Bridge games on Princess?

juana39

Hi.

Does anyone know what ships/cruise lengths on Princess have sanctioned bridge games? I'll be on the Grand in the Med in May/June and wondering if there would be a bridge director on board. It's such a port intensive cruise, maybe not.

Joan

I've been on Princess cruises when I read in the Patters that there was a bridge game being held at a certain time. I think it depends on the interest, so you should make a point of seeing the CD and asking how to go about getting a group together when you board. Since I don't play bridge, I don't know the specifics. But if there is an interest, I'm sure the ship will try to put interested parties together even if it is just an informal meeting.

There is usually a bridge director onboard so there are lectures in the morning and duplicate bridge in the afternoon on sea days. However, we have been on Princess cruises that there is no bridge director and they have a staff member to organize play, which isn't very much fun.

Normally any cruise of more than seven days will have a director on board. I called Princess to double check. If you do however, specify that the director is only needed for the game! The sweet young thing that I spoke to seemed to think that I wanted to oversee the captain. :D john

Hi All,

What Geejay says is correct. "Bridge Players" need their games. Hubby would forego shore, expecially if previously visited, to play duplicate. Usually Bridge Director has assistant, spouse frequently, to fill in the play and assist with scoring.

Bridge directors (at least on Princess) do report to the CD. Not sure how it works on other lines. On our last Silversea cruise, hubby bid, played and made 7NT contract with Bridge Director. We have friends who are doing (Bridge directing) on the Queen Mary for the month of May. On longer cruises, there are typically many Life Masters.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shannon

I haven't played in any sanctioned games on our Princess cruises--just informal games. I played in a sanctioned game on the Century a few months ago. It was wild. The directors were a married couple. They were very nice. When I first showed up, the wife said she would play with me if no one else showed up without a partner. Unfortunately, a woman came in a few minutes later wanting to play. She had played party bridge but never duplicate--and it had been a long time since she had played any bridge. On the very first hand, she opened 1 diamond, 1 responded a heart, our opponents got into the bidding with spades, my partner supported my hearts, and I bid game. She raised me to five, thinking hearts was a minor suit instead of a major suit. When dummy came down, she had 4 HCP. Down two.

At another table, I was playing in a club partial. When she put down the dummy, there were only 11 cards. My RHO had the two extra cards. The director took the board back to the table that had played it right before us to fix. We ended up in the same contract after he brought the cards back. We miraculously had a 48 percent game that afternoon.

Geoherb,

Thanks for the laugh...I am ROFLMAO. I hope your p opened 1D in 3rd seat white vs. red. ROFL. You are a much better person than I. Upon seeing dummy I don't think I could have kept it together to play a card. I'd probably STILL be in my cabin counting to a zillion.

We travel with friends who also play duplicate...so if no bridge on board...we do our own thing. On occasion when the directors didn't control the arguing that can erupt, we were able to find a nice quiet corner to play any time we wished.

There was a director on the Sapphire last summer. Since that ship has no card

room, they played in one of the dining rooms...not as much fun. The Island and Coral have great card rooms with large windows. We will be on the Island May 7-14 and the Coral May 21-28. Any other bridge players on those cruises?

Hi All,

Thanks for the story. I'm just learning, but I would be in the cabin, too - throwing things off the balconey.

DH is in Phenoix (sp) playing in tournement with dear friend who is Bridge Director with Princess, Silversea, Cunard, NCL. Last cruise, as Director, was with Princess on the Island. I believe you do get ACBL points for the cruise. Bridge Directors have to complete both teaching and directing cources that are administered by the ACBL. To qulify for those they must be Life Masters, I believe.

We took a cruise (30 day) from Rome to Bangkok last September. There were so many bridge players that they filled the card room on the Royal. In addition, the Directors wife was quite accomplished so she took on us beginners. There were a steady 20 or so of us. The "Big Guns" played in the card room and we were set up in various lounges or quiet lobbys on deck 6. It worked out great, and two times we went down and played with the Big Guys for practice.

If you subscribe to the ACBL Bulletin, there are "Bridge Cruises" advertised.

Hope this Helps,

Shannon

• 9 years later...
Hi.

I'll be on the Grand in the Med in May/June and wondering if there would be a bridge director on board. It's such a port intensive cruise, maybe not.

Joan

Just for information the Grand Princess does not have any card rooms. I have seen cards played in Sabatini's, Leaves Tea Room, one of the 3 main DR's. I have also seen people playing cards in the Conservatory and in the One5 Nightclub. None of these venues are prefect locations.

We're looking for social bridge players on the Royal Princess leaving St. Petersburg, Russia Sept. 6 for NYC.

Your cruise appears to have several segments. There are two Royal Princess roll call threads that include your sailing. I would post your questions there with your fellow passengers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1809521&highlight=september+6

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1935711&highlight=september+6

Edited by MSN-Travelers

As of May of this year, sailing with Princess, the ONLY cruises with ACBL, sanctioned bridge games are on world cruises. None of the larger ships in the fleet seem to have card rooms, Princess is just not interested.

Coral and Island still have card rooms, many of the earlier card rooms were converted to computer menus, these rooms make money!!

One thing is for sure, my wife and I might cruise with other lines again, where multiple sea days are involved.

Shame on Princess!!

john

A big problem I have is that a single, it's really hard to play - this is on land as well as sea.:confused: Every time I've gone into rooms listed on the Patter, there weren't any other singles hoping to play.

Edited by Treven

WBJ - I don't play bridge, but your post is from a thread that is over nine years old! Hope you can find some fellow players.

As MSN... suggested, check with your roll call.

WBJ - I don't play bridge, but your post is from a thread that is over nine years old! Hope you can find some fellow players.

As MSN... suggested, check with your roll call.

True this is an old thread, but since you don't play bridge, why look at it?

A big problem I have is that a single, it's really hard to play - this is on land as well as sea.:confused: Every time I've gone into rooms listed on the Patter, there weren't any other singles hoping to play.

This is where a director comes in. He, or she will usually pllay wit an odd player out.

Check in the library, there is often a list of potential bridge players there, along with cabin numbers.

john

My contribution to the nine year old thread: We just returned from the Star to Alaska, and DH played social bridge every sea day. He does miss the duplicate play, but he says he can live with this. He goes alone and always finds partners. He just show up at the game and asks.