Mini-Suite or Balcony???

DivaG

We'll be taking our first cruise on the Dawn in September and can't seem to decide which is better to have a mini-suite or the oceanview with balcony cabin. Of course, the mini-suite will offer us more space - are there any other benefits???

Thanks for your help.

G

I stayed in minisuite 11110 mid ship, perfect location, close to everything. I loved the extra room compared to outside verd stateroom. No special services except I was able to book special restaurants the same day over the phone. I believe otherwise you have to book 24 hours ahead. I would definitly book mini suite again. You will love the ship, she is a beauty.

Enjoy your cruise!

Rainy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till NCL Dawn cruise

Thank you for your reply. I think we're definitely going to spend the extra $$ for the mini-suite. It'll make our 1st cruise that much more special. If anyone has any suggestions or comments, I'd appreciate it. We'll be cruising 9/12 - 9/19 to the Bahamas for our anniversary. We're both very excited. I've been doing alot of reading online and have found out some great info.

Thanks again.

DivaG --

Happy Anniversary & Happy Sailing. My suggestion given your sailing dates -- buy TRIP INSURANCE -- it's prime hurricane season & they will be coming up the coast along the same route you'll be sailing.

Trish

might as well throw in the Anniversary Package where you get champange and chocolate covered strawberries in your room when you arrive. a complimentary dinner for two at Le Bistro. i believe (1) free photo from the ship photographer...and a couple other things.

check the packages on the NCL site. www.ncl.com

diver_floating_md_clr.gif

WE ARE...PENN STATE! Biology '94

http://photos.yahoo.com/zonehph2002

click on NORWEGIAN WIND 20040327 (03/27/2004 sailing)

For a couple, I would recommend the BA oceanview stateroom with balcony. The cabin and its balcony are the same width as the mini suite. The difference is the mini-suite sitting room has a larger sofa that converts to a bed, more suitable for extra passengers in the cabin. The mini suite also has a tub, if that is important to you. By going one deck lower, the AB has less noise from the pool area or buffet above and the money you save can be used for other niceties like the Anniversary Package etc. Check the cabin layouts in the brochure to determine if you need the extra space.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dolphins:

The mini suite also has a tub, if that is important to you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know this is a family show on these boards, but if the are willing to pay for the minisuite and get a real tub...that would add to their "added enjoyment" of the extra space in the tub...*nudge, nudge*...just like people asking "how exactly private are the balconies".

G-if price is not a factor,take the mini-suite...it's 229 sq.ft vs. 166 for the standard balcony.I stayed on the Dawn for the inaugural 1 night cruise a few years ago and got upgraded to a mini-suite.Great cabin,great ship.I liked it more than the Sun,which I loved also....don't forget to eat at Le Bistro's and order the escargots (see the post called "Le Bistro").Have a great time!

ZoneHPH - You are a bad bad man!!! icon_wink.gif I'm lovin' it.

Hmmm - nice tub!!! icon_cool.gif

Dolphins - thanks much for the info. I was able to find info on the square footage, but that doesn't help much with the layout and what exactly the difference was - other than the tub. icon_smile.gif I guess I've got alot more researching to do.

Also, does anyone have any info regarding these "guaranteed" cabins, versus just booking a cabin. What's the difference?

Thanks for your help. and ZoneHPH - try to behave. icon_wink.gif

Thanks Big Al. I guess it's not so much that price is not an issue (it's always an issue) - but the price isn't that huge (IMO). Otherwise I wouldn't consider it at all. I think my DH would be excited about the upgrade and I just may try to surprise him and do it. I'm the "organizer". He seems to think I'm obsessed with this cruise - but I just want to know what's going on and not wait til we're on Day 4 to start figuring it all out. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your help.

G

DivaG- If you look at the page prior to the deck plans of the Dawn in the brochure, there are pictures and layouts of both the mini suite and the oceanview stateroom with balcony. You will see the additional space is in the length of the sitting area. The width of the cabin and the size of the balconies are the same.

