Viking 'Footsteps of the Cossacks' (Ukraine)

Peregrina651

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing for awhile on this cruise. Just wondering if anyone has any info. Our new Viking brochure for 2014 doesn't show this cruise, I also looked on the Viking website and it doesn't show any for 2014 either, I'm guessing that, with all the new longships, this Ukraine one has been cancelled. I just hope it doesn't affect ours in Sept 2013.

At this point, there is just no way saying anything about the 2014 sailings that isn't pure conjecture. We will have to wait and see what happens.

I would say that the 2013 cruise are set and will proceed as planned. Many of the sail dates at the end of the season appear to be completely sold out.

As for how quiet it is here, I have observed in general that there is just not a lot of activity for this itinerary. I went and posted on as many threads as I could find when I first started this thread to maybe get some past passengers to join us.

[issues with browser & connection. Hope this isn't a duplicate post.]

I'm fairly sure the 2014 cruises were listed in the 2014 brochure I received a few weeks ago, which unfortunately has gone out with the recycled paper.

This week I got an email from Viking with my seat assignment for the Vienna to IAD flight home.

My itinerary still doesn't reflect the hotel stay in Vienna - just that it was requested. I called Viking Custom Air and was told that the hotel assignments will be made between 90 and 100 days before the tour starts.

Happy New Year to everyone.

I'm fairly sure the 2014 cruises were listed in the 2014 brochure I received a few weeks ago, which unfortunately has gone out with the recycled paper.

I think that I just came across that same brochure but it listed only 2013 dates for Footsteps.

Hi. I hope this works, as message board is not clearing. Thx so much for your info on credit cards and pix of Odessa. We are going on the Viking Cossacks cruise in April 2013! I'm getting very excited. I wondered how everyone did on the little beds in standard cabins...or do you all have deluxe rooms? We have level C. Thanks for info! This is only my second River Cruise, and was a single for that one, and it was fine. Just wondering. Beds look small and so do cabins. Did you feel like you had enough room to get around in your cabin? l07 Sq feet?

Thanks for info! Great pix!

was glad to hear that you will get that strange fee back!

It's very tiresome and expensive to buy Ukrainian currency abroad.

It's better to come to Ukraine and withdraw it from the numerous ATMs

you can find on every corner (sometimes up to five on one corner).

It's not true that you have to go to a bank to withdraw some cash.

Any ATM would do. Well, almost any. You should look for a logo of

your card above the ATM, if it's there, it will work for you. Also,

make sure that your card is a "simple" card, meaning, American

Express, Visa, Master card, and not something like Visa Cirrus or Visa

Electron, for example. Because, all the ATM accept the Visa, and not

all of them - Visa Cirrus, so you will spend your spare time, galloping

from ATM to ATM and then from bank to bank to find the one which

processes them.

All you need it a card with a four digit pin code. Before you leave,

call your bank and tell them that you will be travelling overseas, so

they won't block your card when you are trying to use it abroad.

It's not true, also, that "all the large stores take euros or

dollars". In fact, paying with euros or dollars in supermarkets,

malls, shops is called "illegal trading in foreign currency" and is

punishable by law. If someone asks you to pay in dollars/euros, they

are crooks and trying to rip you off. The truth is, most of large

supermarkets and malls process major credit and debit cards. When you

enter the store, seek their logo on the door or above the check out.

Restaurants take all major cards also. You will need cash only when

you buy from souvenirs market and such.

Please, note, too, that if you want to tip someone privately, you can

give them dollars or euros (driver, guide, whomever). Purchasing from

somewhere which has a check out and paying dollars is against the

law.

As for how much you need for souvenirs, it's the question which

only you can answer. It mostly depends on what you can afford, rather

on how much. I saw very beautiful hand made things, which were sold

for 200 US! I think you should establish a budget and stick to it.

Because, there are so many nice things to buy, you will need to keep

yourself in check.

Hi. I hope this works, as message board is not clearing. Thx so much for your info on credit cards and pix of Odessa. We are going on the Viking Cossacks cruise in April 2013! I'm getting very excited. I wondered how everyone did on the little beds in standard cabins...or do you all have deluxe rooms? We have level C. Thanks for info! This is only my second River Cruise, and was a single for that one, and it was fine. Just wondering. Beds look small and so do cabins. Did you feel like you had enough room to get around in your cabin? l07 Sq feet?

Thanks for info! Great pix!

Welcome, Ocean!--both to Cruise Critic and to this thread,

What was your first river cruise? We did China with Viking in 2010 and this one with Viking in 2012.

