Heart Monitor Question

LUVMYGSDOG

So, we sail on Saturday. After my son's visit to Cardio doc today, he has to wear a heart monitor starting at 5pm today for 48 hours. Which means he will be wearing this contraption when we board on Saturday. Comes off at 5pm on Saturday. I'm not exactly sure how this one works because I haven't seen it yet, but I know it involves a cell phone (which is included). We have to mail everything back which we can do Monday in Key West. Anyway......my question is. Anyone ever boarded the ship wearing a heart monitor??

If its only until 5 pm the day you board .. I would turn it off when you see international roaming charges come up on the cell phone and be sure to have international rates.

We use it 24/7 all the time hooked to a land phone.

Its too expensive to hook up with international roaming rates..be sure to have international turned on in the case you get hit with these charges.

if he only needs it 48 hours, doesnt sound like that big of a deal to turn it off when the ship leaves the dock, even if its only 46 hours or whatever.

I don't think we are getting charged for the cell phone, it's part of the monitor and we have to send it all back. I haven't actually seen it yet so now sure how it involves a cell. Most have my family have worn heart monitors at some point in time (a great thing inherited from my Dad's family) but this is a much more intense one. I guess I'll just explain before he walks through the scanner why he is wired like The Bionic Man!

chances are by 5pm, you'll still be within reach of the land-based towers, so it probably will send all the data it needs before the ship pulls away.

i'd give Carnival special needs a call and just let them know he'll be boarding with medical equipment attached to him. And make sure he has a note from the doc to please the TSA folks ... they'll still search him, but it helps to have documentation.

You might want to get a note from your Doctor saying what he is wearing. You can also ask him to be checked by wand. im sure the metal detector will go off with the monitor and who knows how the Security people may react.

I would not think the people would want to pay the roaming charges on the cell phone.

Better ask and be real sure that you wouldnt get hit with the bill and this is going to be ok.

I know for sure they would not have picked up the charge for my dad if it was hundreds of dollars of roaming charges. have you told the doctor he will be on a ship and that there will be international roaming charges.

My dad has a rheumatic heart and lucky to have lived past his teens they said. My mom's family didnt want her to marry him. (he had rheumatic fever when he was younger). he now has a pacemaker and turned 93.

Why don't you ask your consultant if you can stop it around 2 - 3pm. Another 2 or 3 hours probably won't make any difference to the results. You would then be able to take it off and post it before you board. (Or get someone else to post it for you - but you could have removed before you board.

I just called the doctor's office and explained the situation. They are faxing me a letter from the doctor explaining why he is wearing this. We sail at 4pm and he has to take it off at 5pm. They told me to just let him wear it until 5pm. I am also going to contact Carnival special needs as suggested.

Firefly, great for your Dad! My Dad is the one who we all inherited the heart issues from - has a long medical term but is basicaly (irregular heartbeat). He died of a heart attack at 80. I have the heart issues, my 2 sisters and my brother both do. And now my child does as well (so does my niece). My son is 22 and he is very stressed over this. I keep telling him, my Dad lived until 80! And I'm 52!! You just have to learn how to take care of yourself with a "special situation"!

I would not think the people would want to pay the roaming charges on the cell phone.

Better ask and be real sure that you wouldnt get hit with the bill and this is going to be ok.

I know for sure they would not have picked up the charge for my dad if it was hundreds of dollars of roaming charges. have you told the doctor he will be on a ship and that there will be international roaming charges.

My dad has a rheumatic heart and lucky to have lived past his teens they said. My mom's family didnt want her to marry him. (he had rheumatic fever when he was younger). he now has a pacemaker and turned 93.

But you are assuming that the cell phone is even capable of international roaming - which I doubt.

So rather than a bill - it is more likely that they will be unable to transmit (via that cellphone) the last hour or so of the monitoring and that information will have to be downloaded from the monitor when it is shipped back to the company or when they can pick up a land signal after arriving in Key West.

Most likely all the charges will be billed to his insurance. They will pay the usual and customary charges (whatever they have contracted with the doc for) and the rest will either be written off by the doc or billed to the patient.

If he has 2 insurance policies, the primary will pay their portion and then the remaining balance will be satisfied by the secondary policy.

The patient should only have to pay his portion (co-pay) as long as his deductibles have been met.

Why don't you ask your consultant if you can stop it around 2 - 3pm. Another 2 or 3 hours probably won't make any difference to the results. You would then be able to take it off and post it before you board. (Or get someone else to post it for you - but you could have removed before you board.

I agree with you. Id be asking this question and if not, will they pick up the roaming international charges when the satalitte charges kick in...or will it even pick up at all?

My tracfone just quits working once we get into international waters. If it wouldnt pick up then there is no point in wearing it the full 48 hours.

I just called the doctor's office and explained the situation. They are faxing me a letter from the doctor explaining why he is wearing this. We sail at 4pm and he has to take it off at 5pm. They told me to just let him wear it until 5pm. I am also going to contact Carnival special needs as suggested.

Firefly, great for your Dad! My Dad is the one who we all inherited the heart issues from - has a long medical term but is basicaly (irregular heartbeat). He died of a heart attack at 80. I have the heart issues, my 2 sisters and my brother both do. And now my child does as well (so does my niece). My son is 22 and he is very stressed over this. I keep telling him, my Dad lived until 80! And I'm 52!! You just have to learn how to take care of yourself with a "special situation"!

Good - I am sure that will make him feel better about the whole thing! He can wear it for the first hour - and then it will not effect the rest of the cruise ;) :D

When I get home and actually see the monitor and the cell, I will decide what to do about this. I probably will just rip it off him right before we sail, which will only be about one hour difference. Not even sure why he can't put it on until 5pm today since I haven't seen it yet! All the ones we've used in the past were put on at the Cardio office.

So, I'm sure the first thing he will be doing on the cruise is taking a shower since he won't be able to for the next 48 hours! :D

You might want to get a note from your Doctor saying what he is wearing. You can also ask him to be checked by wand. im sure the metal detector will go off with the monitor and who knows how the Security people may react.

Thanks. He hates attention so he's not going to be happy about all this!:)

Tell him not to worry about the attention. The security people are very good with special needs situations. I personally wear a medical device and use a walker and cannot go through the metal detector so I have to get the pat down and it's really no big deal.

Hope you have a great cruise !!!

I also have irregular heartbeat and have worn a monitor, had an angiogram, lots of stress tests, echocardiograms and with meds keep a normal heart rhythm. My dad is 86 and had this also since his 20's. My best wishes for you, your son and family, and hope you have a great cruise.

Good news putting it off til you get home. .

Did want to note however that EVEN in port you can be charged for international roaming rates. Once onboard the ship be very careful about using your cell phone. I believe it was only a year ago or perhaps two when someone used their phone in....Miami?... before sail away and ended up with a phone bill for thousands of dollars. Following a football game I think. I may have the details wrong but the outcome I am certain of.

Archived