Viking 'Footsteps of the Cossacks' (Ukraine)

Peregrina651

Do youi think the Petrov. dolls, nesting dolls will be cheaper THERE or online? I'm seeing them for about $10-35 with shipping. Thanks!

Ocean, I have no idea. We did not even price nesting dolls since we had bought them on a trip to Russia. There are some style difference between the Russian dolls and the Ukrainian. They talked about it when they did the shopping lecture. Let me see how much I remember. One difference was that, in the Ukrainian dolls, each doll is different while for the traditional Russian dolls each doll is the same.

Altiva, Thanks so much for all of this terrific info! It sounds wonderful! I don't know if we will be able to go, but I did hear that he lived near 5 mountain ranges, so it very likely is what you're talking about! I will look at the pix and again, thx so much for all this very fascinating info!

Ocean

Altiva, Thanks so much for all of this terrific info! It sounds wonderful! I don't know if we will be able to go, but I did hear that he lived near 5 mountain ranges, so it very likely is what you're talking about! I will look at the pix and again, thx so much for all this very fascinating info!

Ocean

hi Ocean,

you are welcome. You can get an overnight train from Odessa to Lviv,

go around the city during the day time, then catch the evening train

to Odessa and be back in the morning. Of course, you can see one city

only.

I thought that maybe you meant a mountain Petros in Carpathian

mountains. It's the second highest mountain in Carpathian, the

first one being Goverla. The height of Petros is 2020 meters.

People come there to hike. They start from

either village called Kvasy or from a village called Lazeshchina.

It's possible that your grandfather lived in one of them. Possibly,

someone remembers him or there maybe distant relatives. Or graves of

the distant relatives. If you ever make it to there, never mention

Russians or the fact that you learned Russian words to travel to

Ukraine, people won't like it.

Here is the link for the Petors mountain hiking site, in Ukrainian,

but you can look through the photos:

http://snap.com.ua/uk/travel/gora-petros

Here is a sample tour "Castles of Western Ukraine", in Ukrainian,

also to look at photos:

http://khotyn-tour.com.ua/tyru-po-ukraini/632-2009-02-14-12-10-32.html

A blog in Ukrainian about this tour, with photos:

http://pohid.blogspot.com/2011/05/blog-post.html

All the castles of Ukraine, in Ukrainian, photos:

http://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%97%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%BA%D0%B8_%D0%A3%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%97%D0%BD%D0%B8

I forgot to mention another resort in Carpathian area, called

Morshin. It's a resort with mineral waters as well. Like Trusavets,

they produce bottled mineral water, you can buy it in supermarkets,

with gas, with a lot of gas and still.

http://morshyn-rada.gov.ua/index.php?option=com_datsogallery&Itemid=38

I noticed, too, that many enterprising tour agency are advertising "A

Valentine day in a romantic castle" and "A Woman's Day in a romantic

castle". So, you see, it's a quite popular area.

If I didn't say it earlier, I want to comment how much I really enjoyed Lilia, our Viking guide in Kiev (on our post-cruise extension). She did a very good job. She showed us lots of places and she was very knowledgeable about the city and its history and about the places she was showing us.

If I didn't say it earlier, I want to comment how much I really enjoyed Lilia, our Viking guide in Kiev (on our post-cruise extension). She did a very good job. She showed us lots of places and she was very knowledgeable about the city and its history and about the places she was showing us.

Could Lilia speak Ukrainian?

Some of the items available in the ship's giftshop:

ry%3D480

Are those napkins and table runners on the right of the picture? I always try to buy things like that. Did you see any pot holders or dish towels like what's on the table.

Most importantly, what about blouses like the one in the picture?

In other news, I had a 'wake up call' regarding my Atm card yesterday when I slid it into an atm on the way to work at 0630 and the machine ate my card without even letting me input my pin! I had to leave it there and go back for it hours later. I had to speak to a teller and fill out a form to get my card back!

Imagine if that had happened in Ukraine!

Is there no way to get Ukrainian currency in the US? Maybe from going on the cruise in the spring who could bring some back and sell it to me?

Are those napkins and table runners on the right of the picture? I always try to buy things like that. Did you see any pot holders or dish towels like what's on the table.

