't tell them you called before, and see if they will upgrade you to an oceanview at the same price. They can tell you no but they might say okay. Worth the try.

Archived