What other lines after AMA?

euro cruiser

We took our first river cruise this year on AMA (Vineyards of the Rhine) and loved it.

I'm looking into options for next year and most of the places AMA goes to we've already been to, many several times.

What other lines would you suggest I try given that the AMA experience was a near-perfect fit for us?

We're not interested in the standard Danube locations that everyone seems to offer, and Asia is just too far for some members of the family to travel to. Russia is off the table as well.

Perhaps France, or other non-Danube locations in Europe (I'm not even sure where else in Europe river cruises are offered, to be honest).

Or maybe the Middle East? I've done a short river cruise on the Nile and would go there again, if there are longer itineraries available.

We took our first river cruise this year on AMA (Vineyards of the Rhine) and loved it.

I'm looking into options for next year and most of the places AMA goes to we've already been to, many several times.

What other lines would you suggest I try given that the AMA experience was a near-perfect fit for us?

We're not interested in the standard Danube locations that everyone seems to offer, and Asia is just too far for some members of the family to travel to. Russia is off the table as well.

Perhaps France, or other non-Danube locations in Europe (I'm not even sure where else in Europe river cruises are offered, to be honest).

Or maybe the Middle East? I've done a short river cruise on the Nile and would go there again, if there are longer itineraries available.

Have you been to Portugal? AMA does a great trip there. Trip starts in Lisbon, then there is a tranfer to Porto. The boat goes on the Douro River as far as Salamanca (bus trip there) and then back to Porto. Very scenic trip.

Also the trip between Budapest and Prague is very nice.

We did Paris/Normandy with Uniworld as our 1st river cruise - and loved it!!

Avalon and Viking also do the Seine - but have not travelled with either of them (yet) so can't comment on them as "hosts".

Portugal could also be an interesting option.

Fran

We loved Avalon on our first river cruise last year....we are sailing with them again in April. We did look into other companies, but we really enjoyed Avalon, we were familiar with their product, and the cruise was very affordable, so we booked it again...Amsterdam down the Rhine and then we end in Paris. Our cruise CD and the food and service were great.

Portugal with AMA was great. Looking for a different itinerary, the Elbe with Viking--without a doubt their best trip in Europe. We traveled from Berlin to Prague with 2 days on either end included in the cruise. We have also done the Peruvian Amazon with GAP out of Canada. Think that Egypt is not the best placefor travel right now. Christmas market cruises are special. There are also wonderful trips in China--we go next year. Pat

Portugal and Spain are interesting, but I don't see them on the AMA web site. Perhaps they no longer do this itinerary?

I'll look into Avalon, Viking and Uniworld, thanks for the suggestions.

Check out Vantage as well.

Archived