Hotels suggestions in Valparaíso?

FredT

My wife and I are booked on a January 6 Sailing out of Valparaiso and are planning to arrive in town the night before. Looking for a hotel downtown, preferably somewhere that lends itself to the two of us wandering around a bit. (So in a nice/safe/interesting part of town?) We thought about Vina, but like the idea of a downtown area better. (If it is nice/safe/interesting/bla/bla/bla...)

Upscale is good, quirky is fine, does not have to be a big multinational. (But if they have something special and different.....)

I have looked at the hotels listed on Trip Advisor, but am a bit leery of the huge numbers of reviews written by people who only HAVE written one review.:rolleyes: So I turn to my fellow cruisers......

We are staying in Valparaiso prior to our cruise departing December 5, staying at the Hotel Manoir Atkinson, top rated on trip advisor, we were in Valpo last year and saw the hotel while on a city tour intransit from the port to Santiago and it looked interesting!

Check it out on the web or trip advisor.

Gerry

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Cirilo Armstrong. The hotel is in a quirky neighborhood up in the hills away from downtown but near plenty of restaurants. Definitely not the Hilton or Marriott, but clean and new.

The TripAdvisor reviews are accurate. It is not a place for the infirm. The neighborhood is too steep as is the narrow stairway to the loft.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294306-d1534687-Reviews-Hotel_Cirilo_Armstrong-Valparaiso.html

I printed a map to help our driver find the place. Valparaiso is free from most advertising assaults, the hotel sign is just 12" diameter on a utility pole.

My husband and I will be in Valpo 3 days before our cruise end of March. Also interested in hotels in Valpo and also Buenos Aires. We will be there 5 days prior to Valpo when we take the cruise Valpo to Ft. Lauderdale. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up. We booked a room at the Manoir Atkinson for the fifth. Interesting point is that if you try to book through any of the hotel "booking sites", they say there is no availability, but if you go direct, there are rooms available. (The same with the Gervasoni...)

Coming up on the travel season, looking forward to both our Christmas cruise with family (Ultra cheap 4 day Mexican Carnival cruise.) and this more "exotic" trip!

I will certainly update this thread one more time in February with my observations....

FredT

Archived