Viking 'Footsteps of the Cossacks' (Ukraine)

Peregrina651

Kamyanets-Podilsky is an ancient Ukrainian town. It was founded in

12 century, obtained Magdeburg rights in 1347. Now, it's famous for

its old fortress, old town centre, Guildhall, cathedral, and an Art

museum and an archeological exhibition.

It's about 8 hours drive from Odesa. If you want to tour

Kamyanets-Podilsky, you will need an overnight stop (they have really

nice hotels down there).

What: Kamyanets-Podilsky, old town, old fortress.

When: whenever you got there.

Where: Kamyanets-Podilsky, Khmelnytskyi Oblast, Ukraine

Ukraine - breathtakingly beautiful.

kamyanetspodilsky2.jpg

kamyanetspodilsky4.jpg

kamyanetspodilsky3.jpg

More photos here:

http://odessainterpreters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=11

Someone asked about decaf and herbal tea on board.

Decaf for sure at the coffee station and in the dining room but I don't remember about herbal teas. Bring your own artificial sweetener; there are only saccharine tabs on board. There is also hot chocolate at the 24 hour station.

ry%3D400

You will need a plug adapter for charging your electronics. Read the charging device/A/C adapter to make sure that it operates on 220V current. Most such devices these days are dual current but you should double check just to make sure that you don't need an electrical CONVERTER as well as a plug adapter. But, don't use a converter if your device is already dual current.

This is the kind of adapter you will need. It is the prongs that are the important part not the design of the plastic part.

21izAYa7vzL.jpg

Edited by Peregrina651

While we are on the topic, this is the plug in your room. There might be a 110v outlet in the bathroom but I don't like using them so I don't really pay attention to them.

If you are bringing devices with American style 3-prong grounded plugs, you will need a different adapter than the one I pictured above. It will need to have three holes for the 3 prongs but still only two prongs to fit into the socket.

ry%3D400

We've just received Viking's new brochure for 2014 Footsteps.

New ship

New prices

That's why they didn't print 2013 and 2014 together, must be better rooms on the new ship- Much more expensive.

Right! With Pullman beds and yacht-styled showers in most of the cabins, the itinerary could not be billed--or priced--as 'deluxe.'

HaS ANYONE BOOKED THE ROUTE OF THE COSSACKS RECENTLY? I AM NOW A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT GOING BECAUSE IT IS EXPENSIVE WITHOUT MANY AMENITIES?

Please be more specific. Your question is too general. What amenities are you talking about? Which amenities do you think are missing?

Price is relative and trying to decide if a certain product is too expensive is a fruitless discussion. It's a personal decision. If you don't think that this cruise line is providing value for its money, then you should pick another provider or another destination. If you are looking for some reassurance then you should read the rest of this thread.

If you have specific questions about the cruise, we will be happy to answer them for you.

If you are concerned about this cruise line, then perhaps this article about Viking and its owner will help you.

HaS ANYONE BOOKED THE ROUTE OF THE COSSACKS RECENTLY? I AM NOW A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT GOING BECAUSE IT IS EXPENSIVE WITHOUT MANY AMENITIES?

I booked this cruise more than a year ago for September 2013. I talked to a travel agent and Viking has a good reputation.

I did a trans Atlantic cruise last year on a big ship with a spa, hair salon, and gym I didn't use and I was bored on the sea days.

This itinerary suits me, to each his own. Plus, Ukraine interests me as that's where my family is from. I'm excited about this cruise.

We must book by Wednesday.

Viking has an excellent reputation; however, the ship that is used for Russia is under Russian dominion and there have been issues with service and with the updating of the cabins. Of course price is relative; however, one deserves good value. Remember, please, that once in Russia, there is no recourse for difficulties incurred.

Well, I just looked at the picture of the cabin with the Pullman beds---no thank you. Unless the ship has been refurbished, it is very dated when compared to the other Viking vessels. Would like to see what the upgraded cabins look like.

It's more about value than price!

I have only heard great things about VIKING! I'm so excited to be going in l2 days!!!! I won't be able to write on CC board while I"m away, but will promise to write when I return in early May. So, I guess this ship will be replaced by a new Longship??? I have to read my brochures...I'm working too much, I imagine...Gotta go make up my packing list!!!

We must book by Wednesday.

Viking has an excellent reputation; however, the ship that is used for Russia is under Russian dominion and there have been issues with service and with the updating of the cabins. Of course price is relative; however, one deserves good value. Remember, please, that once in Russia, there is no recourse for difficulties incurred.

Yes, Viking has an excellent reputation and that reputation extends to its cruise in Ukraine, even though the accommodations are not the deluxe cabins that are found on most of the other ships in the Viking fleet. The Lomonosov is an older ship and its cabins reflect that. However, the style of the cabins does not affect the service on the ship or the quality of the food, which are both up to Viking's high standards.

There are some deluxe cabins on the Lomonosov--or you can wait to sail in 2014 when there will be a different ship, the Viking Sinueus, a newly refurbished vessel with verandas in its deluxe cabins. Information about the 2014 sailings is now available on their website.

Russia is a different country. This cruise is in Ukraine and any problems that are being reported on the cruises in Russia have nothing to do with this cruise.

Book in haste; repent at leisure. If you have so many doubts, perhaps this is not the right cruise for you.

