Camp Carnival and Autism

neomom

Good morning,

My youngest son has Autism and will be 5 years old when we cruise in May. We will be on the Carnival Splendor. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Camp Carnival and a child with special needs.

Thank you,

Charlotte

I personally don't hav children young enough for Camp Carnival however a colleague who sold me on cruising has 2 children with fragile x syndrome, one of her sons also has autism. She has been incredibly pleased with cc and the support she has received for her boys.

Have you "searched" cc on the subject or gone to the "special needs" cruisers area? I only ask because I don't have personal experiences myself, but I do recall reading some here.

One gal's son did fine except for the mascot, so they were able to steer clear when he'd be around...

Hopefully Linda (LHP) will respond to your thread, but I can tell you that her son's experience has been exceptional. He has grown out of the kids program, and is now still enjoying have virtually grown up on the ship with no problems.

I've sailed with their family many times and they are all approaching their 50th milestone cruise sometime probably early next year.........

You won't find a better advocate for Carnivals Kids Program than Linda.

We were on the Dream 2 weeks ago with our 2 special needs children. Our 6 year old is Autistic (we were able to move him to the 2-5 age group) and our 4 year old has Severe General Anxiety Disorder, as well as both of them having an allergy to Red food dyes. I actually emailed Carnival Special needs department prior to us sailing to ask specific questions. They were great. We were able to fill out ALL paperwork regarding the allergy and special needs online so it was all set before we boarded. We were all also given if needed a seperate table for just our family at dinner(we which took advantage of) pre-boarding with out the groups of people and special arrangements for the muster drill.

The CC Staff was really really good about the special needs, especially the allergy! Unfortunately Becuase of the amount of children at camp at any given time, our children wouldn't go most of the time :( I was suprised by this, since they are in a special school and have classmates. We ran into more issues with other cruisers, making comments about our children and giving us trouble, then anything else. I look at it as those people being close minded and needing to be educated.

I would suggest filling out all the paperwork online, to save the time once on board the ship. Go to camp carinval to introduce your son on the first night, they have a great open house. The staff is good. Some of them I was suprised that they weren't too educated in special needs a bit more, but I guess it's not "required" I was mentioning to one how we use weights and pushing things as calming tools, she didn't understand why we "needed" calming or therapy tools. It turned out OK though. Have a fun trip!

I canàt speak for Carnival but my daughter worked on Disney Cruise lines for a couple of contracts and they dealth with kids with autism all the time. Actually my daughter has since graduated in this field and is working at an autism centre. Shame on those people who gave you a hard time, to me they are all angels and very special ones at that.

We are going on our first ever cruise in December, on The Splendor, and I have concerns as well. My youngest daughter just turned 5. Carnival knows about her wheelchair, but I didn't think about her sensory sensitivities regarding boarding and muster. My husband and I generally go into hyper-preventative mode and wear ourselves out keeping her calm. Thanks for the heads up with this topic. I need to look around for the Carnival Special Needs department.

(first time poster, long time lurker)

One of my girls is special needs and she has always been well cared for in the kids programs on all the ships we've been on. She's been allowed to play with the younger kids when necessary, or to play on her own when not able or interested in what her same-aged peers were doing.

I've seen other posters here who have been very happy using Autism on the Seas.

Here's the info from Carnival:

Children with Special Needs info:

• In order to join Carnival Youth Experience activities, the parent or legal guardian will need to fill out a registration form.
  • Parent or guardian will also be given an alternate special needs checklist, which will help aid the Youth Programming Staff in how to best serve your child while participating in activities. This checklist specifies what behaviors are sometimes displayed, and ways in which to help dissipate them.
  • Children with special needs have the option to move down one age group if this will help them better adapt to the environment.
  • We do not provide one-on-one attention, but if this is necessary, the parent or guardian is welcome to stay and participate with the child during activity times.
  • Parents of children with special needs will be provided with a beeper or phone.
  • Camp Carnival’s Important Information rules still apply to all children, in terms of administration of medication, illness, hours and unacceptable behavior while at Camp.
  • The Youth Programming Staff may not administer any medication and/or needles to any child participating in the Youth Activity Program. Additionally, no medications, with the exception of epi-pens, diabetic testing equipment and inhalers are permitted in the playroom. If your child requires regular medication while attending Camp Carnival, parents must return to administer that medication.
  • Should a child still be in diapers, and they are older/bigger than what the diaper-changing table can hold, then the parent or legal guardian will be called to assist.
  • Youth Programming Staff cannot lift children with mobility disabilities.
  • Since the Youth Programming Staff are not able to provide one-on-one assistance, children will need to be able to feed themselves. In the event that a child needs to be fed, a parent or guardian may remain with the child during dinner, or bring the child to activities following the dinner service.