The cabins may be small but I did not find them claustrophobic. The large window lets in plenty of light so I didn't feel like I was stuffed into a box. The beds offered a bit less space than our bed at home and the shower was an experience but since we knew what we were getting, it was easy to deal with. I did have trouble with hot water in our cabin and many is the morning that hubby took a cold shower but we are the only ones that we talked to who seemed to be having that issue--and hopefully that issue has been fixed. All in all, as long as I know what I'm getting in advance and as long as the reports are of a clean well-maintained ship, I would book 'Pullman beds and yacht-style' again without hesitation. And yes, the beds were small, at 30" they aren't as wide as a standard twin. However, my 6'1" XXL DH did not complain about the fit -- only that sharing was not a viable option. Getting around in the cabin was not bad; we were not constantly bumping into one another or the furniture. Storage space wasn't bad either. It was compactly designed but fit all that we had brought (which wasn't much really).

Well it's been 8 months since we sailed and I have finally gotten a couple of days worth of travel blog posted. I thought you might be interested in reading what I've written so far and maybe if the weather remains as cold as it has been I will continue to write rather than to venture out. I won't add a link to my signature until I have completed the blog.

I've read through this long and very informative thread and have gotten excited about the itinerary. I've been loosely planning to take this cruise in 2014 based on all of the info here so I was very disappointed to read the latest posts about Viking possibly not offereing it next year. I was just on their website and saw that it isn't listed for 2014 but I spoke with a rep and he said the itinerary is being firmed up by management and will be released soon. :D

I've read through this long and very informative thread and have gotten excited about the itinerary. I've been loosely planning to take this cruise in 2014 based on all of the info here so I was very disappointed to read the latest posts about Viking possibly not offereing it next year. I was just on their website and saw that it isn't listed for 2014 but I spoke with a rep and he said the itinerary is being firmed up by management and will be released soon. :D

Glad that someone checked with Viking. The last thing we wanted to do was to start rumors. Personally, I'm thrilled to hear that this itinerary will continue to be offered; it was a lot of fun and ideally suited to my desire for something off the beaten track yet still of the Western world. Ukraine was certainly at the crossroads of civilizations--of cultures, of ideas, of governments. Of course, there was also the thought that my family had lived there at one time and so the idea of seeing it for myself certainly added to my interest.

I have been working on my travelblog the past couple of days and I have got to say that if you can choose any date on the calendar, choose to be in Ukraine around May 9 for Victory Day and all its attending ceremonies and celebrations.

The travel blog is great so far! Keep writing.

I thought i wasn't goingto have to deal with the power and plug issue as i wasn't planningon bringing anything that needed power. Then my camera died and the boyfriend bought me a new one that does need charging.

I still don't want to get an adapter. Has anyone everuseda solarchargee? I saw one at REI for about $50. Ithink i'd use that more often than an adapter. Plus then i could bring my kindle.

I thought i wasn't goingto have to deal with the power and plug issue as i wasn't planningon bringing anything that needed power. Then my camera died and the boyfriend bought me a new one that does need charging.

I still don't want to get an adapter. Has anyone everuseda solarchargee? I saw one at REI for about $50. Ithink i'd use that more often than an adapter. Plus then i could bring my kindle.

Thanks, GCV. I am working on it slowly but surely. It has been so cold that I am happy to stay in and write. Only a bare cupboard is getting me out the door tomorrow. I wonder how my car will feel about it?

Sorry to hear about your camera. :(

I have not tried the solar chargers but if you are thinking of using one, 1) buy from a place where you can return it if it doesn't perform as claimed and 2) TEST IT OUT NOW!! How long does it take to fully charge? Does it need direct sunlight? Once charged, does the battery still perform to its full potential? How much does it weigh? I'm sure I will think of more questions

Besides which, you want to practice with the new camera before you go--even though most of them have an aim and shoot mode that does all the thinking for you, there are still buttons you will have to push.

Invest in a spare battery just to make sure that you get through the day--especially if you take as many photos in a day as I do. Plus, the constant on and off, on and off takes its toll.

Gotta say, I can't understand your reluctance to get an adapter (says the person who makes her husband/son plug in anything that might produce sparks). A plug adapter costs $10--if that much--and weighs almost nothing. You stick them on the end of the power cords that come with your camera or Kindle (or in the case of the camera, perhaps it is just a battery charger) and plug it into the wall. It can be used day or night, rain or shine (as long as you have a wall socket to plug into). Target has them in their travel section. Most electronic equipment these days can be used with 110 or 220 current, so all you need is an adapter so that the US two-blade plug will fit into the European snake eye wall socket.

tn_plug_adapter_euro_lg.png

an adapter

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaVWBwiHRysoSI0iG2C5fgo2ItQEuaDNz3hU2S7YM3KeCNh-Hqhg

a camera battery charger (ignore the plug for the car)

its the size my my palm and the plug usually folds into the charger for easy storage

usually works 110-220--just read the fine print to find out

they are not standardized; each battery type has its own charger.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcLXGhj6dNu8-hWKrJlb6yV_v9-DVGT5kiHISfSvpRSqINXAc-tw

the other kind of adapter you might want to travel with is a USB to A/C adapter. It allows you to charge a USB device from a wall socket. This is what your Kindle charges with. All you need is a plug adapter to be able to plug it into the wall.

