toileteries

falkirk

You should be able to get small plastic bottles in your drug store or even WalMart. I fill those with shampoo, etc. as I don't like or can't be sure what the ship will have.

We each take one carry on now, even for 14 days. We do laundry and my husband only takes 3 pairs of pants. Who is going to know he wore the same pants two days ago? I may take a skirt which I may wear to get on board, and two different tops, likewise pants. I can't get over the huge suitcases and how many I see outside cabin doors! How many people are they dressing?

Some of us really like to have choices and to change our clothes in hot, humid weather. We like to dress formal on those nights. I cannot cruise happily on a ten day cruise with less than my permitted size roll aboard and a 27" suitcase.... DH has at least the same size bags. We share though with half of each of our clothes in both bags. If one gets lost, neither of us is stuck with nothing while the other has all their things. :) I would not be gracious if I didn't have my changes of clothes but DH did. :D

I truly tip my hat to those who can travel with a 20" bag and be content. That is just not something I can do.

You should be able to get small plastic bottles in your drug store or even WalMart. I fill those with shampoo, etc. as I don't like or can't be sure what the ship will have.

We each take one carry on now, even for 14 days. We do laundry and my husband only takes 3 pairs of pants. Who is going to know he wore the same pants two days ago? I may take a skirt which I may wear to get on board, and two different tops, likewise pants. I can't get over the huge suitcases and how many I see outside cabin doors! How many people are they dressing?

There is no possible way we could get everything into a carryone.

For starters we don't take large carry-ons -- small ones -- one is devoted to 2 medical bags because of all the medications DH takes -- the other one has camera equipment and other items I would never pack into a suitcase.

And we have to stay at a hotel before we fly -- 2 - 3 days at embarkation hotel -- a day at a hotel end of cruise and another hotel after we get off the plane before we can think about driving home. Guess you must be one of those lucky ones who just drive to the port. No ports near us.

Then of course we still dress for formal nights -- DH in tuxedo -- I have 2 formal skirts with various fancy tops.

I don't go on a cruise to spend time washing clothes - do enough of that at home.

Hi Bonnie,

Brilliant advice; will you expand it a little more please? I need to take the very minimum and I don't mind doing laundry.

Thank you.:);)

Hi Bonnie,

Brilliant advice; will you expand it a little more please? I need to take the very minimum and I don't mind doing laundry.

Thank you.:);)

Primrose- I notice that you're from Wales....most chemists will sell small bottles for toileteries, or places like £ shops.

You probably know this already, but reading the post you've answered with a UK eye....Bonnie's reply about 3 pairs of pants will mean trousers, not what we usually mean by pants....:D I'm sure she takes a big bag of those.......;)

Jo.

OK, we did get larger carry on suitcases, that expand if necessary, but they do fit in the scanner getting on the ship. We never fly so don't know if they'd fit in the overheads as carry ons on an airplane, maybe not.

For 7 days we take:

Depending on the ship my husband takes his tux, sand two bathing suits which look like shorts. He wears these on sea days and when we go to a beach or snorkeling. He takes two pairs of shorts, 2 or 3 long trousers, shirts for wear every day and polo shirts for night time wear. He never wears a shirt more then once. Then underwear, two pairs of dark socks which he will wear more than once. For shoes he takes sandels for day time wear and brown oxfords for nights plus black shoes only if he's bringing his tux. And, a night shirt to sleep in. Last cruise he put our two bottles of Tanqueray in his suitcase and could have put more in it.

I take 7 dresses for evening wear plus navy & white low heels. I wear sandels during the day. When my husband takes his tux, I bring a gown. If I wear a madras skirt to get on the ship, I may wear it for dinner the 1st night. I have white and a navy shawls I wear at night because sometimes the air conditionig can be chilly. (I bought both at Carnival's $10 store.)

Every morning I put on a bathing suit, bringing 3. I have tankerinies (SP?) that have tops that look like a tank top. I put on shorts over the bottom of the bathing suit. I bring 3, maybe 4, shorts. I also have two coverups that look like sun dresses for sea days. I only take maybe 4 tops often only wearing 1 or 2. Of course I take underwear and a night gown.

We take our own soap, toothpastes, shampoo, etc. I get two mugs/coffee cups from the buffet and take them to our bathroom. I put toothbrushes, toothpaste in one and my husband's shaving stuff in the other. Then they don't roll around on the shelf above the basin. I don't own a hairdryer but if the cabin doesn't have one ask your room steward for one.

If we do a back to back, I wash all the dirty laundry on the day new passengers get on board. But you can do laundry any time during the cruise. Newer ships have laundries with washers, dryers and irons for passengers to use. Usually $3 for washers, $3 for dryers and $1 for soap. You can send your laundry out but that is a LOT of $$$$, like $2.50 for a hankercheif, etc.

When we started cruiseing, in the 80's, there were 2 formal nights- a tux or dark suit for men, 2 informal nights when men had to wear a jacket but didn't need a tie and 3 casual nights- what everyone wears every night now! Jeans, hats & shorts were not allowed in the dining room at night and after 15 minutes the dining room would be closed and you could not come in late and, if not dressed properly, you were turned away. The captain ate, 2nd seating, evey night, in the dining room with passengers. We ate with 3 different captains and went to the shows with them. That was fun! But captains never eat in dining room or with passengers anymore.

Boy, have things changed!

And on our 1st cruise on the now dead Dolphin, every night we had new,free bottles of red & white wines on the table every night! Ships were small, 800 or then 1200 passengers and the crew got to know you and what you wanted, even in lounges. We miss those days!

If you come from the UK, you may need an adapter for your plug in electical stuff.

Know you'll have a great cruise! Let us know how it goes and how many suitcases you ended up with!

Keep Smiling...............Bonnie.......................

Archived