Great Stirrup Cay Updates and Photos

bdaddyiii

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the awesome review and pictures. I truly enjoyed them and it gave a great perspective on what the place looks like (I haven't been there since the 80's) :D

Since you said something about walking past the adult only beach area and then to the swimming area (where you see the huge rocks out in the water) and you mentioned that there were not a lot of rocks (and you only spotted 4 there)...is there no snorkeling there? I know they have the snorkeling rental equipment, but you need to basically have iron shore or coral in order to see very much (other than the occasional fish that will swarm looking for food) so I guess I'm wondering is there actually a place there to snorkel?

Does anyone have any idea how much they rent the snorkel gear for? Does it include life vest?

It's still a work in progress to me and I hope to see it when it's finished. Last week we stopped there on the Gem and I thought it was still quite rocky.

The adults only beach is not marked and plenty of people with kids come over there. I'm hoping that's something they'll address in the future--a big sign to say it's adults only. The only place it said that is on the map they gave out.

The water is beautiful and the tenders hold 450 so it's a relatively quick process.

The food was excellent, bar service somewhat limited.

I really appreciate the pictures and update, wish NCL would keep us updated! I was really looking forward to lazy river, but I'm guessing by Feb. 27 - It is a no-go at this point.

So up for sunning and snorkeling!

Anna

I'll be there in April. I'm looking forward to the cabanas and lazy river. I would appreciate it, if you can find out anything while you are there in February, and report back.

Gail

Great pictures.........is there a charge for the buffet or is it included? Can we rent dive vests?

Thanks a bunch!

Food is included because it is brought from the ship and cooked. It's just like you are still on the ship eating. Yes, you can rent equipment for snorkeling and such according to the NCL website and others have stated on here that you can. :)

bdaddy - thanks so much for the pictures and great information. I leave next Monday on the Sky and can't wait! Dumb question about GSC - I know you said the drinks were free pour, do they charge for beer and wine just like on the ship then? Thanks for any additional information.

Yes, you can rent equipment for snorkeling and such according to the NCL website and others have stated on here that you can. :)

How much is it to rent snorkel equipment?

And, I can't tell from the pics... is there a separate area designated out in the water just for snorkeling?

• 2 weeks later...

We visited GSC a week ago. We had been there twice in 2008 and really didn't care to ever return. We were SO surprised at the new and improved island. The weather was amazing and we had a great day!! It is beautiful!! The new buffet area is such an improvement, clean and very big. DH actually commented that NCL should anchor there for a few days... so relaxing and no need to plan something that you really don't want to do at a port you aren't that interested in. Can't wait til our next visit.

I really didn't see any evidence of a lazy river or cabanas. He did take a walk and said that there seems to be lots of plans for the future. I was going to ask the hotel director (who we saw walking all over the island checking things out) but was having such a great relaxing day, I forgot!

This was our third time at GSC and we actually got to visit each time.. some of the most recent cruises missed it because of weather... I can't believe we are three for three..

We visited GSC a week ago. We had been there twice in 2008 and really didn't care to ever return. We were SO surprised at the new and improved island. The weather was amazing and we had a great day!! It is beautiful!! The new buffet area is such an improvement, clean and very big. DH actually commented that NCL should anchor there for a few days... so relaxing and no need to plan something that you really don't want to do at a port you aren't that interested in. Can't wait til our next visit.

I really didn't see any evidence of a lazy river or cabanas. He did take a walk and said that there seems to be lots of plans for the future. I was going to ask the hotel director (who we saw walking all over the island checking things out) but was having such a great relaxing day, I forgot!

This was our third time at GSC and we actually got to visit each time.. some of the most recent cruises missed it because of weather... I can't believe we are three for three..

How was the weather when you were there? Was the water warm(enough to swim)?

I just came here looking for pictures, but from what I've heard.. you do not drive the wave-runner. You are just a passenger on it and someone else drives it.

Sorry, that is not correct. You have two options:

1) Two people can each rent their own or,

2) Two people can rent one with one person driving and the other being a passenger

Hope this clears up any confusion

How was the weather when you were there? Was the water warm(enough to swim)?

The weather was gorgeous!!! There were tons of people in the water... it felt a little cool when you first got in but really nice after a could of seconds. Lots of sun!!!

Sorry, that is not correct. You have two options:

1) Two people can each rent their own or,

2) Two people can rent one with one person driving and the other being a passenger

Hope this clears up any confusion

Thank God you clarified .. I had booked this for my husband, who is built like a football player ... he'd have been PISSED if that were true and he were stuck on a jetski with a stranger!! lol

I was wondering about the waverunners, too. Short time for a lot of $$, especially if the "lesson" is part of the hour....

The were no waverunners yet last June, but we had a fantastic day snorkeling and lying on the large family float. My daughters did the hippo slide, too. We enjoyed the barbecue lunch on the island and had a nice relaxing day. One of my girls used sunscreen way too sparingly and got a nasty sunburn which slowed her down a bit for Nassau the next day. I hope she is smarter this year! It sounds like a lot of improvements even in the last year.

If you have recent photos, add them! Very enjoyable for us dreamers:D

Archived