Photo CD price gouging??

lktomkies

I think RCI should outsource their photography to the people at Disney World who do the Phota Pass pictures. Let them swipe you card. Take the pictures, put them online for a month or 2. Give people plenty of different packages to choose from or just individual pictures. We used the Photo Pass in December and it was so easy. I would imagine that if the pictures were online and people had more time to view them, they might even sell more pictures.

Clearly the photography company on Royal is making lots of money with these prices. But indeed the Disney Photo Pass System works well and is certainly more user friendly for us.

We were on a 12 night sailing on the Mariner in May. We decided to buy the cd package toward the end of the cruise. I believe we paid $299, but it may have been $259 - I can't remember.

We had my husbands family with us, and did alot of pictures together.

So, we got several shots of all of us together with the one cd.

Next time, I plan on getting in front of that camera everytime we can. More shots to choose from!

Plus, they gave us all of the printed pictures with our cd.

The price for our disc on the freedom the week of 12/11 is $400, I would gladly take 250 over 400, I think that is just ridiculous!

It is ridiculous. And very disappointing, as I was looking forward to buying the CD and not have to worry about checking the pictures deciding which ones to purchase.

But for $500 for our cruise...just outrageous.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the unlimited photo cd was $499 on our ship for Thanksgiving week. I did the Allure 4th of July week and it was in the $200ish range! I'm so bummed!

Hello everyone!

My DH and I are doing a B2B on the Allure, November 13th thru the 27th. We are sailing alone the first week, and our four children will be joining us the second week, which is Thanksgiving week.

We decided we would purchase the photo cd only for the second week, so we could have lots of family pictures, etc.

DH just went online to purchase the cd, and for Thanksgiving week, the cd is priced at $249.94!! He then checked the price of the cd for our first week, and it is listed for $199!!! $50 more for the second week?? Why does it matter what week it is? Anybody have any ideas/explanations? Should we call and try to get them to sell it to us for $199?

Linda

I noticed the unlimited photo cd was $499 on our ship for Thanksgiving week. I did the Allure 4th of July week and it was in the $200ish range! I'm so bummed!

Gymstarr,

I feel the same way. I really wanted to have this for our trip next week and the price is just outrageous! We could pay to have someone join us as a private photographer for that price!

Okay, so it isn't price gouging, but it is annoying that those of us with

families pay more to 'make up' the profit margins for the weeks that those without families can travel on supersaver fares!

The cruise itself being so much more expensive the only weeks families can travel. We are teachers and have a family and our cruise is DOUBLE the same cruise just 3 weeks before.

Supply and Demand is not fun for those of us who are on the high demand side!

Just out of curiosity, what do you get on their photo CD that you couldn't get by taking some of your own pictures and burning them to a CD yourself?

You. Meaning the one taking the pictures.

But honestly, they do have the lighting, the backgrounds, etc. It is rather difficult getting a great picture on your own if you don't really know what you are doing. I have a pretty decent understanding of photography, and a decent camera, and I still struggle.

And actually my kids will behave better for a professional cameraman than for me.

But the price is just ridiculous and not worth it.

Just out of curiosity, what do you get on their photo CD that you couldn't get by taking some of your own pictures and burning them to a CD yourself?

You get all of the professional backdrops (all poses) and pictures captured at ports and such. If it's anything like how Carnvial did it, we ended up with the photographers doing at least 1 of each of us and then usually 2 poses as a couple. 4-5 pictures per station adds up quickly.

Archived