Great Stirrup Cay Updates and Photos

bdaddyiii

All of my pictures are taking with a Canon D10. It takes wonderful land, water and night pictures. That little camera amazes me so much that I stopped taking my dslr camera on vacations (not because the Canon D10 takes better pictures but because it does take great pictures and easier to lug around without having to worry about taking something heavy and lugging around lens and so on). :D

They do have an updated version that was just released (Canon D20). But that new release caused the D10 price to drop (I originally paid around $400 for mine when it first came out) and now they are around $200+. :D So, I purchased a second D10 for the hubby. No more fighting over who gets the camera in the water while snorkeling now. :p

Thanks!! I will look into it:)

I posted these pics in a thread in the Norwegian Boards and I realized that I should post them here, too . . . these were taken on a rainy / dreary Friday the 13th, but we still had a fantastic time!

http://share.shutterfly.com/view/flashShareSlideshow.jsp?sid=8AZuGjdo2atGOY

Thanks for sharing. I love the pictures with all the birds on the hill. Also, I didn't see the rock with the "Great Stirrup Cay" on it. Was that at the entrance or somewhere else on the island?

Thanks for sharing. I love the pictures with all the birds on the hill. Also, I didn't see the rock with the "Great Stirrup Cay" on it. Was that at the entrance or somewhere else on the island?

Yes, it was right at the entrance.

Is there a charge for the Hippo slide and the lazy river?

You can go down the slide for $4.99 once. Or you can buy an arm band for all day sliding as much as you want for $20. (This is per person). The lazy river isn't finished yet. :)

Does anyone have any details on the new winding river, will it be the type of thing you find at water parks?

I read elsewhere that it is NOT a ride at all, but a water drainage ditch....

It was a trip report where the OP asked about it on the island and was told that it is an oft asked question, but misinformation that it is going to be an attraction.

I read elsewhere that it is NOT a ride at all, but a water drainage ditch....

It was a trip report where the OP asked about it on the island and was told that it is an oft asked question, but misinformation that it is going to be an attraction.

The new "winding river" is listed on the NCL website as "coming soon" - http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/great-stirrup-cay

The new "winding river" is listed on the NCL website as "coming soon" - http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/great-stirrup-cay

I hope it is an attraction! Here is the clip I read, it's from the thread

Jewel review 4/14-4/21

GSC – my first time here and it was beautiful. We had a clam shell and were in the front row over to the right by the slide (which I lied to my son and said he was too short to ride it after reading Mitsugirly’s review!!)

The water was a little chilly but felt great as the day went on. My son and husband had their own snorkel gear. We rented a mat for $12.99- get those early as they do sell out. Lunch was BBQ type food and pretty decent. They had a live band and Nick activities. I walked around taking pictures and saw some of the senior staff. I asked about the “lazy river” that people were talking about and they laughed and said they get that question all of the time and it is not a lazy river but rather a drainage channel for the cove where the tenders pull in??????( NCL’s site says it’s a “winding river) They told me they are expanding the beach all the way over to the left to accommodate the Breakaway passenger load. Also they are trying to add a string ray experience in the cove behind the cabanas…..

Just off the Sky this morning. Rained the entire cruise. All excursions except for snorkeling were cancelled on GSC. We went over so my cousin could take a look. The lazy river is still there (looks the same as when I was there in November). It now has a security type rope around the edges. Heard different stories as to what is will be used for. Heard it was a "drainage area" for stagnant water. Heard it will be a kayaking excursion. Heard it will be a lazy river with tubes. Never heard any opening dates.

Your private cabana comes with everything you need to enjoy your stay on the Cay. Start your day with priority tender tickets, making it easy to get ashore. Bottled water and fruit await your arrival. Once you have settled in; enjoy the sea on a complementary float and all day access to the Hippo water slide. You’ll also receive a $50 credit towards food and beverages while on the Cay. Note: Price listed is per cabana (not per person) and is good for up to 6 guests; therefore only one person needs to reserve the cabana. Use of the Hippo slide requires a waiver to be completed by each person staying in the cabana and will be delivered to your stateroom. Hippo water slide participants must be at least 42 inches in height.

Hippo water slide participants must be at least 42 inches in height.

We were just at GSC a month ago and there was no height requirement for the hippo slide. We had our 3 year old with us that is no where near that and they said she could go down by herself. However, we opted to go down with her the first time to make sure that she liked it before paying for a full day. Is this a new rule? :confused:

We were just at GSC a month ago and there was no height requirement for the hippo slide. We had our 3 year old with us that is no where near that and they said she could go down by herself. However, we opted to go down with her the first time to make sure that she liked it before paying for a full day. Is this a new rule? :confused:

I just posted what was posted on NCL's site about the cabanas.

I have never seen them tell anyone they were too small to go on it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone returning in the last week provide an updata on the private cabanas? Does anyone know anymore than what is posted? Wondering what you spend the $50.00 food credit on since the food is free.

Thanks.

Can anyone returning in the last week provide an updata on the private cabanas? Does anyone know anymore than what is posted? Wondering what you spend the $50.00 food credit on since the food is free.

Thanks.

The $50 food and beverage credit is for a special menu provided on GSC that you can order from. I was told for example you can order a platter of shrimp or other specialties not available at the BBQ.

Has anyone returned from GSC and have any updated news on the cabanas? Pictures would be helpful. I thought they were going to be in use for the May cruises. Really anxious for any updates.

Thanks

Has anyone returned from GSC and have any updated news on the cabanas? Pictures would be helpful. I thought they were going to be in use for the May cruises. Really anxious for any updates.

Thanks

My sailing leaves on Saturday morning (5/26) and we have a cabana rented for our day on GSC. I'll come back with a full report!

Thanks for the great review, it has changed since we were there 3 years ago. Looking forward to going back in February! Does anyone have a picture of the Cabanas? I m seriously thinking of reserving one.

Thanks

Archived