Edited by Peregrina651

We were on the older ship in 2012. WE had no issues and were 1000% satisfied with the excursions, food and staff.

We also sailed on the early Russia river cruise with the "yacht" showers and fixed beds on the walls.

There is probably no better way to see the Ukraine along the Dnieper than a river cruise, but river cruises are not "cruiseships"

Hiya all, Getting very excited about our upcoming river cruise on the Dnieiper and Black Sea! I have a question: I went to the bank today to make sure all my credit cards and debit cards and alerts that we would be in Ukraine. He said to try and just use ATMs in Frankfurt and Kiev airports, as there was a LOT of fraud crime at this time in Eastern Europe. Any th oughts?

Also, Peregrina and others, who recently took this trip 2012, were you able to use US $$ or Euros in the Ukraine? My bank guy thought that US cash might work too... Any thoughts???

Hiya all, Getting very excited about our upcoming river cruise on the Dnieiper and Black Sea! I have a question: I went to the bank today to make sure all my credit cards and debit cards and alerts that we would be in Ukraine. He said to try and just use ATMs in Frankfurt and Kiev airports, as there was a LOT of fraud crime at this time in Eastern Europe. Any th oughts?

Also, Peregrina and others, who recently took this trip 2012, were you able to use US $$ or Euros in the Ukraine? My bank guy thought that US cash might work too... Any thoughts???

YUP, Lots of them!

We left home with only dollars in our pockets. We did not try to buy UAH before we left because the mark up and fees we have to pay is tantamount to theft. We got hryvnias (UAH, pronounced gryvnias), the Ukrainian currency, at the Odessa airport while we waited for everyone to get their checked luggage and then a few more times along the way--always from ATM inside a bank and never from a free standing machine; the guides always knew where to find a good machine. We had no trouble getting the money and we no issues with fraud or theft of our card number. If you are careful about how and where you use your ATM card, you should have no trouble.

We have a separate account that we use for traveling. It is not attached to our regular checking and savings accounts and it has its own ATM card. We keep only enough money to cover our trip's cash expenses --and certainly no more cash than we can afford to have stolen from us (it is not covered by insurance or by the bank; if it is stolen it is GONE). ATM/debit cards do not offer the same fraud protections that do credit cards; if some one gets your ATM card, they can wipe out your whole account. We only use a CREDIT CARD for purchases, one that does not charge a foreign transaction fee. If the card is stolen, we are protected. (On the other hand, I could get cash using my credit card but once again I refuse to have to pay the fees and interest that is charged so we travel with both credit card and ATM card).

BTW, some of the machines charged fees--and guess what? I paid them without complaining because who wants to waste time hunting for a machine that doesn't when one is traveling.

Personally, we tend to use only local currency when traveling and will use dollars or euros only if the vendor makes an offer in something other than the local currency (like in China, "one dollah, one dollah"). But that is a personal thing and many people disagree with me. We tipped the crew in hryvnias. I drove my husband nuts over it but we tipped in hryvnias.

IMHO, there is no need to get euros for this trip since you are going to have to pay to get them (either a fee or higher exchange rate) and dollars will be equally as accepted by those vendors who are willing to accept foreign currency in the first place. Most places in the Euro-zone airports will accept credit cards for any purchases you might want to make during your layover/transfer (we actually did not make any).

If you are worried about cash fraud and scams, always pay to the nearest whole number that you can. Don't spend a dollar and use a twenty because you could get 19 useless counterfeit bills in return.

You don't have to go to your bank to let them know that you will be traveling. Just call the number on the back of your card and tell them that you will be traveling and want to make sure that you won't have any problems while you are away. While you are at it, copy down the call collect number for the bank in case you run into any problems while you are traveling.

See wikipedia article on the hryvnia.

Our experience flying from Odessa-Istanbul-JFK in 2011 was not as described by the Istanbul Airport Website. Our luggage was not checked through to our final destination, but only to Istanbul; as a result we had to obtain a Turkish Visa and clear Passport Control before being allowed into baggage claim to retrieve our luggage before we could continue to the ticket counter to check in for the continuation of our flight. Fortunately we had plenty of time between connections that it didn't poise a problem for the eight of us traveling separately in the same situation.

Our TA verified with Viking twice before the trip that obtaining a Visa would not be required because of her past experiences of traveling to the area and warned us that she was not comfortable with the information provided to her. As a result of the misinformation Viking reimbursed our Visa cost as well as providing a generous credit toward a future trip.

The situation may have changed at the Odessa Airport since 2011, but I would be very wary. Odessa Airport was very lax...my wife and I cleared passport control in different lanes with our passports swapped.

Kohola,

Thank you so much for sharing your account. I will certainly fly via a European route.

Dr. Kit

Aloha, so sad you had to go thru this! I'm going to call Austrian Air (even though I know it's part of Europe and make sure that it's not crazy there. I guess it should be okay, but now I've heard a few horror stories about airports in Kiev and Odesa. Not fun at all! Glad we leave right from Viking,but I'm going to check on the return. My DH will kill me if something like this happens to me and will never take Viking again....

Peregrina, I have copied out for our trip most of your wonderful blog. it's just fantastic, and with such short a time in Kiev, it will be great to take the Funicular, and to KNOW about it through you! Thx again for all!

Updates on the trip, stand by in early May or so...