Behind the Scenes Tour

Ally9802

My husband and I are sailing on the Serenade of the Seas out of San Juan on March 3, 2012. Last year we were on a Carnival cruise where some of our dinner tablemates went on a "behind the scenes" tour of the ship. Does anyone know if this is something Royal Caribbean offers? If so, how do you get signed up for it (I know they only take a very limited number of people)?

My DH and I just came off the Allure this past Sunday. He did an "All Access Tour". He toured the galley Cooking (prep, cooking and storage) laundry area, crew area, engine room, and the bridge. It costs $ 150 per person and it is limited to 12 people. It is only given twice, at 9:00am and 9:20 am, usually on Day5/Day6, whichever is a sea day. He got a nice travel bage that I have never seen it's type before, plus a smaller bag, his own badge and a group picture.

We were one of the first cruisers (Emerald member) on board (after the Suite guests, then the Pinnacle, and the D's and D+'s), and we went right to Guest Relations and signed up. They said they were starting it on all ships, but not sure of the price on different classes of ship.

Hope this helps! - Miriam

I did the All Access Tour last week onboard the Freedom of the Seas. I had a great time, learned lots of interesting things, took some great pix and will do it again in a heartbeat. The surprise at the end of the tour was when each participant was presented a large woven RCCL tote bag, with a neat RCCL "All Access Tour" apron, Freedom of the Seas ballcap, key chain and something else, but I can't remember right now what it was.

Participants in the tour were also served a very nice lunch in the dining room mid-way through the tour....

My partner and I were invited to tour the bridge only on our Labor day cruise on the Majesty. It was free, and it was just the two of us. I don't know if there were more invites and we were the only two that showed up. We spend almost 2 hours on the bridge with lots of photos, and questions.

I did the All Access Tour last week onboard the Freedom of the Seas. I had a great time, learned lots of interesting things, took some great pix and will do it again in a heartbeat.

Cindy, you got to take your own pictures on the tour? That's awesome. On Carnival their "Behind the Fun" tour prohibits cameras or cell phones. Each person is scanned with a metal detector by security at the beginning of the tour.

We didn't take the All Access Tour this time around, it's one of the activities slated for our next sailing of Freedom.

On the Allure tour that I mentioned that my DH took on the Oct.23rd sailing, there was a letter in our cabin the day before, telling him what he was allowed to bring. There was also a release letter that he had to fill out before he (or anyone) could take the tour.

No purses, no backpacks, and no video cameras were the only items that I can remember that were not allowed. Cell phones were allowed but they had to be turned off or set to vibrate only. He took his camera, which was clearly stated as allowed and took about 75 pictures. No restrictions on any place he could take them. The group was "wanded" by security three times. First, before the tour, second, before the engine room and finally before the bridge.

As to the price, DH and I felt it was more than reasonable for the time (3 hours) that it took, all the places he got to see and the meal they had for them.

- Miriam

Yes, we were "wanded" too and were told no video-taping but yes, we were allowed to take pictures throughout the tour. We were presented a special menu at lunch from which to select our meal...each menu featured the names and signatures of every "department head" on the ship...

Archived