These days, we get a free USB adapter when we buy a new phone. The secret is that they can be used with any USB device. Some of them allow you to plug in two USB cords so you can charge two devices at once. When your phone dies, save the USB adapter. If you don't already have one, you can buy them in B-Buy or Radio Shack or the like.

Pellegrina, I just took a quick look late last night at some of your photos and read some of your wonderful blogging. We are going this April and are staying in the same cabin, 337!!! So exciting to see it there! Going to read a bit more now, but thx for all of your great info!

Ocean:):D:D

Hi Pellegrina and everyone. I will be posting on here (Silkismom and all) after our cruise in April. The NIle cruise was fantastic. We flew from a couple days in Cairo, then Abu Simbal and then the big cruise up and down the Nile. It was totally incredible. The food was just okay, and I'm looking forward to Viking's superior cuisine. This was an older ship as well with small rooms. So funny that we will be in Cabin 337! I laughed when I saw that pix of yours, Pellegrina! Going to read some more of your blog now before bed, busy day at work today. Thx for the welcome! What a great community!!!! Ocean

Welcome, Ocean!--both to Cruise Critic and to this thread,

What was your first river cruise? We did China with Viking in 2010 and this one with Viking in 2012.

The cabins may be small but I did not find them claustrophobic. The large window lets in plenty of light so I didn't feel like I was stuffed into a box. The beds offered a bit less space than our bed at home and the shower was an experience but since we knew what we were getting, it was easy to deal with. I did have trouble with hot water in our cabin and many is the morning that hubby took a cold shower but we are the only ones that we talked to who seemed to be having that issue--and hopefully that issue has been fixed. All in all, as long as I know what I'm getting in advance and as long as the reports are of a clean well-maintained ship, I would book 'Pullman beds and yacht-style' again without hesitation. And yes, the beds were small, at 30" they aren't as wide as a standard twin. However, my 6'1" XXL DH did not complain about the fit -- only that sharing was not a viable option. Getting around in the cabin was not bad; we were not constantly bumping into one another or the furniture. Storage space wasn't bad either. It was compactly designed but fit all that we had brought (which wasn't much really).

Pellegrina, I just took a quick look late last night at some of your photos and read some of your wonderful blogging. We are going this April and are staying in the same cabin, 337!!! So exciting to see it there! Going to read a bit more now, but thx for all of your great info!

Ocean:):D:D

LOL -- Maybe by the time you leave I will have finished writing it! I can't tell you how much of the daily detail has been lost or just melded into a series of images that have lost their day-to-day time-frame.

Ocean -- Change your cabin! 337 had issues with the hot water. It is the only complaint I had about our cabin. Since I didn't hear any other complaints about issues in other cabins. I'm going to say that it was just something about this cabin--and since we have no way of finding out if it has really been fixed, save yourself the hassle of having to go to the front desk anytime you want to shower. Remember there are no phones in the rooms. (Or maybe I am treading on thin ice with this suggestion because I didn't talk to everybody and maybe you will end up in the same situation in another cabin. So, give it some thought).

BTW, just to play 'small world' I grew up at the other end of the 309 Expressway.

Hi, going to call my TA and change cabin. Thx so much! Also, funny you lived off of 309. We are just a few blocks off of 309! Small world! Going to read more of your blog after I call TA. Today is my day off! Have a great day and thx for the great pix. Oh, BTW, how is the bottled water? Do I see they give you some botled water daily? Is it good or repackaged?I remember they did that in Egypt. Also, can you buy bottled water at the bar???

LOL -- Maybe by the time you leave I will have finished writing it! I can't tell you how much of the daily detail has been lost or just melded into a series of images that have lost their day-to-day time-frame.

Ocean -- Change your cabin! 337 had issues with the hot water. It is the only complaint I had about our cabin. Since I didn't hear any other complaints about issues in other cabins. I'm going to say that it was just something about this cabin--and since we have no way of finding out if it has really been fixed, save yourself the hassle of having to go to the front desk anytime you want to shower. Remember there are no phones in the rooms. (Or maybe I am treading on thin ice with this suggestion because I didn't talk to everybody and maybe you will end up in the same situation in another cabin. So, give it some thought).

