Viking 'Footsteps of the Cossacks' (Ukraine)

Peregrina651

These are corali. It's a necklace, originally made from red corals. Women wore them over vyshyvankas, and in the centre, those who could afford it, had a ducat - a heavy golden coin. These are made from wood, so they are kind of fake. :-))) I saw those made from real corals and they were about 5 to 10 euros each - but I don't have a photo.

The woman's costume without corals is not complete.

normal_20~0.jpg

This is pottery, and on the background, there are plahtas. Married women wore these headscarves along with the traditional costumes. It was indecent for a married woman to show her hair, long ago. The black one you did not wear unless someone in your family died or you were like a thousand years old. I think they make black, because tourists are crazy about this colour. Traditionally, black colour is considered back luck and is worn only for funerals and such.

normal_19~1.jpg

How do you clean them, is there a problem with the colors running? I can just hear DH, if you don't know where it will go (in the house) or where you will wear it--you won't get it!

hi silkismom, sure, you can wash them! Normally they should not run. You wash them in a washing machine, in cold water, like any blouse. I heard the sellers telling people that it would not run, but, then, they were trying to sell them. If of a good quality, normally, you should treat it as an ordinary cotton blouse, and not as a foreigner.

You can wear them with jeans, skirts, suits, even shorts.

Edited by altiva

Folklore group wears national costumes

Ukrainian folk group in Ukrainian costumes. You see that the women

wear headbands, and they attached flowers to them. Traditionally,

they should have put plahtas (bit head scarves) on, to cover their

hair, not flowers. But, of course, it does not matter nowadays, so they wear what

they want.

normal_25.jpg

normal_26~0.jpg

How do you clean them, is there a problem with the colors running? I can just hear DH, if you don't know where it will go (in the house) or where you will wear it--you won't get it!

OMG! He sounds just like my husband! Where are we going to put it? If we can't figure that out then we aren't going to buy it.

So glad I don't have one of those DH people around to monitor my shopping anymore! I have an embroidered blouse from Mexico which I wash by hand and then drip dry so it doesn't have to be ironed. I would bet that the threads used in Ukraine are similar to those used in Mexico or else the people there wouldn't wear them.

So glad I don't have one of those DH people around to monitor my shopping anymore! I have an embroidered blouse from Mexico which I wash by hand and then drip dry so it doesn't have to be ironed. I would bet that the threads used in Ukraine are similar to those used in Mexico or else the people there wouldn't wear them.

You are right, Grandcruisevirgin. Here is a video, showing how students wear them to school, beacause they like them, students of all nations and colours:

Here is a guide, a businessman and a waitress, and a young woman explain why they decided to wear vyshyvankas as their everyday clothes:

hi people,

February 21 is an International tourist guide day.

It's a great opportunity for you to send greetings and nice wishes

to your guides, thanking them for their efforts. They'll appreciate

your thanks and will try even harder to make your stay in their

countries even better.

This question came up on another thread and I thought that I would mention it here.

Someone asked about traveling with a CPAP. I responded that if you have one you should contact Viking in advance of sailing to make any arrangements that might be needed (such as if you need distilled water). You need accurate information and it should come directly from Viking and not from your buddies on Cruise Critic. This goes for anyone with special needs.

Guests who have any medical, physical or other special needs should check the
on our website to gain an understanding of the layout of any particular ship, and should contact Viking River Cruises, Inc., at 1-877-668-4546 (1-877-66VIKING) directly with additional questions and to obtain a copy of our Policy Statement.

Edited by Peregrina651

My 2013 - 2014 Viking catalog arrived today. I'm going to keep this one, even though I'm not planning another trip right now.

The only dates left for the 2013 Footsteps of the Cossacks are May 2, June 4, 15, & 26, July 7, 18, & 29 and Aug 9.

The only cabin categories left for those dates are AX, BX, CX, C and D.

The cruise I'm on - September to October must be full.

Still no dates for 2014. My prediction/guess is that Viking plans to replace the Lomonosov in 2014.