Galveston Hotels with Cruise Parking

dave76310

What kind of deals do you have with hotels and cruise parking nowadays? Google comes up with some links but none show all the details. We are considering signing up for the Magic Nov 27 cruise. We usually stay at exit 15 on the highway and park at lighthouse, but wondering if any good deals are available on the island. Thanks for your input!

Many of the Galveston hotels allow you to park free if you stay one night pre-cruise. Our favorite is a little 50's style motel that is CLEAN and has a great staff and a free breakfast. If you ask for the "cruise special" you get $$ off the price and a coupon good for $10 at either of the owner's two restaurants, both very close by. It is called Gaido's Seaside Inn. We are booked there in Dec. and next Feb. pre-cruise for just $50 and change per night.

Gaidos Seaside Inn gets my vote too...we stayed there on our last cruise, and will again this December. The food is very good, and the rooms are very reasonably priced. Some people think its not fancy enough, but let them go pay more elsewhere. We've stayed at 4 different places in galveston, and while all were good enough, we like Gaidos.:)

Sounds good! Site shows rates and basic room...what more do you want? I remember the restaurants...is the motel next to or between them? I presume no transportation or internet? (Not complaining...just checking!) Can the beds be pushed together? Parking sufficient and safe for those leaving their car there? Thanks!

Sounds good! Site shows rates and basic room...what more do you want? I remember the restaurants...is the motel next to or between them? I presume no transportation or internet? (Not complaining...just checking!) Can the beds be pushed together? Parking sufficient and safe for those leaving their car there? Thanks!

I'm not sure about internet. We left our car there and took a taxi to the cruise ship. The car was left in a lot near the office, on the back side of the motel ( the office is on the back side away from the road ), and we had no problems. In fact, we've left our car at 4 different hotel/motels in Galveston, and never had any issues. The restraunts are off to the side, toward the front. We really like Casey's...have eaten there on each trip to Galveston. As for the beds, we purpously chose a two bed room, as we like one to sleep on and the other to throw all our stuff on. If you do book there while cruising, be sure to mention the cruise special. The free breakfast is not much, just a few donuts and danish with coffee and juice/milk....but I guess its better than nothing. We did think the staff was friendly. We like to get a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the water.. I think the back side rooms are cheaper....but I want to be able to relax and watch the waves.

I'm not sure about internet. We left our car there and took a taxi to the cruise ship. The car was left in a lot near the office, on the back side of the motel ( the office is on the back side away from the road ), and we had no problems. In fact, we've left our car at 4 different hotel/motels in Galveston, and never had any issues. The restraunts are off to the side, toward the front. We really like Casey's...have eaten there on each trip to Galveston. As for the beds, we purpously chose a two bed room, as we like one to sleep on and the other to throw all our stuff on. If you do book there while cruising, be sure to mention the cruise special. The free breakfast is not much, just a few donuts and danish with coffee and juice/milk....but I guess its better than nothing. We did think the staff was friendly. We like to get a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the water.. I think the back side rooms are cheaper....but I want to be able to relax and watch the waves.

Why do they even call it Breakfast when it is just Donuts & Danishes. But alas that is another topic for another time.

Galveston has some great hotels along the Seawall. I dont know why you wouldnt want that GREAT view of the waves & such. Plus you can walk across the street & be on a beach possibly in a lot of locations. Also lots of other things to do up & down the seawall. Overall, Galveston is great little vacation spot. Lot better than cruising out of Long Beach or such.

Not sure about the ports in Florida as I have never been there. But that also is a different animal.

When we stayed, there were various cereals offered as well as a nice variety of pastries. There was also tea and hot chocolate as well as coffee. Good enough for me. And yes, the lower floor facing the parking lot rooms are the cheapest.

I found such a cheap rate at the Howard Johnsons I grabbed it. Anyone know of any concerns with it? Most reviews are ok. Right at 45 and Harborside...will that be a safe area to leave our prized Dodge Challenger, or should I park at Lighthouse? How much is a taxi from there? Maybe I can hitch a ride! :)

Friends stayed at the hotel near the Ferry, red roof I think.

They didn't have a shuttle so we had to transport them, what a pain that was.

If you do need parking, I highly recommend Light House. Last Sunday (11/5) Biketoberfest going on Harborside Dr, Lighthouse had two busses running. When one filled up the second was right behind it.

We saw the que for the other parking venues and then we saw the mini vans that were being used as shuttles and we will not use any other parking from now on.

I found such a cheap rate at the Howard Johnsons I grabbed it. Anyone know of any concerns with it? Most reviews are ok. Right at 45 and Harborside...will that be a safe area to leave our prized Dodge Challenger, or should I park at Lighthouse? How much is a taxi from there? Maybe I can hitch a ride! :)

Hello Dave. I have never stayed there, but I have read that the biggest complaint is railroad horns blowing early in the morning. The dodge should be OK. As far as the cab ride, maybe around $10.00 one way. Galveston cabs are high, but they drop you off at the front door.

I've only stayed in Galveston once before at the Holiday Inn Express that's further down the island on Seawall Blvd. It was clean, free continental breakfast, and you can park your car next door at the La Quinta for the duration of the cruise (I think that's the hotel's name) parking was $15 - not too bad in my opinion.

There is absolutely nothing around the HoJo. There are so many other hotel/motels to choose from that will offer transportation to the port and free parking that this would be my last choice.

Strictly my opinion as we live on the island.

We always stay at Moody Gardens and have never been disappointed. They have covered secured parking and shuttle service to and from the ship included at no additional charge. The Rainforest pyramid just had a $25 million dollar upgrade and the IMAX theater is always a good option. The pool has a swim up bar and nice hot tub (they have an indoor pool as well). During the spring or summer months we go early the day before the cruise and take the kids to Shlitterbahn. Our room rate for this trip was $169. During November and December they have a FANTASTIC holiday trail of lights display ($5.95 per person).

Is the parking free at Harbor House?

No. They charge $10 for each night you stay & then $30 for a week cruise ($40 total). Still makes it cheaper than most parking lots. Also very convenient if sailing on Carnival--a little further if on RCCL, but still very walkable. We had a group once--took one car, filled it with luggage, drove to the port--dropped off luggage--drove back to HH, parked car & then walked over to terminal.

glad to hear about the moody gardens hotel. we used to stay at the galvez. i refuse to pay for two nights to stay there. we have to come up the night before. we would be paying over one hundred dollars more for saturday night [as we would pay for two and only stay one] than we paid for very nice hotels in vancouver and anchorage. we are staying in alvin and parking at park and cruie. it will call us nearly $250.00 less than the galvez for both the hotel and parking. if we cruise out of galveston again we will give them a try. this will be our third cruise out of galveston and our sixth cruise total.

Archived