DAWN In Port - no pools

DBI0530

I just found out that when the ship is in port (this is my first cruise) the pools are drained, and there are no activities. I had planned on staying aboard and relaxing/swimming, etc. What is it like when it is in port? What % of people usually stay around?

They don't always empty the pools...only sometimes...they do have things going on most of the time but just not as much as sea days. Some ports everyone gets off someports no one gets off and sometimes its mister in between... In Florida I would say about 1/2-3/4 get off. In Nassau slightly less than 1/2 and at Stirrup Cay it depends on the weather--sometimes everyone sometimes no one. I thought the pools were open everywhere except in NYC.

There should be activities planned on board the ship every port day. They aren't the most exciting events or maybe the most interesting but there is always something to do. As for the pools, I've only ever seen the pools closed when embarkation/debarkation is taking place. I've always seen the pools drained the last night for cleaning, etc.

Cecilia

I can be contacted at *****@aol.com

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;02;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

My Wedding!

The pools were open on our cruise. The amount og people who stay on board vary. Always enjoy those days onboard when the ship is not as full.

Just enjoy your trip.Cruises are the best!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Select a color Black Red Green Blue Purple Orange Olive Navy Aqua Lime Maroon Teal Fuchsia Dark Green Midnight Blue Deep S

• 9 months later...

Even though I'm not the person who posted the original question for this thread, I have to say I am SOOOOOOOOO relieved to hear your answers! My heart sank when I thought about the pools maybe closing while in port--we plan on staying aboard in Miami and maybe even in Nassau when we go in May.

I so enjoy the "quieter, less-people-on-board" days on a cruise! And from what I have read in other threads, they may be the only times we get chairs poolside.

:-)

Your post made me relive my vacation on the DAWN last July. It was heaven. Everyone got off the ship in Nassau and I was able to finally swim in the pool A L O N E!!!! There were maybe 10 people milling about on the deck at 9AM and thats when I jumped in the pool and enjoyed it all to myself for at least 2 full hours. Of course every cruise is different but I was so happy I had the opportunity to go from the pool to the hot tub, back to the pool, back to the hot tub...it was really quite funny now that I think about it. It's just that it was so crowded with kids and families and babies all the time I never really got to enjoy it except for that day in Nassau.

Enjoy your trip!!!

:)

Your post made me relive my vacation on the DAWN last July. It was heaven. Everyone got off the ship in Nassau and I was able to finally swim in the pool A L O N E!!!! There were maybe 10 people milling about on the deck at 9AM and thats when I jumped in the pool and enjoyed it all to myself for at least 2 full hours. Of course every cruise is different but I was so happy I had the opportunity to go from the pool to the hot tub, back to the pool, back to the hot tub...it was really quite funny now that I think about it. It's just that it was so crowded with kids and families and babies all the time I never really got to enjoy it except for that day in Nassau.

Enjoy your trip!!!

:)

LOL! That sounds like our Disney Wonder cruise. :eek: They docked at their private island, we got off but the beach got sooooo crowded that we decided to head back to the ship only an hour after we got there. Upon boarding we noticed not one soul was in the pool or the hot tubs. We had a blast going from hot tub to pool and vice versa for several hours. It was like we had the whole ship to ourselves. :D

We hope to do something similar when we dock in Tortola... been there once so we won't be missing anything.

We hope to do something similar when we dock in Tortola... been there once so we won't be missing anything.

Have you seen and done EVERYTHING on Tortola with just one docking? We've been there twice--this past time it was for a dolphin swim, but the first time we went to some beach on the north of the island that was one of the most fantastic beaches we've seen in the Caribbean--and we've seen one or two in all our cruises. I don't remember its name but it took my breath away--something Megan's Bay and Orient Beach never did. I look forward to seeing other things and beaches there!

Have you seen and done EVERYTHING on Tortola with just one docking? We've been there twice--this past time it was for a dolphin swim, but the first time we went to some beach on the north of the island that was one of the most fantastic beaches we've seen in the Caribbean--and we've seen one or two in all our cruises. I don't remember its name but it took my breath away--something Megan's Bay and Orient Beach never did. I look forward to seeing other things and beaches there!

I know we would plan on doing more in Tortola if the stop there was not so short. Ship leaves at 1:00 PM. With six islands and excrusions planned for most of them we felt we did not want to rush around on Tortola to get something in before the ship leaves. We will be doing more cruises to this part of the Caribbean in the future so we will save Tortola for when it's a longer stop.

Megan's Bay is in St Thomas and actually we are thinking of either Megans' Bay or Coki Beach for that island stop. We want to do beaches on Grenada and St Thomas...gotta get some layed back relaxation time in. ;)

Archived