BTW, just to play 'small world' I grew up at the other end of the 309 Expressway.

[/font]

Hi, going to call my TA and change cabin. Thx so much! Also, funny you lived off of 309. We are just a few blocks off of 309! Small world! Going to read more of your blog after I call TA. Today is my day off! Have a great day and thx for the great pix. Oh, BTW, how is the bottled water? Do I see they give you some botled water daily? Is it good or repackaged?I remember they did that in Egypt. Also, can you buy bottled water at the bar???

Ocean, I should have said that I live in the town at the other end of 309. We did not actually live close to it but we sure traveled it a lot--day-camp, turnpike, etc. I think those day-camps are all housing developments now.

Bottled water: a fresh liter bottle is placed in your room each time you open open a new one. So you always have one in use and one that is ready to go--unless you go through more than one bottle in a day, in which case I can't tell you how it works. As you leave for an excursion, there are always bottles of water for you to grab. I'm not a big water drinker so I can't tell you if there was also water available on the buses each day. The only time that we bought water was the afternoon that we wandered around Odessa. I don't remember the price but I do remember that we had the choice of still or gas and that we asked to make sure we got still water. "Gas" --pronounced 'gahs' --is all you need to know. The water is all bottled at the packing plant. Viking does not mess around with guest health and safety.

I don't know if it is available at the bar since I never tried to buy it there.

Also, since you are in Odessa, Kiev, Sevastopol and Yalta for a couple of days each, it should be fairly easy to buy a 6 or 12 pack. If you go through a lot of bottled water it would be probably turn out cheaper to do it that way. On the other hand, there is the hassle of buying it and carting it back to the ship.

Edited by Peregrina651

A propos nothing at all, I was just thinking that I have done two Viking itineraries and that I enjoyed both of them so much that I would go on either of them again at the drop of a hat. Well for China, I am waiting for them to offer a Cultural Delights cruise with the Explorer land portion.

I love reading your blog, Pellegrina, and really appreciate all information! There is soooo much to think about.

I DID have our cabin changed to #347, and hope everything works. My TA said it was probably fixed, but why take the chance? Hopefully the others are in better shape. GOod to know their spring bottled water is clean and not boiled, like in Egypt! That was crazy, but I did find other water out at the markets of Cairo, etc. Where did you live on 309? I think you're in Boston now? Hopefully, you didn't get too much snow. We just shoveled, and only about an inch, very light and powdery. Going to look at more of your stuff now! Keep blogging and have a great weekend. thanks for all!

Madi

[/font]

Hi Peregrina,

Sorry to bother you, but I can get to your China blog, but not to the Ukraine blog. Am I doing something wrong? I got to the pix onboard the ship the other day, but now I keep getting unable to reach or blog is "closed" I'm logged in and wondering, do I need to log in or register for your blog? I could see someone else's pix and blog from 2009, forget his name, but lovely blog. Just let me know, would LOVE to read! Thx.

Madi (Ocean999)

ch

Why aren't you taking advantage of the free night in Vienna, if you fly Austrian? Leaves Odessa about 3P-1hr flt--next morning 10:30 nonstop to IAD. Not sure how good Austrian is but it can't be much worse than UA or AA.

Just wanted to note, Silkismom and everyone, that we are scheduled to get back to Phila, to go Odessa-overnight in Vienna-Toronto-Phila. I think that should work!:cool:

Just realized, Perigrina, that I was addressing you incorrectly. Sorry! I got it now! Now, If I can only find your blog! Ocean, I should have said that I live in the town at the other end of 309. We did not actually live close to it but we sure traveled it a lot--day-camp, turnpike, etc. I think those day-camps are all housing developments now.

Bottled water: a fresh liter bottle is placed in your room each time you open open a new one. So you always have one in use and one that is ready to go--unless you go through more than one bottle in a day, in which case I can't tell you how it works. As you leave for an excursion, there are always bottles of water for you to grab. I'm not a big water drinker so I can't tell you if there was also water available on the buses each day. The only time that we bought water was the afternoon that we wandered around Odessa. I don't remember the price but I do remember that we had the choice of still or gas and that we asked to make sure we got still water. "Gas" --pronounced 'gahs' --is all you need to know. The water is all bottled at the packing plant. Viking does not mess around with guest health and safety.

I don't know if it is available at the bar since I never tried to buy it there.

Also, since you are in Odessa, Kiev, Sevastopol and Yalta for a couple of days each, it should be fairly easy to buy a 6 or 12 pack. If you go through a lot of bottled water it would be probably turn out cheaper to do it that way. On the other hand, there is the hassle of buying it and carting it back to the ship.

[/font]