Extra excursion in Ketchikan or explore the town?

Alaska_2012

We have already booked a float plane trip with Seawind for our July 2012 trip. Our flight time is 11:15 (we will be in Ketchikan from 10am-6pm). I am also looking at doing a kayaking excursion. That company (Ketchikan Kayak Co.) said they could pick us up at Seawind and assured me they would have us back to the ship by 5:30.

My question is, would those of you who have been to Alaska prefer the extra excursion or time to walk around and explore the town. Thanks!

I would recommend one excursion and leave some time to explore Ketchikan. It's a neat town with lots to see-- all within walking distance of the cruise ships. Don't miss shopping on Creek Street, take the funicular up for gorgeous views and stop to see the salmon ladder. Ketchikan was one of my favorite towns for exploring, and if you take two excursions, you won't have time to see the town.

It's not all within walking distance of the cruise ship dock. If that's all you see in Ketchikan you are missing about 92% of the town. If you have the extra time see if you can book one of the taxi cab tours and get out away from the cruise ship dock.

It's not all within walking distance of the cruise ship dock. If that's all you see in Ketchikan you are missing about 92% of the town. If you have the extra time see if you can book one of the taxi cab tours and get out away from the cruise ship dock.

You will miss a lot if you don't explore Ketchikan and the suggestion of taking one of the cab tours is an excellent suggestion. The Totem Bight area and rainforest are two very interesting places to visit and the town center has a lot to offer - so don't miss it.

B. Cole

What ever you choose, you are "missing" something. I don't agree with the "one" tour, if you have the desire and interest to kayak. The vendor has told you it is doable and they will have you back in time. Alaska vendors know what their scheduling will allow, and you don't see any "I missed the ship" reports. :)

Both your ideas are very doable, will depend which you prefer the most???

Can you just book a taxi cab tour right at the dock? Does anyone know how much they ususally cost? We planned on doing the 2 mile walking tour on our own when we are there because we've been there before, but we also really want to go back to Totem Bight.....the taxi tour might be a good way to get around.

Can you just book a taxi cab tour right at the dock? Does anyone know how much they ususally cost? We planned on doing the 2 mile walking tour on our own when we are there because we've been there before, but we also really want to go back to Totem Bight.....the taxi tour might be a good way to get around.

Yes, you can get a taxi "tour", BUT, you are setting yourself up for a random unknown "guide". I would, at the least, try and interview over the phone and have some kind of plan in place. I highly recommend Lois of Classic tours (or similar), for a guided tour of Ketchikan.

Yes, you can get a taxi "tour", BUT, you are setting yourself up for a random unknown "guide". I would, at the least, try and interview over the phone and have some kind of plan in place. I highly recommend Lois of Classic tours (or similar), for a guided tour of Ketchikan.

She would be my recommendation as well. Top notch and lots of fun!

http://www.classictours.com/

Archived