New to Celebrity - Question on Staterooms

DCParky

Hi,

I'm contemplating my first cruise on Celebrity, and am really excited by it. I've done alot of cruising on Holland America and have been looking to try something different. I'm thinking about booking the Transatlantic on the Silhouette in Dec. 2012.

I'd be real interested in people's opinion regarding the S1 Sky Suite vs. the Concierge Stateroom. I like the idea of the extra space, but really wonder if it's worth the extra money. I like the aft facing stateroom of the S1, but that's not a "must have".

Thanks for your thoughts!

Only you can really say if it is worth the money - so much depends on what is important to you. On S class the Concierge class rooms are the same size as the other balcony rooms - they just have more ammenities and are often in the better locations. Sky suites have more room, and butler service. The extra room is nice, but I could certainly do without a butler. I personally would never pay much extra for a Sky Suite - in fact I don't even do Concierge class unless the price is $100 more per person, max. There are so many wonderful places to spend time on the ship I just don't want to pay alot of money just for more room.

There are pros and cons about being at the back of the ship as well. If the seas are rocky and you are prone to motion sickness, you are much better off in a balcony cabin close to mid-ship than you are with a room all the way at the back.

Since this is your first cruise on Celebrity...if you are used to a suite on Holland American and cost is not a signficant issue, I would suggest booking a suite on Celebrity. Many of us don't think it's worth the extra price, but the concierge, aqua, veranda cabins are all the same size on the solstice class ships and they can feel a bit small with limited storage space (much of it is high over the bed). Two people can not pass where the bed is...there's really only space for one to walk around the bed. Again, many of us don't feel that's a real problem, but if you prefer space, then book the suite. Assuming you will cruise celebrity again, you will be able to see what a balcony (aqua/cc/balcony) cabin looks like as you walk thru the halls and you'll be able to decide for your next cruise.

We usually book the S1 aft suites and we love them. You'll get all sorts of opinions about the extra room but we spend a good bit of time in the room and on the balcony and it's worth the price to us. The aft corner is great - we love aft balconies (we've had several Concierge Class aft balconies) but the corner just adds a bit more dimension. We aren't really too terribly prone to motion sickness and despite a couple of very rocky days in the past, it wasn't a problem for us.

On the S class ships there isn't a nearby elevator or stairs but to us that's kind of a good thing - we get more exercise and the area is very quiet. No one seems to go down there unless they 'live' there.

We booked the S1 on our upcoming cruise because we wanted something special for our honeymoon. But honestly it all depends on your budget and what you are comfortable with. Personally, I think if you're happy with a smaller cabin and don't really care if you're aft or anywhere else on the ship, then there really is no reason to book the S1.

We booked the S1 mainly b/c we like being tucked away at a quiet corner of the ship, like to have butler service, and also wanted a corner cabin so we can get a really nice view of the ocean. But again, that's just our own personal preference. If those things aren't a priority for you, or you are perfectly happy in a regular cabin, then it doesn't hurt to save a few bucks :)

We had cabin 1666 corner aft cabin on Eclipse last year, liked the odd shape of the cabin, these corner cabins have 'poles' in them which you have to be careful you do not bump I to in the night if you are trying to get to the bathroom.

The. Wrap round balcony did not wrap round as much as we had hoped and overall balcony was not as big as we thought it would be. We found cigarette ends on balcony every day frm where they had pressure washed open air restaurant/bar two decks up.

We also found being at the back of the ship was quite bad in rough weather.

Very little wardrobe space, not enough for two people, and bathroom quite small. We have returned recently from Holland America ZAANDAM where we had a suite, this was twice the size of S1Celebrity cabin with balcony 3 times the size. Having said that, Celebrity had great service, great food and we have booked her again for next year.

Archived