Leaving lax to isp-ny - any suggestions?

Diamond60

:(Has anyone ever taken a flight out of LA to ISP (MacArthur Airport on Long Island)? There are no flights out of LA to ISP after 11:30am. Hope we're able to catch our flight in time. JFK and Laguadia is about 2 hrs. from our home. MacArthur Airport is only 10 minutes from our house. We usually book our flights in and out of ISP whenever possible. I was concerned about the ship going through customs after it arrives in LA. How long does it take for Customs to clear the ship? Hopefully we'll be able to disembark by 9:30. Anyone familiar with this process? All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

:(Has anyone ever taken a flight out of LA to ISP (MacArthur Airport on Long Island)? There are no flights out of LA to ISP after 11:30am. Hope we're able to catch our flight in time. JFK and Laguadia is about 2 hrs. from our home. MacArthur Airport is only 10 minutes from our house. We usually book our flights in and out of ISP whenever possible. I was concerned about the ship going through customs after it arrives in LA. How long does it take for Customs to clear the ship? Hopefully we'll be able to disembark by 9:30. Anyone familiar with this process? All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

I have not made that flight, but you should have ample time unless Immigrations and Customs decide to stall the disembarkation. Walk-off is the earliest group to get off the ship, but if you check luggage you will be a little later. You may want to check if the bags program is available for your airline. That will allow you to walk off earlier.

The trip from San Pedro to LAX is about 30 to 40 minutes.

When we disembarked in San Pedro (Star-Mexican Riv cruise , 2009) we were at the airport by 9:15am, we had an 11:30am flight. taxi readily available, this was on a Saturday, so traffic was not during a "rush hour". If you get off on a weekend day, your chances are better for a quick trip to LAX. BUt anything can go wrong to delay getting off the Ship or an unforseen traffic pile up, and also "the sky can fall". Hope this helps a little!

Your cruise docks at the LA cruise port? That is in the port at San Pedro, and is a minimum of 20 minutes (by Google Maps) from the LAX airport, over two of the most heavily traveled freeways in the LA basin (110 & 405).

Unfortunately, if there's one thing you can count on in LA, it's that traffic will be awful and any drive you make will take longer than you expect, no matter what the day or time. I think that 20 minutes could be very optimistic.

If everything goes smoothly at the port, and you can be one of the first off the ship, you should be ok. If you're on NCL (and I assume you are or you would have posted on another board) and can use the "carry your own bags off" program, you should be the first off the ship. Use a car service if possible for door to door service - you don't want to have to wait on NCL's airport transfer buses to fill up before you leave.

We disembarked in LA in Feb of this year. Easy walk off was suppose to start at 8:30. I believe it was about 20 minutes late. Not sure if that had to do with customs not being ready or because we had a lady being walked off in handcuffs :eek:.

They were very quick and efficient in the customs area to process everyone.

Sorry can't help regarding the transfer between San Pedro and LAX since we went on a booked excursion after our cruise. Going in the opposite direction from LAX to San Pedro took us a good 30 minutes, I believe.

Thats probably one port I wouldn't want to have to meet an early flight for. I know in our heavy traffic highways up here, if there happens to be an accident it can slow things up tremendously on a transfer that distance.

We just stayed in LA close to the airport and caught a flight the following morning.

Last mont, we left the San Pedro pier and were at LAX, 25 minutes later. We left the Sapphire Princess about 8:30-8:45 a.m. Traffic was light as it was a Saturday morning. Went in a cab.

Well I guess it is a safe bet, that if all the stars are aligned (no unforseen circumstances, ie accident), that the OP can count on 20-30 minutes for the drive.

Diamond 60, there are three factors you have to have go well for an 11:30 flight: customs/disembarkation, the freeways to LAX and TSA at LAX. (I just posted something similar on our Roll Call)

Getting off in LA can go very smoothly or it can go very slowly. We've had two times in LA that were really bad. If you chose to do the self-disembarkation you'll be among the first off the ship and that would help in this area.

We are arriving on a Tuesday morning, so the freeways can be very slow until 10 am or anytime if there's an accident. You have very little control over that situation.

Then at LAX, if TSA gets jammed up, and at times it really does, that will slow you down. You really want at least 1 to 1-1/2 hours before your flight time to get through TSA at LAX.

If all three went well you'd be off the ship by 9, to the airport by 9:30 two hours before your flight. Excellent! However, if all three did not go well it could be an anxious stressful end to a wonderful 17 days. Personally, I wouldn't, but if you do I hope it works out the best possible way.

Well I guess it is a safe bet, that if all the stars are aligned (no unforseen circumstances, ie accident), that the OP can count on 20-30 minutes for the drive.

You are right about unforseen... In March we cruised Carnival from Long Beach. Imagine our surprise when we woke up and realized we were docked in San Pedro, (due to equipment problems in LB). Luckily we called a friend who lives minutes from the SP pier. But all of the other folks had to be shuttled to LB.

You really just never know.

We have been on nine cruises, de-embarkation went very smooth on 8 cruises, our last cruise in San Diego we were suppose to be off the ship at 8:30 am, We did not get off unitl 11am. People warned me but I still booked a flight to early because I did not want to waste a whole day traveling across country, it was a disaster, (a great financial expense) of course we missed our flight and were not able to get out until the next day.

In the future, if we get off at 8:30am, I will book a flight after 2pm.

Archived