We need help choosing a cabin for our first cruise!

wrg11

Finally, after everything that we've been through we are finally taking our first cruise!!! We will be celebrating both my and dh birthdays as well as our 11th anniversary:) We want a balcony but we also want to enjoy the balcony. We'll be on the Crown in April 2012. Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you are already decided on a balcony then I can't be of much help. If, on the other hand you are open to suggestions, DW and I took our first cruise on the Crown two years ago. Loved our outside stateroom on the Plaza deck. Able to pop down the hall to the International cafe for coffee and fresh donuts every morning! For our second cruise, 10 days on the Emerald, we opted for an Inside stateroom. With the money saved vs. a balcony we were able to enjoy extra shore excursions, the premium restaurants and some nice souvenirs. Enjoy!

I'm open to an ocean view, but I think my husband really wants a balcony. But, if we do an ocean view we would want something quiet. Any suggestions?

If you want a quiet ocean view, then the suggestion above to be on the Plaza Deck is perfect....great, and convenient location.

It seems like most people on the Princess boards prefer the Caribe balconies because they are bigger. However, they are half covered and half open. Dolphin is completely uncovered.

My personal preference is for a fully covered balcony, even if it is smaller. If we are not getting an aft facing balcony, I prefer Baja midship because there are cabins both above and below so it is quiet.

I can still remember my reaction the first time we sailed on Princess. We were in a fully covered Baja balcony and when I looked down on the Caribe and Dolphin balconies I said to my husband, "I'd be really ticked if we were on one of those open balconies."

But, like I said, I'm probably in the minority on that choice!

Are there lounge chairs on the fully covered balconies?

To my knowledge, only full suites have lounge chairs. Caribe and Dolphin have two straight chairs and two chairs with reclining backs. Baja and Aloha just have two straight chairs.

My DW and I started out with Dolphin mini-suites. We enjoy the extra room, don't mind people looking down on us because we can always look back up. The best thing about those balconies though is you can look straight down onto the water. We enjoy just leaning against the rail and watching the water go by. Whatever you choose, it's a personal preference, being anywhere on a cruise is the best it can get. Enjoy!

I personally like a covered balcony vs an exposed one. You are able to still use it if it rains and sometimes the sun is just too hot. We had an aft corner balcony last cruise and roasted a few mornings trying to have breakfast. I would go for the balcony but rest assured that an entry level balcony on Baja deck would be just fine without breaking the bank. If you want to splurge try to snag a mini on the Emerald deck and mark it no upgrades.

If you can swing it, the midship BA cabins on Caribe are sort of the best of both worlds. You have it half uncovered and half covered.

I've been all over the ship. I am slightly claustrophobic and had a very difficult time the one time we got a inside cabin. I have no problems with the ocean view cabins. Someone mentioned the Plaza deck---I liked it too.

For our next cruise we are in a balcony cabin because we remember enjoying it on the Panama Canal before.

If you do Alaska, I think a balcony is kind of a "must."

Archived