Most importantly, what about blouses like the one in the picture?

In other news, I had a 'wake up call' regarding my Atm card yesterday when I slid it into an atm on the way to work at 0630 and the machine ate my card without even letting me input my pin! I had to leave it there and go back for it hours later. I had to speak to a teller and fill out a form to get my card back!

Imagine if that had happened in Ukraine!

Is there no way to get Ukrainian currency in the US? Maybe from going on the cruise in the spring who could bring some back and sell it to me?

These are Russian souvenirs, I am not sure if they are made in

Ukraine or where specifically imported from Russia to sell on this

cruise to give it even more Russian feel. You can buy much more

interesting and authentic things on Sobornaya square in Odessa and in

Adryivsky spusk in Kyiv. The embroidered top is called vyshivanka.

It's a part of a national Ukrainian costume. It can be made for men

and women. The woman on the photo is wearing a rather generic

version, there are different type of embroidery and even different

length (some of them are made to be worn all the way down the skirt,

with the embroidered hemline visible. Regardless, they can be pricey,

starting with 50 US and more.

You should not worry about Ukrainian currency. It's expensive and

very cumbersome to buy it abroad. If you don't want to use your cards

in local ATMs, bring some US cash with you, and then change it in any

exchange. In fact, there is a currency exchange right in Odessa sea

port. It gives you a fair rate, too (not too low, as they like to do

it in ports and airports). You take your passport, your cash, and put

it into that window:

normal_IMG_4198.JPG

If you plan on exchanging it back again, ask for a form № 377 (since

you are not a resident). If you plan on spending it all, don't bother.

GCV, sorry I don't have an answer for you. I do believe that what is on the table are napkins, runners and maybe place-mats but I wasn't shopping for such items and did not tend to pay attention to what was available. However, we saw embroidered items everywhere we went.

You should be able to order foreign currency thru your local bank. Depending on where you are, sometimes it can take up to two weeks. Before my daughter and I took our trip to Holland, Russia, England and France, we ordered Euros, British Pounds and Roubles. We did use the foreign ATMs to suppliment our cash supply, but was glad to have some ready cash available in each place. The little bit we had left over at the end of our trip made fun souvenirs for loved ones (and ourselves).

Beautiful pictures, Altiva, thanks so much for posting them. I don't think spending $50+ US for a hand embroidered blouse is too much. When buying souveniers, I look for 'things that won't break,' that's why I started collecting napkins, dish towels, etc. several trips ago. The nesting dolls will be good for my 3 grandaughters, I'll find something to do with horses for my grandson, who will be 7 by then, and my boyfriend will look good in a Ukrainian shirt, it will complement his English-Irish-Scottish good looks! I'm going to check out American Express currency exchange before I go. I'd like to have at least some local currency to start. Are the instructions at the ATMs at the Kiev airport also in English as well as Ukrainian? Waiting to get to Odessa to exchange money is not an option, as I'm starting in Kiev.

Beautiful pictures, Altiva, thanks so much for posting them. I don't think spending $50+ US for a hand embroidered blouse is too much. When buying souveniers, I look for 'things that won't break,' that's why I started collecting napkins, dish towels, etc. several trips ago. The nesting dolls will be good for my 3 grandaughters, I'll find something to do with horses for my grandson, who will be 7 by then, and my boyfriend will look good in a Ukrainian shirt, it will complement his English-Irish-Scottish good looks! I'm going to check out American Express currency exchange before I go. I'd like to have at least some local currency to start. Are the instructions at the ATMs at the Kiev airport also in English as well as Ukrainian? Waiting to get to Odessa to exchange money is not an option, as I'm starting in Kiev.

Thank you, Grandcruisevirgin. Wait, then, I will post some more. Embroidered on a home weaved cloth!

When you use ATM, on the screen, it says "Select the language" and little flags. Then you select your language and proceed. Make sure before you start that there is a logo of your card on the ATM.

People in vyshyvankas, children, teens, adults, seniors, Independence Day.

normal_17~0.jpg

This is a long vyshivanka, as long as a dress, with the embroidery on the hem. The woman wears

it as a dress, in fact, you should put a skirt over it.

normal_16~1.jpg

normal_15~3.jpg

normal_14~1.jpg

Edited by altiva