Best,

Mia

The most difficult part of cruising with a special needs child is that no child is the same.

Each child comes with his or her own special needs.

Our son has enjoyed every age group of Camp Carnival. He is now 20 years old and we have been blessed to have been able to use cruising as a way to teach him life lessons as he got older.

I would think about any and all assistance you will need...then email

specialneeds@carnival.com

Our son has always gotten special assistance with the Muster Drill.

Years ago, there was no assistance for boarding BUT there is now.

Also think about if you will need a private table.

We have found the counselors at Camp Carnival to exceed our expectations and I have to say that I had a PHD in being overprotective.

Our son always has Frederic's Ataxia which caused some physical limitations as well.

Our experience has been that there are only 3 things Camp Carnival can not do.

They can not give one on one care.

They can not give medication.

They can not have a child that is aggressive to the counselors or other children.

I have always felt that as long as a parent's expectations are reasonable, Camp Carnival will do all they can to assist them.

It is getting more difficult because many children with Autism are non-verbal...so that adds other issues that have to be addressed. But it can still be done.

Autism on the Seas organizes both Autism Group cruises and assists families on individual cruises. We have never used them because we already had Carnival "figured out" by the time they came along.

Hope you have a wonderful vacation.....

I am seriously overwhelmed with the support and advice all of you have given. I literally have goosebumps right now. It can be tiresome dealing with ignorant and negative people out there that you forget sometimes that most people have their hearts in the right place. Not only does my youngest have Autism but my oldest has ADHD and sensory processing disorder, getting help with boarding would be fantastic!

Thank you so much to all of you for you help and courtesy,

Charlotte:)

I, too, am amazed at the information you all have just given. I feel secure that my child will be able to have her own adventures on this cruise. I am fully prepared to keep her with me, but I know she will want to hang out with her older sister and the other kids in CC. Overall, I feel she will do well. I am glad I will have a beeper of phone provided to me.

This message board pretty much rocks.

This is going to be a long message! LOL Here is my original email that I sent to Carnivals special needs dept and the response they sent back to me. My boys too, also have the SPD (sensory processing disorder) as well as a APD (auditory). So I know where each and every one of you are! This email calmed me down and made me feel safe bringing them! Hope it helps you all!

Dear Kym Beyer c/o Caden and Colin Beyer,

Carnival Cruise Lines is dedicated to offering a quality cruising experience for our guests with special requirements. Our ships provide excellent service and a variety of accessibility features to make your voyage an exciting, relaxing and a memorable one.

This will confirm receipt of the Special Requests for your child [Caden and Colin Beyer]. Please also advise if assistance is required with debarkation/embarkation, life boat drill, or would like to request a table for your party only.

The following information highlights some of the conditions under which our onboard Carnival Youth Program accepts children with special requirements into the respective programs (Camp Carnival, Circle "C" and Club O2).

While we understand that all of these points may not apply to your child, we are providing the complete list of information to you.

· In order to participate in any Carnival Youth Program activities the parent or legal guardian will need to complete a registration form.

· You will also be given an alternate special needs checklist, which will help aid the Youth Staff in how to best serve your child while participating in the activities.

· Children with special needs have the option to move down one age group if this will help them better adapt to the environment.

· We do not provide one on one attention, but if this is necessary, the parent, legal guardian, or assigned helper is welcome to stay and participate with the child during activity times.

· Parents of children with special needs will be provided with a beeper or phone (if applicable).

· Youth Programs Important Information rules still apply to all children, in terms of administration of medication, illness, hours and unacceptable behavior while in the program.