*austin powers imitation*

YEAH BABY!!! just one thing though...the tub won't have bubbles, nor will it rock (that's where you come in). heheheheh

anyway...i know i'm still single and such. and i know i pride myself on the fact that i am a seasoned cruiser. NOT TO MENTION i feel that i have adequate intelligence to contribute to these boards, but i am still confused...

what does DD, DH, DW, and all these fancy acronyms mean when referring to your spouse, children, and perhaps favorite pet?

ok so i'm dumb...you can all jump on me for this one. 3 years on the boards and i still haven't learned those darn letters.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm the "organizer". He seems to think I'm obsessed with this cruise - but I just want to know what's going on and not wait til we're on Day 4 to start figuring it all out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you think you got it bad now? wait until you get off the ship. the anticipation of sailing and the euphoria you feel when they hand you your keycard, will be nothing when you get off the ship to a cold, damp NYC pier and experience

Cruising separation anxiety.

i tell you now...it's bad...the only known cure is another cruise.

Sounds to me that I'll have to start planning for the next cruise before we take the first one!!! icon_wink.gif

As for me rocking the tub darlin - not a problem - trust me!!! Oooooh weeeee

[anyway...i know i'm still single and such. and i know i pride myself on the fact that i am a seasoned cruiser. NOT TO MENTION i feel that i have adequate intelligence to contribute to these boards, but i am still confused...

what does DD, DH, DW, and all these fancy acronyms mean when referring to your spouse, children, and perhaps favorite pet?

ok so i'm dumb...you can all jump on me for this one. 3 years on the boards and i still haven't learned those darn letters.)]

DW - dear wife

DH - dear husband

DD - ??? I haven't the foggiest idea LOL

O.K. you guys, I am having way too much fun reading this stuff and not getting any of my work done (thank goodness I own my business). I can't stop laughing at the discussion of the bathtub (brings back memories). I recently found Cruise Critic after meeting a fellow Cruise Critic on the Star a few weeks ago. I am completely hooked. Can't wait to plan our next cruise and use this site to meet up with people.

But seriously folks, take the mini-suite! We have had both and now I don't know how we would ever have anything less. It is correct, the size difference is in the sitting area. However, the layout is a little bit different with regards to the closet (easier access) and storage space is much greater. You also get a fruit bowl on the first day.

I just gotta force myself to log off here and get some work done. But it is true, the blues hit fast when disembarking and the only fix is to start planning for the cruise.

ZoneHPH, thanks for asking the questions on DD,DH and so on. I have been wondering. Also, what happens to discussions that seem to "disappear", like the one about kids on ships. ZoneHPH, I think you and I were part of that thread and then all of a sudden, it seems to be gone. There was also one about the Star that was becoming quite rather negative (I was on the March 21 sailing, 3/4 the way to Fanning and we had the famous engine problem) and it seemed to disappear. And then, there is the Cruise from Hell. What don't I understand about these?

Although the balconies are the same width - the AF Mini is deeper - approx 1/3 larger. You can see this clearly looking up from the pier. the BA is the same size as a regular Carnival Stateroom Balcony.

What you are really paying for is that tub also. I liked the mini suite but did not find it to be spacious. On RCCL's Serenade of the Seas - a cat D 204 square ft room felt about the same size as the Dawn's 229 AF - The difference was the bathroom on Dawn is larger and takes up some of that square footage.

Be very careful selecting a cabin - making sure it is not underneath the pool or restrooms. We were under La Trattoria and are booked next year under the Garden Cafe.

Jeanne

What we've decided to do is book the Oceanview with Balcony - No. 10598 on the port side - Deck 10. Our TA is going to watch for the upgrade possibility for a mini suite. My head was hurting from trying to make up my mind. She seems positive that we'll get an upgrade for less money than if we booked the mini-suite originally.

Thanks so much for your support. I too am now "hooked" to this site. I've been reading so much and looking at so many pictures that I definitely will not get "lost". Although I do have to say - my list of things to bring is getting HUGE and there are no clothes on the list yet. Zonehph - this is not an opening for you to use to make comments. LOL

G

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Although I do have to say - my list of things to bring is getting HUGE and there are no clothes on the list yet. Zonehph - this is not an opening for you to use to make comments.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

here i am minding my own business on the boards. and G feels that i was going to pounce on her statement about her packing list that hasn't included clothes yet. NO I WAS NOT THINKING ABOUT your clothes, hun.

...i was going back about starting a thread about "how private are the balconies" on your behalf.

hehehehehe..

i kill me! is it time to go home yet?

Archived