· The Youth Staff may not administer any medication and/or needles to any child participating in the Carnival Youth Program. Additionally, no medications with the exception of epi-pens, diabetic testing equipment & inhalers are permitted in the facilities.

· Should a child still be in diapers and they are older/bigger than what the diaper changing table can hold, then the parent or legal guardian will be called to assist.

· Youth Staff cannot lift children with mobility disabilities.

· Since the Youth Staff are not able to provide one-on-one assistance, children will need to be able to feed themselves. Furthermore, special diets cannot be accommodated. In the event that a child needs to be fed, a parent or guardian may remain with the child during meals, or bring the child to activities following the meal services.

· Supervised lunch with Camp Carnival staff is scheduled for children ages 2-11 years old, during port days only for parents who are on-shore and/or on a Carnival scheduled shore excursion.

· Supervised dinner with Camp Carnival staff is scheduled nightly (except embarkation night) for children ages 2-11 years old.

· Supervised Camp Carnival lunches & dinners are served at the Sea View Bistro. Special diets cannot be accommodated. Kid's menus are subject to change based on availability. Should you have any questions concerning menu items, please speak to a Camp Carnival staff member during the Camp Carnival orientation meeting on embarkation day.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard the Fun Ships of Carnival Cruise Lines.

Lorena Farinas

Guest Access Sailing Support

--- Original Message ---

Received: 7/14/11 11:33:19 AM EDT

To: <specialneeds@carnival.com>

Subject: Sailing Carnival Dream 10/1/2011 (Booking Number 940BT5)

Hello! We are sailing the Dream on Oct 1st with our 3 (14, 6 & 4) children, 2 of are special needs. Ages of the special needs are 4 & 6. Our 6 year old has Aspergers (form of Autism), as well as Oral Motor Apraxia and disability realted anxiety. Colin, Our 4 year old, has Severe General Anxiety Disorder and social phobia that obvisouly stems from the anxiety.

We noticed for Camp Carnival that the ages were split 2-5 and 6-8. Is there anyway we can have our 6 year old, step down with the younger group? This would benefit them for many reasons:

1- Caden (6 y/o) Doesn't "understand how" interact with older children, since he has trouble speaking, and older children generally can not realte, or tend to not understand him, therefore make fun of him, It makes both them and him uncomforatble.

2 - Caden again, developmentally is only around age 4.5 to 5 years old due to his special needs and would be much more comfortable with a younger crowd, espeically those who can understand him much more then older children do.

3 - Colin (4 y/o) would be MUCH more setteled in the enviroment with Caden by his side. They tend to "need" each other alot in social situations. Caden helps Colin interact, and Colin can "speak" for Caden when it's needed.

We've thought about this much since booking our cruise, and the closer we get the date (78 days) the more anxious I get for our older son having to go into a room with children so much "older" then him. He will not relate to them in any way.

Both Children are well behaved. Both recieve therapy and have been in school year round since the age of 2. They are both in a child care enviroment both before and after school, so we have no dobut that they will "fit in" just fine with the group at all, as long as they can be placed correctly.

Any help or infomation you can provide to us prior to sailing would be greatly apprecaited. My husband and I have cruised many times in the past and this will be the first time we decided to bring the children along. We are striving to do our very best to make this an enjoyable time for them, yet still be able to have fun with other children and make friendships, we appreacite your help in us reaching this goal. Feel free to email me back at this address,

I am so thrilled to hear that Carnival and other cruise lines are willing to work with parents and children with special needs. I am a teacher of a self-contained severe/profound intelletually disabled class. These children are a true blessing to me every day. Bless all of the parents who have these special angels.

We have a son ( now 13) with Asperger Syndrome ( mild Autism) and Tourette Syndrome, I can't say enough good things about Camp Carnival and carnival in general about how they accomodate special needs kids. Each cruise they were aware we were coming and at the first night of sign ups they always had all ours and his info and made time to just sit down with us and him and chat about his needs. Our son has been on 4 cruises all carnival and he loves it, we would even go to pick him up many times and he'd want to stay longer, lol. We loved being able to board and disembark ( VIP line) we did the muster drill in a lounge, we even got priority tender when we had tendering. I would not hesitate to give the camp a try, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Archived